NHL ONLINE

simonus

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/centerice_online.html

Centre Ice is coming to the internet!

its like $120 for the rest of the season, so not really worth it right now. But for 2007-08, will be awesome!

Right now just for US and Canada, but maybe they expand soon. For those of us who can't get Centre Ice from their cable co, this is about the coolest thing ever.

Hopefully they give good quality feeds.

$150 for an entire season (a hell of a lot more than mlb.tv)... but hey, it is what it is.

its like $120 for the rest of the season, so not really worth it right now. But for 2007-08, will be awesome!

Right now just for US and Canada, but maybe they expand soon. For those of us who can't get Centre Ice from their cable co, this is about the coolest thing ever.

$150 for an entire season (a hell of a lot more than mlb.tv)... but hey, it is what it is.

Pretty cool. But pretty expensive too. Gotta figure out a way to share the costs ... there will be copies being shipped about.

If it was $75 for the whole season, I'd consider paying that much. But $150 is uncalled for. Unless they have a pay per view option ... cause I really don't have time to watch more than 1 game a week anyway ... I usually listen to games anyway, cause at least I can still do some work.

But, as I said ... very coo. The age on internet television is upon us!

This is tremendous news! I was going to buy my own digital box and subscribe to it through that, this will be so much cheaper!

Hopefully the quality of the stream is top notch...

yeah, IIRC doesn't Comcast (under the Versus deal) have the exclusive national webcast rights to the NHL? I think Yahoo licenses through Comcast. I must say that while the video quality from Comcast.net broadcasts is pretty great, it hiccups like crazy and is often unwatchable. Hopefully with the money they are charging they can afford some bigger tubes to send their hockey messages through.

p.s. - think I saw somewhere (can't remember ATM) that the games would be broadcast somewhere between 500-700 kbps

in its infancy mlb.tv had decent to good video resolution but tons of hiccups. MLB has since worked hard at getting everything going well and now it is (to my eyes) basically as good as watching on regular TV.

This is excellent news. I am not sure that I will go for it next year but possibly in the future because 150$ is kind of expensive and I already have it on Express Vu.

This is excellent news. I am not sure that I will go for it next year but possibly in the future because 150$ is kind of expensive and I already have it on Express Vu.

well, it is like 50% off if you have the TV package

do you get a choice of the games to watch?

GO :hlogo: GO!

you get all the games

thanks...

GO :hlogo: GO!

hmmm I'll just move closer to Canada or in Canada then I wouldn't have to pay for games ;)

Haha if only that were remotely true. In fact, the only team that has all of their games available on Basic Cable is Montreal, but of course thats only in Quebec. If you want to see all of the Habs games outside of Quebec you have to get digital cable or a dish. If you want to see all of the Leafs games in the Leafs region, you need digital cable/dish plus a subscription to Leafs TV. Every other Canadian team you need digital cable/dish and you need to fork over some dough for random PPV games.

Haha if only that were remotely true. In fact, the only team that has all of their games available on Basic Cable is Montreal, but of course thats only in Quebec. If you want to see all of the Habs games outside of Quebec you have to get digital cable or a dish. If you want to see all of the Leafs games in the Leafs region, you need digital cable/dish plus a subscription to Leafs TV. Every other Canadian team you need digital cable/dish and you need to fork over some dough for random PPV games.

Pretty much. Even the Canucks have at least a dozen PPV games a year, most likely more.

I live in Montreal/Ottawa, so I don't really care, but that's sweet, that's really great for all you out of towners!

I live in Ottawa as well but it would be sweet to watch the Habs in class!

There's something fairly old now though, you just need a sattelite dish, preferably an Express Vu dish if u liv in Canada and you'd pay about $200 for the receiver, you don't need a smart card and the installer'll take care of all the programming. Obviously this is all illegal, but you could have all the channels for free including NHL Centre Ice lol. The receiver is called coolsat or something like that. It may be somethin you guys wanna consider if you cant catch any of the habs games lol.

I live in Montreal/Ottawa, so I don't really care, but that's sweet, that's really great for all you out of towners!

Yeah just as long as we're not too far out of town :( Can't figure why they wouldn't be offering it for Europe + rest of world, people out here in Asia for example have no other option whatsoever for viewing NHL so it's a small but totally untapped market.

Yeah just as long as we're not too far out of town :( Can't figure why they wouldn't be offering it for Europe + rest of world, people out here in Asia for example have no other option whatsoever for viewing NHL so it's a small but totally untapped market.

i don't know for sure, but I have some ideas:

1) They don't want to install secondary servers outside of North America and don't want to deal with complaints about poor service quality

2) There are pre-existing exclusive licensing contracts with channels such as NASN which prohibits them from offering online service worldwide

PS - the nhl site says that it determines the user's location (for blackout purposes) by IP location. This implies that using a proxy server (perhaps just during login) would allow non-NA users to access the site (although such activity might be prohibited by centre ice online's TOU).