Ranking the prospects

bobby

Criteria is that they must qualify as NHL rookies next season.

1. Jaroslav Halak - Jaro is going to give the first player drafted in 2003, Marc-Andre Fleury, a good run as the top goaltender taken that year. Halak has duplicated or bettered Fleury's accomplishments at various levels since they were drafted, but he has done so a year or two later. But considering that he is half a year younger and had to adapt to a foreign culture along the way, that is expected. Fleury is a bit bigger, and more athletic, but Halak is stronger mentally.

2. Alexei Emelin - Emelin is one of only a handful of teenagers to crack the defense of the Russian National team over the past few years. Volchenkov, Visnevski, Kalinen, and Markov are the others. That is pretty good company in terms of NHL potential.

3. Pavel Valentenko - Has followed in the footsteps of Emelin in terms of his accomplishments in his home country. Style is ideally suited to Canadiens current needs, as a big physical left side defender with some offensive potential. Like Emelin, he excelled against Canada in the Gold Medal game at the WJC, and was named to the preliminary roster for the Senior National team before having to withdraw due to injury.

4. Matt D'Agostini - Fiesty winger is having one of the best seasons of any AHL rookie, including several first round draft picks from 2004 and 2005. He is also one of the youngest players in the league. Eerily similar to current habs Chris Higgins in size, style, and looks, although he is a right handed shot. Rookie AHL production is actually ahead of Higgins to this point.

5. Carey Price - Has all the tools to be a franchise netminder. Mental focus appears to have wavered over his junior career. Had a great U20 WJC, but was shaky as the U18 netminder. Had some brilliant stretches as a WHL netminder, and some mediocre ones. Was unable to carry his team in the playoffs.

6. Ryan White - Rated as a first round talent for the 2006 draft by most scouting services and has justified that respect in his post draft season. Skilled grinder in the style of former WHL star and current NHL star Ryan Smyth. Versatile enough to play on any of the four lines as a pro.

7. Kyle Chipchura - Throwback type of player who plays a great team game but lacks exceptional physical skills. Biggest concern is his skating, which may or may not develop to an acceptable NHL level. The labors of Guillaume Latendresse show what Chipchura will have to face at the next level, and he doesn't have the same hands or strength to compensate.

8. Ben Maxwell - Terrific natural talent, probably the best of any prospect in the organization, but lacking in physical strength. Not a soft player, but somewhat laid back and not as competitive as you would like.

9. Mathieu Carle - Very similar as a defenseman, to Maxwell as a forward. All the natural talent in the world, but slightly undersized and somewhat passive in his play.

10. Sergei Kostitsyn - Infectious enthusiasm for the game and pretty good all round talent have allowed him to dominate at the junior level in his final season of eligibility. He faces somewhat of a logjam in the organization as a small, skilled, right winger, however.

I'm really curious about the two russian DMEN, I was please to see how they played at the WJC but thats all I've seen of them.

I agree that chipuchura lacks skating but he's not the type of player that will get caugh out of place. he's too smart for that. apparently, has tons of leadership, too.

I'm really curious about the two russian DMEN, I was please to see how they played at the WJC but thats all I've seen of them.

That is the only time I've seen them play as well. But the scouts and coaches who choose the National Team in Russia would be watching them all the time, and they seem to consider them the best of their age group at the position. Russia is conventionally considered the #2 hockey country in the world behind Canada, so that amounts to pretty high regard.

I would have no problem offering rookie max, they both looked better than most of the first rounders they played against at the WJC. The sticking point is probably the two way contract, since the AHL salary is only about 1/10 of the NHL salary. Generally if a player can play regularly in the NHL they are worth the 900k or whatever the rookie max is. But if they are borderline, the team is better off to keep a minimum wage guy on the team and send the max player to the AHL. This works out to the advantage of the kid who signed the lower contract since he can be sitting on the bench in the NHL for $450k per season, while the guy with the higher contract is busting his ass in the AHL for around 90k per season. :blink:

That is the real pooblem I believe Emelin is making near $1 million right now why would he want to pass that up to play for less money in a league which may be worse.

Well, I seriously doubt that Emelin is making anywhere close to $1 million a season in Russia at the age of 20. Probably around $150k per season, max. Still that is more than he could make in the AHL, and the cost of living in Russia is probably a fraction of what it would be in North America. As a foreign worker he would have to pay higher taxes here as well, I believe.

That is the real pooblem I believe Emelin is making near $1 million right now why would he want to pass that up to play for less money in a league which may be worse.

I guess to do like malkin and ovechkin who were getting great money to stay in russia: they want to play with the best.

4. Matt D'Agostini - Fiesty winger is having one of the best seasons of any AHL rookie, including several first round draft picks from 2004 and 2005. He is also one of the youngest players in the league. Eerily similar to current habs Chris Higgins in size, style, and looks, although he is a right handed shot. Rookie AHL production is actually ahead of Higgins to this point.

In one of his latest articles, Mathias Brunet from La Presse said that next year, with Murray, Bonk, Johnson and some other oldies gone, D'Agostini might actually be a wild card to crack the Habs roster next season, ahead of almost everyone except Milroy or Chipchura. And it's not that far a fetch since he already has NHL wheels. Not bad for a 6th rounder.

Edited by KoZed

In one of his latest articles, Mathias Brunet from La Presse said that next year, with Murray, Bonk, Johnson and some other oldies gone, D'Agostini might actually be a wild card to crack the Habs roster next season, ahead of almost everyone except Milroy or Chipchura. And it's not that far a fetch since he already has NHL wheels. Not bad for a 6th rounder.

The sign of a high quality scouting department is not necessarily how they draft in the early rounds, but whether or not they can find gems late in the draft. Our scouts seem to be having recent success with that if you look at the drafting of guys like Halak, Valentenko and D'Agostini. This bodes very well for the future for us.

the cost of living in Russia is probably a fraction of what it would be in North America. As a foreign worker he would have to pay higher taxes here as well, I believe.

It's not cheaper to live in Russia than North America. Moscow is like the 3rd most expensive city to live in.

And in Quebec, foreign(non-North American) workers are subject to lower tax rates.

Edited by fromage

Yeah, you pretty much have to look at the group of players taken as a whole in any given draft. Looking back at the Habs history, it was the exception more than the rule when they picked their best prospects with their earliest picks.

It's not cheaper to live in Russia than North America. Moscow is like the 3rd most expensive city to live in.

And in Quebec, foreign(non-North American) workers are subject to lower tax rates.

I don't think that either Emelin or Valentenko play or live in Moscow. Can't argue about the respective cost of living in the countries, but given the recession that occured in Russia recently, it seems strange that the cost of living would be higher than it is here. I beleive that foreign workers are also taxed in their home country, so even if they pay less in Quebec than a native, they probably have to pay more overall.

The sign of a high quality scouting department is not necessarily how they draft in the early rounds, but whether or not they can find gems late in the draft. Our scouts seem to be having recent success with that if you look at the drafting of guys like Halak, Valentenko and D'Agostini. This bodes very well for the future for us.

You forgot A-Cup. ;)

*immature Avs fan enters thread*

Hahahahaha

And to make this relevant, White has been just as impressive in the post season as he was in the regular season. Down 2-0 to Brandon and we've won games 3 and 4 by a combined score of 13-2, thanks in a large part to White. I can't wait till the Habs give him his shot because I've felt he is going to be a great NHLer since before last season. I really, really like him.

10. Sergei Kostitsyn - Infectious enthusiasm for the game and pretty good all round talent have allowed him to dominate at the junior level in his final season of eligibility. He faces somewhat of a logjam in the organization as a small, skilled, right winger, however.

I'm not sure SK can be considered as a small wigner. He's 6"0' and 190, and plays a strong physical game. In the games I've seen him play, he appeared to take the body woth great enthousiasm... to the (obvious) "discomfort" of it's opponent...

Well, I seriously doubt that Emelin is making anywhere close to $1 million a season in Russia at the age of 20. Probably around $150k per season, max. Still that is more than he could make in the AHL, and the cost of living in Russia is probably a fraction of what it would be in North America. As a foreign worker he would have to pay higher taxes here as well, I believe.

I know that Korneev was making 350K last year with AK Bars, although they are considered to be one of the better paying teams. I also know that Lada tripled Emelin's salary this summer but I don't know what his salary was during his rookie year, likely not much. From what I understand the reason why Emelin turned down a contract offer last summer was the money. Perhaps Gainey tried offered him 3rd round money but his agent might be looking for 1st round money as a guess. Or perhaps he was pressured to stay in Russia as his dad is the coach and Lada had a tough year financially while Emelin was one of their better players and likely on a cheap contract.

I'm not sure SK can be considered as a small wigner. He's 6"0' and 190, and plays a strong physical game. In the games I've seen him play, he appeared to take the body woth great enthousiasm... to the (obvious) "discomfort" of it's opponent...

Yeah, SK is a pretty big guy, and doesn't let people push him around on the ice.

Yeah, SK is a pretty big guy, and doesn't let people push him around on the ice.

ask steve downie. He's still woundering what hit him !!!

S. Kostitsyn is at least 200 lbs.

The OHL site and hockeydb say he's 6'0" and 190, while Hockey's Future say he's 5'11" and 183.

I hope he has bulked up to 200...

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4243

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...pid%5B%5D=89832

http://hockeysfuture.com/prospects/sergei_kostitsyn

S. Kostitsyn is at least 200 lbs.

I'd like to know what you're basing that on? By all reports, he's at 190 lbs. He stands a good chance at eventually getting to 200 if he trains properly, since his brother is at that level, with two years head start.

9. Mathieu Carle - Very similar as a defenseman, to Maxwell as a forward. All the natural talent in the world, but slightly undersized and somewhat passive in his play.

Markov is more or less the same way and he's our #1 defenceman. I still have high hopes for Carle. Fischer's potential seems to be slightly higher, yet less safe.

Suggestion : could we add Duncan Milroy, he only played 4-5 games to my knowledge, is that enough to take him out of the recruit status next season? I think Duncan could be a perfect fit with Lapierre and Bégin on fourth line.