Perezhogin signs in Russia, part 2

mathieu30

Alexander Perezhogin s'en retourne en Russie

«J'ai parlé à Bob Gainey et Julien Brisebois aujourd'hui et ils ne sont pas intéressés à égaler de telles offres. Ce sont des montants disproportionnés par rapport à ce qu'il aurait pu gagner à Montréal.»

«Il y a peut-être des raisons familiales qui ont joué, mais c'est essentiellement une décision financière»

-Don Meehan

Perezhogin bolts Habs for Russia

Meehan said that Perezhogin will net $1.7 million U.S.

"That works out to about $3.4 million gross in the NHL and it's unlikely the Canadiens could match that," Meehan said. Perezhogin earned $627,000 last season.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit! I've been anticipating Perezhogin's breakout year for a while now... and I guess that'll be in Russia.

Best of luck, Alex.

Too bad, but I can understand his decision. In Russia he'll not only make more money and be closer to friends and family, but he will also have more ice time and probably play on the first line (as far as I know, 1,7 million a year is a first liner / star salary in Russia). In Montreal, he couldn't hope to play on the first line (nor even second). I don't think he enjoyed is time playing with Bonk and Johnson on the third with a primary defensive role...

1.7?? i do not believe he had that much money to play in Russia. It

must be less money around 1 million but it must be to make sure that the habs won't come back with an offer.

He is no Malkin or Ovechkin. He is not a Morozov either.

If they give this kind of money, can they sign Samsonov??

It would be at least a relief to the headaches that those russians gave to the Habs. Or at leat a relief would be Markov coming back with us.

- Samsonov eating money not deserving it.

- Losing a first round pick in Perezhogin , three years of hope and development for absolutely nothing.

- Difficulty to bring our two best defenseman prospect in America.

- And all of those Kovalev russian newspaper vendetta on the coaches.

Anyway we have now have a spot back for Johnson.

Last week it was a no thank you now we need a reliable experienced two way player that wants to play in Montreal.

Good luck Alex.

I agree. I wanted Johnson to stay before Perezhogin left but now it makes a lot more sense.

I don't know if anyone in Hamilton is ready for third line duty.

It does suck to lose an asset for nothing and whether he was developing slowly or not the kid had top-six potential. I'm disappointed but you can't blame him, more money to play closer to home.

Edited by Talon

good luck to him.

does anyone else feel that we may not draft russians next summer, with samsonov and also kovalev being in the coachs black book ??

good luck to him.

does anyone else feel that we may not draft russians next summer, with samsonov and also kovalev being in the coachs black book ??

BOb seems to be moving away from this trend judging by the 2006 draft. The exception would be Valentenko. I don't mind those picks becasue given where he was picked; if you must get a Russian, get a "Valentenko" if you can.

Perezhogin has definitely opened up the door to a player. No doubt Sergei Kostitsyn is liking this development.

We may still through some move be able to retain his rights for future trades. I hope so.

I agree. I wanted Johnson to stay before Perezhogin left but now it makes a lot more sense.

I don't know if anyone in Hamilton is ready for third line duty.

It does suck to lose an asset for nothing and whether he was developing slowly or not the kid had top-six potential. I'm disappointed but you can't blame him, more money to play closer to home.

I think if he felt he actually had a chance to play here in an offensive role, he would have taken the less money and played in North America, but I think he thinks the team has him pegged, and I can't blame him for feeling that way... I felt he never got a real, extended opportunity to show what he could do on an offensive line... Too bad, and too bad we lose him for nothing as well... Anyone know how it would work if he decided he wanted to play in the NHL a few years later? Would the Habs still have his rights, or could another team get him? How does it work.

If he goes he goes. There is much better young talent already on the roster. If he doesn't want to be a habs, good ridence. It's about time the Habs clean house and get rid of whinners (not saying perez was), people who don't give there all to play for there team and players that just float. Hopefully he is the beginning of other players leaving (kovalev, Samsonov) I can think of a few others.

Why does everyone make the jump that because a few Russian players don't want to be here or whine it has some thing to do with other players coming in. BG is VERY well respected.

Money and actually winning has more to do with players coming over. Markov likes being a habs, I wish they had maore players like that.

If he goes he goes. There is much better young talent already on the roster.

I don't see what prospects the Habs have that can play effective third line minutes (as well as Perezhogin did).

I would rather not see Kostitsyn stuck on the third line and no one on the Dogs is ready for that kind of responsibility. I think a UFA will have to be brought in to plug this hole...and Johnson might get his wish to stay with the Habs now.

I think you will see Higgins Pleks and Kosty as line 2.

Chipchura and Johnson, will be part of either the third or 4th line, with Begin and lapierre doing the other line. The Habs need to add some size and grit to the 3rd and 4th line. A real goon will help.

I honetly don't know who is on the farm currently besides Chipchura and lapierre who should make the team next year.

Who in their right mind would draft Russians anymore? Unless you're getting a sure thing superstar (Malkin, Semin) or an unbelievable steal, the risks are simply too great.

semin did hold out on a contract.

they can have quite an easy living down there. I can't say I wouldn't do it if i were them.

I think you will see Higgins Pleks and Kosty as line 2.

Chipchura and Johnson, will be part of either the third or 4th line, with Begin and lapierre doing the other line. The Habs need to add some size and grit to the 3rd and 4th line. A real goon will help.

I honetly don't know who is on the farm currently besides Chipchura and lapierre who should make the team next year.

Chipchura could probably use another year in Hamilton.

Johnson might not be back.

I would assume that Bonk is gone.

Lapierre will probably have a spot (although he still has work to do).

Begin is a fourth liner (especially if he maintains the level of play of the past season) and an overpaid one in my opinion. Although I really hope last season was just the result of injuries.

Milroy and Ferland are career AHL type players who could probably fill in for fourth line duty in case of injuries.

And Carbo seems to like the idea of a shut down third line (as do I) so Grabovski certainly won't be on it.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

Yea i agree, i actually think Chpichura will make it. I think they need to sign a couple of couple of big tough grinders a Primeua, Torres a couple like that. I

I think Johnson will be resigned. He would be a great teacher for Chipchura.

If he goes he goes. There is much better young talent already on the roster. If he doesn't want to be a habs, good ridence. It's about time the Habs clean house and get rid of whinners (not saying perez was), people who don't give there all to play for there team and players that just float. Hopefully he is the beginning of other players leaving (kovalev, Samsonov) I can think of a few others.

Why does everyone make the jump that because a few Russian players don't want to be here or whine it has some thing to do with other players coming in. BG is VERY well respected.

Money and actually winning has more to do with players coming over. Markov likes being a habs, I wish they had maore players like that.

I don't mind cleaning house if we're getting rid of Kovy and Sammy or floaters, but Perogie was never any of these things. Every indication here is we're losing the hardworking guy who could have made a difference if he'd actually gotten a real chance and are still stuck with 8 million in Salary for the whiners/floaters Kovy and Sammy. That, to me, is not a good thing. And Kovy will whine and whine, but he won't leave and forfeit his salary, and no one's going to want him at the rate he's making right now, so we're stuck with him...

Yeah, money and winning has to do with players coming over, but we've got to START the winning somewhere to ATTRACT the other players, and I thought Perogie could have been a big, not too expensive part of that. I really hope Carbo improves his communication to the players next year or this will be the beginning of a trend we won't like at all... :blink:

What is all this blame Carbo stuff? Carbonneau may have an issue with Samsonov and maybe Kovalev. We know that. Where is it written that Perezhogin is doing this because of Carbo and only Carbo or ARE WE ASSUMING THIS?

You know what they say about the word "assume" eh?

Zhog's getting offered 1.7M$ per season. No way it would have made any sense for Gainey to match such an offer. 1.7M$ is what real contributors with similar experience like Higgins and Plex will get this summer. Zhog's not worth that yet.

We've got the depth up front to not even notice Zhog's gone. The kid has just 128 games experience in the NHL and supposedly he already whined to the medias in Russia about the Habs.

Let him go. No big loss.

So, when do we lose the RFA rights to him? Is it July 1 2008?

We retain his rights utill july 1 2011 when he turns 27. Bob would have to sign him for 3.4 mill and that ain't going to happen. while perogy wins with more $ in the short term he loses long term where he would make a lot more in the nhl. I predict he will be another player that will fade in our memory in a very short time. I liked the kid he had a lot of potential, but he decided to leave and I wish him the best of luck.