Perezhogin signs in Russia, part 2

mathieu30

In a way, it is sad to see him go - I liked the guy. But it might be better for him to play couple of years in Russia and get hungry for playing in NHL again (if we keep his right).

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is all this blame Carbo stuff? Carbonneau may have an issue with Samsonov and maybe Kovalev. We know that. Where is it written that Perezhogin is doing this because of Carbo and only Carbo or ARE WE ASSUMING THIS?

You know what they say about the word "assume" eh?

Yeah, I know what they say about assume... I'm suggesting it based on the fact that he was often scratched, or when dressed, benched for long periods of time after making small mistakes or taking stupid penalties, penalties and mistakes that, when made by other young players, they were given multiple chances to improve. He's young, young players make mistakes and NEED patience. He was also rarely tried in offensive roles...

I don't think the habs should have paid him anywhere near the kind of money he's going to get now in Russia, but I still figure he may have stayed if he thought he actually had a chance to show what he could do. Instead, every time he made the slightest mistake, he was punished, and I'm all for discipline, but Carbo didn't dole it out relatively or consistently with his players. He stuck Perogie in his dog house early in the season and just COULDN'T let him dig his way out no matter what happened... and the punishment didn't fit the crime (stupid penalties; it's not like you could accuse the guy of lazyness like some others... Cough, Kovy)

Yeah, as much as this is sad for us we can see the glass half full. That is, our team is stacked with wingers - arguably too many.

If O'Byrne, Carle, Emelin or a center did this it would be worse. At least we lost a player that we have depth at the position.

If a genie popped out of a bottle a week ago and said "choose between Zhogs and Emelin", what would we likely have wished for?

Yeah, as much as this is sad for us we can see the glass half full. That is, our team is stacked with wingers - arguably too many.

I'm trying to find positives (but I will have to wait until next season to see who takes Perezhogin's spot etc.,) but I think the reality of the situation is fairly negative. Regardless of the reason Perezhogin left and regardless of whether he was a bust or not...it always sucks when a first round pick leaves an organization and there is no return.

Perez wasn't any kind of asset with his concussion and his total lack of creativity. He always did the same thing : skate fast, deke, lost the puck by himself and/or dump it in the corner, skate fast to get there first, get checked on the board and loose the puck...

I wasn't a perez' s fan and this move does't surprise me at all. He always use to act smooth and has to be "challenged" to perform.

Oh, and last season, he got 48 pm. It might be like 40 for hooking... I never understood why with his speed, he has to hook so much, maybe lazyness.

Good luck in Russia.

Edited by JoeLassister

If O'Byrne, Carle, Emelin or a center did this it would be worse. At least we lost a player that we have depth at the position.

If a genie popped out of a bottle a week ago and said "choose between Zhogs and Emelin", what would we likely have wished for?

even if we were going to trade him, at least we could have gotten something back, arguably depth at a position we had no depth at... and don't be so sure we're not going to lose Emelin yet. They still have to sign him, and he still has to come here and go through Hamilton, etc... It's early days for Emelin, I hope things work out with him.

We still retain his rights and can still trade him so that option is not gone yet. Maybe he wants to play for someone else or maybe this is a negotiating tool. He proably has an out clause but at 1.7 mill he will find no takers in NHL let's just wait and see what happens.

As his agent made clear, 1.7 is worth way more there than here. He probably won't get taxed much, and his cost of living is lower. Also, he will get to play way more. I think this was the best decision for him since he wasn't getting what he wanted here.

Too bad Carbo didn't give him a real chance instead if Samsonov. In retrospect he would have performed better, and cost less.

Que sera sera ... good luck perogie!

It always sucks when a first round pick leaves an organization and there is no return.

And who says there will be no return? For all we know we have another Alexander Semin on our hands. He could come back in 2008-09 with a season of top line duty under his belt and be a force.

And who says there will be no return? For all we know we have another Alexander Semin on our hands. He could come back in 2008-09 with a season of top line duty under his belt and be a force.

I just don't see this as a positive thing...

I'm not nearly as optimistic as you if you honestly think that that is what is going to happen with Perezhogin...it would be nice..but I have my doubts.

Perezhogin had the tool box that is for sure he scored some beautiful goals. He was the Canadiens best fore checker this season and was not afraid to hit. He was not given a chance to put up numbers, was rarely on the power play (pretty much never) and almost always played against other teams best players in a defensive role.

I will miss him very much as I really believed and still do that he can be a top 6 offensive player on a very good team. But the decision was right for him more money and a bigger role which means that is what he wanted a bigger role something he might never have received in Montreal because other players were in my opinion unfairly given chances over him. This is a loss for nothing as of right now and if he does not come back it really is a crappy way to lose a first rounder. ‘

\

I just don't see this as a positive thing...

I'm not nearly as optimistic as you if you honestly think that that is what is going to happen with Perezhogin...it would be nice..but I have my doubts.

I don't expect it to happen, but I see it as a no loss situation. We have a lot of wingers and can always bring Johnson back for depth. If he was unhappy, then I say good riddance for now. An unhappy player isn't gonna help the team. Let him make some good money and if all goes well, he'll explode and come back eager to prove the team wrong.

I don't expect it to happen, but I see it as a no loss situation. We have a lot of wingers and can always bring Johnson back for depth. If he was unhappy, then I say good riddance for now. An unhappy player isn't gonna help the team. Let him make some good money and if all goes well, he'll explode and come back eager to prove the team wrong.

I see your point...It just stings when a first round choice doesn't work out...I mean, it happens all the time but it still sucks.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: First great day of the offseason!!!!!

Since there is no happy dance emoticon I guess this will have to do.

This guy is the most overrated "prospect" of all time by this board.

Now we are free and clear of all the "put Perez on the first line and watch him fly" comments. Like he ever earned a shot at the first line.... :rolleyes: and like he would have a clue what to do if given the opportunity. He looked absolutely lost in the NHL IMO.

I wouldn't have re-signed him at $1.7M let alone the $3.4M that he got (that is the equivalent of $1.7 net in Montreal) He can rot in Russia for all I care, we have others with talent that need a shot.

(Good for Don Meehan finding a sweet deal like that. Those numbers are not possible without him playing in Montreal first though)

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: First great day of the offseason!!!!!

Since there is no happy dance emoticon I guess this will have to do.

This guy is the most overrated "prospect" of all time by this board.

This is what I find odd..that people see this as a positive thing...even if you hated Perezhogin and in your opinion, thought he was overrated, well then the Habs wasted a first round pick.

Indifference I can understand, but being happy about it?

This is what I find odd..that people see this as a positive thing...even if you hated Perezhogin and in your opinion, thought he was overrated, well then the Habs wasted a first round pick.

Indifference I can understand, but being happy about it?

Get over the first round pick thing already. The Habs had 2 in that draft year and he was the second one from a (fleecing by Mtl) trade with Washington for Linden+.

You must have been devestated with the ENTIRE 90's. They were wasted first round picks for (many teams not just) the habs....it happens, that's why they are called "prospects" .

I'm happy because we didn't waste another 2 or maybe even 3 years as well as the cap hit giving him ice time and special training just to finally figure out he is not going to live up to potential ala Ponikarovsky and Antropov (to name a few)

Edited by Habitforming

I'm happy because we didn't waste another 2...

Yeah, good point. A Perezhogin in Montreal meant another prospect riding pine in the AHL. Kostitsyn suffered as a direct result of Perezhogin winning the numbers game. Sammy being acquired didn't help Kostitsyn's cause either.

If Perezhogin had stayed I wonder who would have to wait next year.

Get over the first round pick thing already. The Habs had 2 in that draft year and he was the second one from a (fleecing by Mtl) trade with Washington for Linden+.

You must have been devestated with the ENTIRE 90's. They were wasted first round picks for (many teams not just) the habs....it happens, that's why they are called "prospects" .

I'm happy because we didn't waste another 2 or maybe even 3 years as well as the cap hit giving him ice time and special training just to finally figure out he is not going to live up to potential ala Ponikarovsky and Antropov (to name a few)

I said earlier that I understand that sometimes picks don't turn out, doesn't mean it doesn't suck when it happens. As for Perezhogin, I saw a lot of potential in the kid and he fit in well on the third line. I don't see any prospects that can step up and do what he did this up coming season. I'm hoping Kostitsyn gets top 6 and I think he will flourish if given the opportunity. But with Bonk and Johnson probably gone (maybe not) the third line has to be re-built basically and the Habs don't have the prospects to do this..it will have to be through UFA's which will probably end up costing more.

Im not saying they should have matched the offer and over-paid Perezhogin I just think this might cause a bit of trouble filling spots. Losing depth is never a good thing.

Edited by Talon

Too bad he is leaving. Best of luck; Montreal will just turn the page and promote another young player. All is not bad with change, sometimes another player excels at the chance to play. Lookin forward to trainig camp.

Anybody willling to turn his back on his team gets no sympathy from me. He is not untradeable either. If Ottawa can get Comrie for Kaigorodov then the Habs could get a similar return later in the season.

My thoughts exactly! People were saying the same thing about Semin when he left for Russia. This is good move for Perez, he will go to Russia and gain confidence, ice time and possibly some more skill. I would bet that if he is tearing it up consistently over the next year or two, he will be back in a habs uni and will surprise a hell of a lot of people. At least I hope :)

Edited by cfposi

I really think this is a big loss. Absolutely, BG can't match 1.7 net, so he had to let it go, but I was really looking forward to Perogie's next season. He was a little disgruntled, but I don't blame him for that either, as he generally didn't complain in public - in the famous Russian article, he didn't complain about being given a defensive role, and actually put a positive spin on it. Oh well, the good news is that he ever does explode as a superstar, the Habs will still hold the rights...

This would have sounded crazy a day ago, but could this possibly lead Gainey to reevaluate maybe giving Samsonov a last shot at redeeming himself in October?

So this isn't just a bargaining ploy?

Doesn't look like it.