Perezhogin signs in Russia, part 2

mathieu30

Perezhogin did what was best for him...can't blame him for that. More money, and a chance to play his style of game...how could he not make that decision?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said earlier that I understand that sometimes picks don't turn out, doesn't mean it doesn't suck when it happens. As for Perezhogin, I saw a lot of potential in the kid and he fit in well on the third line. I don't see any prospects that can step up and do what he did this up coming season. I'm hoping Kostitsyn gets top 6 and I think he will flourish if given the opportunity. But with Bonk and Johnson probably gone (maybe not) the third line has to be re-built basically and the Habs don't have the prospects to do this..it will have to be through UFA's which will probably end up costing more.

Im not saying they should have matched the offer and over-paid Perezhogin I just think this might cause a bit of trouble filling spots. Losing depth is never a good thing.

What am I missing here?

What did he do so well this season that we can't fill with Ferland, Chipchura, Milroy, Sergei Kostitsyn or even a UFA or trade for a $1M or less player?

Surely it can't be the 6 goals and 15 points? No on will ever be able to do that for us on the third line...IN 68 GAMES! :rolleyes:

What am I missing here?

What did he do so well this season that we can't fill with Ferland, Chipchura, Milroy, Sergei Kostitsyn or even a UFA or trade for a $1M or less player?

Surely it can't be the 6 goals and 15 points? No on will ever be able to do that for us on the third line...IN 68 GAMES! :rolleyes:

Ferland is a career AH'er

Chipchura could probably use another year in Hamilton

Milroy is also probably a career AHL'er fill in fourth liner

S. Kostitsyn is no where near being ready

1 million for a UFA to play on the 3rd line is one million less the Habs can spend else where.

Sure, Perezhogin might have disappointed in the points department but he was a solid third liner who was the best backchecker on the team. Also, the potential was there for more...but my main point is that the Habs have lost a bit of depth now...one more player that they have to try and replace...that is why I don't see it as positive.

So continue to roll your eyes if that makes you feel good but I still see this as a negative thing

I really think this is a big loss. Absolutely, BG can't match 1.7 net, so he had to let it go, but I was really looking forward to Perogie's next season. He was a little disgruntled, but I don't blame him for that either, as he generally didn't complain in public - in the famous Russian article, he didn't complain about being given a defensive role, and actually put a positive spin on it. Oh well, the good news is that he ever does explode as a superstar, the Habs will still hold the rights...

This would have sounded crazy a day ago, but could this possibly lead Gainey to reevaluate maybe giving Samsonov a last shot at redeeming himself in October?

Yeah that's a nice and positive way to look at this. :clap:

I'm still sad to see him go. He was gaining experience and I believed he would have been a great contributor next year on the 3rd checking-with-speed line. He did finished last year 1st for +/-. Yes he took stupid penalities but let's not forget his implication at 5-on 5.

This guy is the most overrated "prospect" of all time by this board.

No, that would be...the incredible Mathieu 'NEXT PATRICK ROY' Garon. :lol:

Or maybe SURE-THING 50-GOAL SCORER Marcel Hossa :lol::lol:

Or GUARANTEED TOP-SIX FORWARD Jozef Balej :lol::lol::lol:

And let's not forget that Jan Bulis was supposed to be a scoring machine if only the coaches would use him correctly. Clearly Alain Vigneault has proven that :lol::lol::lol::lol:

(There's a secret message in this post. And that is that people on this board systematically overrate young players. Hint, hint.)

Anyway, the Habs have not really lost an asset. As long as we retain his rights, he could return. So stay cool.

I thought Zhogs could go either way...but Carbo ultimately had enough success with the young players that I'll trust his judgement in this case. (His problem was the vets, from Rivet to Sammy to Kovalev to God knows who else).

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

This is bad news, looks like Carbos brainless tactics are finally showing their consequences. Improperly used all season, scapegoated by the narrowminded and big mouthed and now he gets fed up and goes where he is wanted and out come the cowards to take pot shots, hilarious!

The guy played hard every night, led the team in +/-, didn't complain about being benched and improperly used and what does he get?

- Put on the damn checking line to waste away

- Gets to watch while slow rookie Lats gets top line spot

- 8 minutes a game whoopee

- Scapegoated time and again for pathetic team failures

- Sat out in important games

Carbo gets one more season to redeem his abysmal season and if he doesnt succeed he will be the first thing smoking out the door on his 4$$. He was the fastest damn player on the team and Carbo blew it.

I really think this is a big loss. Absolutely, BG can't match 1.7 net, so he had to let it go, but I was really looking forward to Perogie's next season. He was a little disgruntled, but I don't blame him for that either, as he generally didn't complain in public - in the famous Russian article, he didn't complain about being given a defensive role, and actually put a positive spin on it. Oh well, the good news is that he ever does explode as a superstar, the Habs will still hold the rights...

This would have sounded crazy a day ago, but could this possibly lead Gainey to reevaluate maybe giving Samsonov a last shot at redeeming himself in October?

Usually, superstars create things on ice, something Perez don't... No big deal here, and he had at least 1 severe concussion also, never good for a young player... I won't miss him at all since i think D'Agostini could easily fit his role.

One other thing...how do we know that he wouldn't have taken the $3.4 million EVEN IF Carbo had used him 'properly'? We're assuming this is a protest rather than a simple mercenary move.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Regardless of the main problem ( the problem of the Habs' essential focus and use of its more talented players)

the Perez problem cannot be amplified to more than what it is!... yes he is another "Soviet" player... yes we lost potential talent. But remember how he still made Claude Julien lose the little hair he had left! (at least from what the reports were back last season)

So lets not expand this needlessly.. at least until we see the repercussions!

besides... he's only 23 and don't we still have his rights after the 2 years are done? donno :P

I said earlier that I understand that sometimes picks don't turn out, doesn't mean it doesn't suck when it happens. As for Perezhogin, I saw a lot of potential in the kid and he fit in well on the third line. I don't see any prospects that can step up and do what he did this up coming season. I'm hoping Kostitsyn gets top 6 and I think he will flourish if given the opportunity. But with Bonk and Johnson probably gone (maybe not) the third line has to be re-built basically and the Habs don't have the prospects to do this..it will have to be through UFA's which will probably end up costing more.

Im not saying they should have matched the offer and over-paid Perezhogin I just think this might cause a bit of trouble filling spots. Losing depth is never a good thing.

IF the Habs plans are to get TWO top forwards from UFA and trade... (remember trade people it wont be only UFA that we get the reinforcements up front... thats a certainty!)... then that means Plek drops to the third line!

and PLEK is one hell of a good 3rd line Centre! add any of the mentioned Chips Lapierre etc

we should not have a problem with the 3rd and 4th line Im certain! beside there is always a Johnson or 25 and over hard worker to fill in the need for under 1.5 Mil

Disappointing... very disappointing...

I know we have other prospects coming up that will fill in that slot but still... I had very high hopes for him in our colours...

Very disappointing...

GO :hlogo: GO!

Ferland is a career AH'er

Chipchura could probably use another year in Hamilton

Milroy is also probably a career AHL'er fill in fourth liner

S. Kostitsyn is no where near being ready

1 million for a UFA to play on the 3rd line is one million less the Habs can spend else where.

Sure, Perezhogin might have disappointed in the points department but he was a solid third liner who was the best backchecker on the team. Also, the potential was there for more...but my main point is that the Habs have lost a bit of depth now...one more player that they have to try and replace...that is why I don't see it as positive.

So continue to roll your eyes if that makes you feel good but I still see this as a negative thing

O.k. Don't get me wrong here. I'm not rolling my eyes at you or your posts, I was making light of his stats and the "big role" he plays on the club. Third lines have never won cups for anyone.

I realize that Milroy and Ferland are career AHL'ers and young Kostitsyn isn't ready (chipchura is ready though) but that was part of my point. What little Perez did this year could be duplicated by guys that a) aren't redy for the jump or B) are likely career AHL'ers.

As for being upset about losing depth, it really doesn't matter. We have loads of players for his position and no matter who we get rid of like Sammy, Kovalev, Ryder etc etc we are losing depth and yet it still has to be done.

If we sign a top tier centre (Drury, Briere, Gomez etc) or another quality top 6 guy (yeah Kariya, I'm talkin to you!) then it all evens out anyway. The only way his departure can be a loss is if the Habs front office does nothing in the offseason (even then we own his rights, and it wouldn't be a big loss anyway) so lets wait til training camp opens and see if we have a reason to be disappointed with him not being on the third line.

True. And if they did sign a top line center and Plekanec is back on the 3rd (where, as stated above, he will be very effective) that will help out big time. I guess I'm just disappointed that a kid with potential has packed it in (maybe he will return)..especially considering the time, money etc that went into developing him. Thats all.

There is a chance that Gainey won't be able to lure high-end UFA talent here though.

Edited by Talon

IF the Habs plans are to get TWO top forwards from UFA and trade... (remember trade people it wont be only UFA that we get the reinforcements up front... thats a certainty!)... then that means Plek drops to the third line!

and PLEK is one hell of a good 3rd line Centre! add any of the mentioned Chips Lapierre etc

we should not have a problem with the 3rd and 4th line Im certain! beside there is always a Johnson or 25 and over hard worker to fill in the need for under 1.5 Mil

Oh yeah man right on. Imagine Drury/Gomez/Brière - Koivu - Plex - Lapierre at center next season. Would be awesome.

This is bad news, looks like Carbos brainless tactics are finally showing their consequences. Improperly used all season, scapegoated by the narrowminded and big mouthed and now he gets fed up and goes where he is wanted and out come the cowards to take pot shots, hilarious!

The guy played hard every night, led the team in +/-, didn't complain about being benched and improperly used and what does he get?

- Put on the damn checking line to waste away

- Gets to watch while slow rookie Lats gets top line spot

- 8 minutes a game whoopee

- Scapegoated time and again for pathetic team failures

- Sat out in important games

Carbo gets one more season to redeem his abysmal season and if he doesnt succeed he will be the first thing smoking out the door on his 4$$. He was the fastest damn player on the team and Carbo blew it.

I encourage you to send that thought to Bob Gainey and see if he replies, let alone even agrees with you?

I encourage you to send that thought to Bob Gainey and see if he replies, let alone even agrees with you?

That's just OneSharpMarble. Whadda ya do? During the offseason we see every type of fan for this team reveal their nature. OSM, is just an anti-fan and I don't mean that insultingly. Some fans skip and jump in the offseason and get all happy and excited while OSM and others like him tend to vent as a result of our team stinking the year before.

I'm not insulting OSM since one of my best friends is an anti-fan too. We just react differently.

PS. There's probably a better term to describe this perspective other than "anti-fan". Best I could think of.

And why exactly would I care what Bob Gainey thinks? I am sure in your books he is God made flesh but stepping back and looking at this team he has put together does little to enforce that. Some role players, a great goltender he had nothing to do with and prospects drafted by the last guy aren't exactly winning me over here.

The Souray Fiasco really shook the foundation, turning a win/win situation into lose/lose because he sat on his hands, seemingly petrified to act. Trust me, Carbo gets one more season (maybe less) after that even Bob wont be throwing out excuses for his old buddy. Good player does not always = good coach.

When Gainey grows a spine and addresses the real problems let's talk again and I will give him his due, until then no way.

He showed great potential when put in a position to produce. When he was the LW for Koivu and Kovalev in 2005-06, as well as later that year when he was on the right side with Plekanec and Zednik (and into the playoffs). With Bonk and Johnson, he was told to lineup against the best in the world every night. He rarely saw a shift on an offensive line. Then he got a concussion. It was a bad year for Perezhogin, but he was definitely young and talented enough to rebound from it.

That year long AHL suspension did affect his development and his position in the organization for sure. Had he been able to spend the lockout in Hamilton I think we'd have seen a much different player. Unfortunately he still doesn't seem to have found a role on the team other than "Plan B or C".

Here's a thought for a replacement on the 3rd line: Mark Streit. But that's a different conversation, and would require a lot of tinkering with our D which right now is still the biggest question mark on the team.

And why exactly would I care what Bob Gainey thinks? I am sure in your books he is God made flesh but stepping back and looking at this team he has put together does little to enforce that. Some role players, a great goltender he had nothing to do with and prospects drafted by the last guy aren't exactly winning me over here.

The Souray Fiasco really shook the foundation, turning a win/win situation into lose/lose because he sat on his hands, seemingly petrified to act. Trust me, Carbo gets one more season (maybe less) after that even Bob wont be throwing out excuses for his old buddy. Good player does not always = good coach.

When Gainey grows a spine and addresses the real problems let's talk again and I will give him his due, until then no way.

No GOD is God in my eyes - not someone here on earth. What an insult that statement is!

And yeah rip Gainey's hiring and then not even care what he thinks.....

He's in charge - you aren't! So maybe you should quit making such statements on his behalf.

He isn't perfect and I damn well see the weaknesses in this club. I was not one of those making ridiculous claims prior to the second half of the season! I was in fact one of those pointing out several of the inadequacies in this team..... especially behind the blueline.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but you've been sharpening the axe far too long on this one to care any more. So I agree to disagree on this one.