Assuming everyone here wants Lecavalier...

cfposi

Why not let him be. Sign Drury or Gomez, Sourey, Markov, Ryder, Bonk, and Johnson. Dump the dead weight, ie, guys who play with one eye at 4.5 mil instead of going on long term IR, allowing team to sign player with both eyes, and others not needing mention here. Then let the kids play. I'd rather that then sell the farm for one center.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dump the dead weight, ie, guys who play with one eye at 4.5 mil instead of going on long term IR

... except that one-eyed player was better than almost every one of our other two-eyed players, not to mention our leading scorer.

Good plan! :wacko:

... except that one-eyed player was better than almost every one of our other two-eyed players, not to mention our leading scorer.

Good plan! :wacko:

and had his best season ever !!

Guys, we can't afford Lecavalier under the cap by only giving a package of prospects! We have to give players who can play now + Tampa will WANT players who can play now because they are a team that needs to be winning to attract fans to their building!

The only way we could make it work were if we didn't sign Markov or Souray/any UFA we could bring in this year. That would pretty much turn us into what Tampa Bay is now.

And last but not least - WHY? "but we may have no choice" - cfposi. Of course, we have a choice. Why give away a package of quality players when there are guys like Briere, Drury, Gomez, Kariya, etc, etc, etc on the UFA market. It's a very strong year for UFA, and we can fix a lot of our teams problems without giving any players - just a lot of money.

And last but not least - WHY? "but we may have no choice" - cfposi. Of course, we have a choice. Why give away a package of quality players when there are guys like Briere, Drury, Gomez, Kariya, etc, etc, etc on the UFA market. It's a very strong year for UFA, and we can fix a lot of our teams problems without giving any players - just a lot of money.

Dude...ya kinda mis-quoted me there...

I said we MAY have no choice but to trade away decent prospects IF we wanted Lecavs...I didn't say we had no choice but to trade for Lecavs. Like I said...this is just for discussion/entertainment purposes. That said, I don't think you can compare "guys like Briere, Drury, Gomez, Kariya, etc, etc, etc " to Vinny...hes just a much much better hockey player than them. And yes we could not sign BOTH Souray and Markov as well as sign other UFAs while pulling in Vinny...but we could afford to trade for Vinny and keep Markov. All in all, if we got our hands on Vinny, kept Markov and let souray go...I think we would definitely have a better team than TB has now...I think we'd have something significantly better.

That said...you also make excellent points...it may not be worth trading the farm for one guy, but I think we have a nice deep farm that we can give a few up for a franchise changer like Vinny. This is all assuming of course that he even WANTS to come to Montreal...im not necessarily convinced of that.

Edited by cfposi

These threads always seem a little desperate to me...but what the hell, I'll throw in another 2c.

The rumour, I recall, involved KOIVU as part of a package for Lecavalier. Getting Koivu back would give TB a tremendous leader and playoff performer and a splendid 2nd line C at half the price of Lacavalier. So that makes some sense for them.

Throw in another winger or two and, say, Halak, it's not that far-fetched.

(We can't deal Huet, though. We need a goaltender too, remember?)

Dude...ya kinda mis-quoted me there...

I said we MAY have no choice but to trade away decent prospects IF we wanted Lecavs...I didn't say we had no choice but to trade for Lecavs. Like I said...this is just for discussion/entertainment purposes. That said, I don't think you can compare "guys like Briere, Drury, Gomez, Kariya, etc, etc, etc " to Vinny...hes just a much much better hockey player than them. And yes we could not sign BOTH Souray and Markov as well as sign other UFAs while pulling in Vinny...but we could afford to trade for Vinny and keep Markov. All in all, if we got our hands on Vinny, kept Markov and let souray go...I think we would definitely have a better team than TB has now...I think we'd have something significantly better.

The whole thing just makes no sense - we're basically trading a first line forward, a franchise goaltender a, solid physical defenceman + a pick (could be anyone) for 1 franchise center. And you say even say that you're also trading Souray for him because without the trade you could have Souray or any UFA on the market, some who really do come close to Vinny and definitely for the salary they'll receive. It's not worth gutting our team for 1 player. Yes, we have tons of prospects but if we trade Kostitsyn and Price, we don't have a single guy in the system with star potential. And it's always important to hang on to your odd franchise player or two right? That IS the whole point of getting Vinny, right? It's 1 franchise player, 1 awesome player and 1 very good player for 1 franchise player. The only difference is that the guy we get is proven - but S7.2M

Big 4?

lecavalier

st louis

richard

boyle

that 4, 4 players! ha ha ha!!

300px-CT-p0001-ST.jpg

Edited by marky_and_komi

Well reports are that feaster may have to break them up because the TB ownership group has lowered their budget.

As mentioned TB does not need goaltending prospects, in fact I would say their best two prospects are goalie oddly enough.

TB would not want Koivu.

Lecaviller is an excellent player and I would love to have him in Montreal but I would imagine if he were traded it would be out west and the Canadiens would only be used as leverage to drive the price up.

If anyone is traded though I think it will be Marty to the Blues. (Why well because it is just so fitting.

Price, ####, Emelin and a 1st is waaay too much for Vinny. And like others have said, it's very unlikely that TB would trade Vinny for a bunch of prospects. They're a team that needs to keep winning NOW. However, if two years go by and Vinny wants to sign with the Habs, I'd be all for it. But I just honestly can't see Bob moving three of our best prospects for one (expensive) player who may only last two seasons.

BTW... that "Play Smart" card you have in your avatar, cfposi? That's from what... 1991 Pro Set? I have that one somewhere. :D

Haha yeah, I have that same exact card too.

Lecavalier won't come here.

No Quebec born player wants to play here because of the crazy media.

Dandenault signed here as a free agent.

We also have other guys like Begin, Bouillon, Latendresse and Lapierre.

Dandenault signed here as a free agent.

We also have other guys like Begin, Bouillon, Latendresse and Lapierre.

Those are more or less role players.

I'm talking about the big boys. The stars. They won't come here. Heck the only player that I know wanted to play in Canada was Luongo because he wanted the pressure.

If you did a straw poll I can almost guarantee most Canadian born players would prefer not to play in Canada.

Those are more or less role players.

I'm talking about the big boys. The stars. They won't come here. Heck the only player that I know wanted to play in Canada was Luongo because he wanted the pressure.

If you did a straw poll I can almost guarantee most Canadian born players would prefer not to play in Canada.

In that case, we should make sure that all the American teams stay south of the border.

well that's there excuse. I hear it all the time when sports people interview canadian players down here.

They're afraid of the pressure apparently.

Ignoring the wide paintbrush strokes, you make no sense. If no Canadian players want to play in Canada, then why should we bother having teams in Canada?

PTG, what about all the guys who want to end their careers in Toronto and Vancouver because it's their hometowns?

Don't say none of them are stars - I can give you a list.

PTG, what about all the guys who want to end their careers in Toronto and Vancouver because it's their hometowns?

Don't say none of them are stars - I can give you a list.

And what about Dumont last summer? While I wouldn't call him a star, his 66 points would have been welcomed.

Everytime I hear a canadian born hockey player talk about one of the canadian teams, he always has a 'pressure cooker' answer and that its 'hard to focus because of the stress the public puts on you'.

I swear I here this at least 3 times a year on the local radio station when they interview hockey players and bring up the homeland.

Everytime I hear a canadian born hockey player talk about one of the canadian teams, he always has a 'pressure cooker' answer and that its 'hard to focus because of the stress the public puts on you'.

I swear I here this at least 3 times a year on the local radio station when they interview hockey players and bring up the homeland.

Well what do you expect players are going to say on a radio station in St. Louis?