Line-up I'd like to see in Oct.

Higgins(1.7)-Koivu(4.75)-Smyth(5.75?)

Latendresse(850k)-Marleau(4.17)-Kovalev(4.5)

Chimera(875)-Plekanec(1.25?)-Kostitsyn(705k)

Begin(1.05)-Lapierre(563K)-Lahti(750k?)/Chipchura(850k)

Markov(5.75)/Komisarek(1.7)

Hannan(5?)/Zidlicky(3.5)

Streit(600k)/O'Byrne(650k)

Georges(800k)

Huet(2.85)-Halak(490k)

Cap hit of 46.5 Million or so.... lots left to wiggle with.

Reasoning:

Trade Ryder, Grabovski & 2nd for Marleau.

Trade 22OA for Zidlicky.

Trade Dandenault, Milroy & 5th for Chimera & 6th.

Trade Bouillon to whoever wants him.

Sign Smyth to decent 4 year contract. Plan B. Sign Zubrus to affordable and fair contract saving even more cap room.

Sign Hannan to decent 4 year contract. Plan B. Sign Danny Markov to affordable and fair contract saving EVEN more cap room.

:hlogo:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Higgins(1.7)-Koivu(4.75)-Smyth(5.75?)

Latendresse(850k)-Marleau(4.17)-Kovalev(4.5)

Chimera(875)-Plekanec(1.25?)-Kostitsyn(705k)

Begin(1.05)-Lapierre(563K)-Lahti(750k?)/Chipchura(850k)

Markov(5.75)/Komisarek(1.7)

Hannan(5?)/Zidlicky(3.5)

Streit(600k)/O'Byrne(650k)

Georges(800k)

Huet(2.85)-Halak(490k)

Cap hit of 46.5 Million or so.... lots left to wiggle with.

Reasoning:

Trade Ryder, Grabovski & 2nd for Marleau.

Trade 22OA for Zidlicky.

Trade Dandenault, Milroy & 5th for Chimera & 6th.

Trade Bouillon to whoever wants him.

Sign Smyth to decent 4 year contract. Plan B. Sign Zubrus to affordable and fair contract saving even more cap room.

Sign Hannan to decent 4 year contract. Plan B. Sign Danny Markov to affordable and fair contract saving EVEN more cap room.

:hlogo:

interesting exercise although your lines are wrong (Smyth is a LW) still after rearranging it all is this the MAX we could aspire to? thats perhaps the question... your trades are all plausible and extreme if we manage to do them all... if this is the MAX we can do would we be cup contenders or merely playoff bound?

If we want to brig in a guy like Marleau we also need an offensive LW.

Why? Because we roll 3 offensive lines now and Higgins needs to be on the third one with Plekanec and Latendresse. That leaves only Latendresse as a top 2 LW (and that's not even his natural position) which means a guy like Chimera, Lahti, Streit, Salmelainen will have to play on a to p2 line. IMO it's a bit of a waste to get Marleau if he's on a line with a guy like Salmelainen. If we're going to sign a LW like Smyth though that's another story (I'd take Shanahan over him any day though).

Why? Because we roll 3 offensive lines now and Higgins needs to be on the third one with Plekanec and Latendresse. That leaves only Latendresse as a top 2 LW (and that's not even his natural position) which means a guy like Chimera, Lahti, Streit, Salmelainen will have to play on a to p2 line. IMO it's a bit of a waste to get Marleau if he's on a line with a guy like Salmelainen. If we're going to sign a LW like Smyth though that's another story (I'd take Shanahan over him any day though).

u mean this if no current roster are involved in trade

Shany/Smyth - Koivu - Ryder

Lats - Marleau - Kovalev

Higgins -Plek - Kosty

We've needed a C like Marleau for years and will never contend without one. So I say, FIRST fill the gaping hole, and then worry about papering over the cracks.

We've needed a C like Marleau for years and will never contend without one. So I say, FIRST fill the gaping hole, and then worry about papering over the cracks.

Of course, but we're talking about the line-up we want to see in October. The line-up I want to see in October has Shanahan on Marleau's wing.

Of course, but we're talking about the line-up we want to see in October. The line-up I want to see in October has Shanahan on Marleau's wing.

And the lineup I want to see in October has Selanne on Koivu's wing. B)

And the lineup I want to see in October has Selanne on Koivu's wing. B)

Wouldn't that be something. Personally, I'd be happy with either a Drury/Marleau/Briere pickup (in that order) and solidifying the D. I think Dandy and the Cube will bounce back, but we sure need a top 4 D-man, and I doubt Souray is coming back.

PS Is that TATU, darkfaerie? I haven't seen them in years.

Wouldn't that be something. Personally, I'd be happy with either a Drury/Marleau/Briere pickup (in that order) and solidifying the D. I think Dandy and the Cube will bounce back, but we sure need a top 4 D-man, and I doubt Souray is coming back.

PS Is that TATU, darkfaerie? I haven't seen them in years.

Yeah, I don't think Souray will be a habs come September either. Picking up a top-4 guy is essential.

And yeah, that's t.A.T.u. with their "###### war" shirts.

Just a bit bored at work right now, can't really concentrate and so I'm trying to build my HABS for next season ... ^_^

Ok, first of all I'd really like to get a great center ala Marleau or maybe Briere, though I definitely would prefer Marleau because of his overall play (Ryder, Grabovski and rights to Emelin/Perezhogin for Marleau)

I'd also welcome keeping UFA Johnson at a reduced price.

Then we surely need help on D ... Hannan would be a great UFA signing.

I don't think we can retain Souray and so there is a big hole to fill on the PP ... Rafalski would be awesome but I dunno if he'll ever leave the Devils. Maybe a trade for a guy like Derek Morris could helps us there too.

Dumping Dandenault for a pick or something like that would be also a nice move.

In goal I'd go with Huet as the Nr.1 and keep Halak as the back-up till Price is ready (who should get lots of ice-time in the AHL) ... though why waste his talent in the farm when he might be ready for some starts in the NHL. If so, I'd keep the veteran Huet and trade Halak (maybe he could land us an experienced d-man or left wing).

Guys from the AHL I'd give a chance are Chipchura, O'Byrne and Price (Ferland maybe as a depth player).

So my line-up would look like this:

Latendresse - Marleau - Kovalev

Higgins - Koivu - Kostitsyn

Streit - Plekanec - Johnson

Bégin - Chipchura - Lapierre

Markov - Komisarek

Hannan - Morris

Bouillon - O'Byrne

Huet

Price

The left side surely needs an upgrade, especially on the first line as it looks a bit slow ... maybe another trade or UFA signing (though I don't know if there's a good one available)?

Yep, my roster is very similar to yours, Hannes. Main difference is that I like to keep the Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn line together.

Yep, my roster is very similar to yours, Hannes. Main difference is that I like to keep the Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn line together.

I think the lines aren't that important right now as they'll always keep changing during a season. But we can surely say that we need huge help on D (especially a mobile stay-at-home guy and in case we lose Souray, help for the PP) and 1 or 2 experienced scorers up front (a very good center and a scoring left wing).

With what we've got up front presently (which can be mixed around how u like) Lets try this

Lahti-Koivu-Kovalev

Lats-Grabo-Ryder

Higgins-Plek-Kostitsyn

Begin-Chips-Lapierre

D

Markov-Komi

Streit-(Numminen/schneider) (5 Mil max per new hopefully 4 Mil)

Bouillon-(Preissing/Hannan) ( same thing)

At most just get an oldy but goody Centreman alla Lang or Nylander (should not be more than 2 years and maxed at 4 Mil per season

that would leave us between 4 and 6 mil in cap if Ryder and the rest of the RFA don't command much Ample room for trade and taking up salary if need be when we trade for that REAL game breaker Centre!

I like the lines, Corvina. Lots of question marks though with Grabovski, Lahti and Chipchura joining the roster. Kostitsyn, Lapierre and Halak all have very little experience for the roles they'll be asked to play. I think we'd need atleast one forward body to slide guys down the depth chart and maybe Chipchura to Hamilton. Unless, of course, Lahti makes an immediate impact.

I like the lines, Corvina. Lots of question marks though with Grabovski, Lahti and Chipchura joining the roster. Kostitsyn, Lapierre and Halak all have very little experience for the roles they'll be asked to play. I think we'd need atleast one forward body to slide guys down the depth chart and maybe Chipchura to Hamilton. Unless, of course, Lahti makes an immediate impact.

hehe I know.... I'm sort of putting the "mental band aid before the wound" Come october (if Gainey doesnt get anybody interested in coming to MTL) what or better who could we try if nothing happens (which is whaty will happen if we only have Samsonov players left to pick)

hehe I know.... I'm sort of putting the "mental band aid before the wound" Come october (if Gainey doesnt get anybody interested in coming to MTL) what or better who could we try if nothing happens (which is whaty will happen if we only have Samsonov players left to pick)

I repeat it to myself "The line up" I wrote the other day..... lol

I repeat it to myself "The line up" I wrote the other day..... lol

We go with that lineup, and we're looking at the first overall draft pick in 08. :unsure:

We go with that lineup, and we're looking at the first overall draft pick in 08. :unsure:

Might not be such a bad thing with Tavares available. Be nice to have some good talent come to Montreal for a change

Just like the year Bonk was signed...We will hope for the best and perhaps see Smolinski "Slomo" like I call him centering the second line ...ok here goes another line-up if we stay pat.

Higgins-Koivu-Kovalev/Ryder

Lats-Slomo-Ryder/Kovalev

Lahti-Plek-Kostitsyn

Begin-Lapierre-Murray

If we keep the Higgins-Plek-Kosty line then Slomo has no other option but to be in the third line which would mean we have Lahti with Koivu hmmm. but if we give Slomo to kovalev (right shot centre) which makes sense...then we get this:

Lahti-Koivu-Ryder

Lats-Slomo-Kovalev

Higgins-Plek-Kosty

Begin-Lapierre-Murray

Meaning we end up with 3 two way second lines and a 4th checking line with guts and attitude... uhhhh I don't know waht to think anymore I just hope Lahti surprises us...

Edited by CoRvInA

Just like the year Bonk was signed...We will hope for the best and perhaps see Smolinski "Slomo" like I call him centering the second line ...ok here goes another line-up if we stay pat.

Lats-Slomo-Ryder/Kovalev

Lahti-Plek-Kostitsyn

Begin-Lapierre-Murray

If we keep the Higgins-Plek-Kosty line then Slomo has no other option but to be in the third line which would mean we have Lahti with Koivu hmmm. but if we give Slomo to kovalev (right shot centre) which makes sense...then we get this:

Lahti-Koivu-Ryder

Lats-Slomo-Kovalev

Higgins-Plek-Kosty

Begin-Lapierre-Murray

Meaning we end up with 3 two way second lines and a 4th checking line with guts and attitude... uhhhh I don't know waht to think anymore I just hope Lahti surprises us...

what about your second option, but with a minor change which I think makes a lot of sense: Switching Lahti and Lats:

Lats-Koivu-Ryder

Lahti-Slomo-Kovalev

Higgins-Plek-Kosty

Begin-Lapierre-Murray

Not sure aobut the fourth and Murray being the last player there. Why not brign up Milroy? what position does he play? Murray's pretty much plateaued for potential...

Lats-Slomo-Ryder/Kovalev

Lahti-Plek-Kostitsyn

Begin-Lapierre-Murray

Lahti-Koivu-Ryder

Lats-Slomo-Kovalev

Higgins-Plek-Kosty

Begin-Lapierre-Murray

I like the forward lines there... Lahti will be solid if nothing else, but I expect good things from him, he just needs some time to adjust.

I'm not sold on Murray at all and think we should move him somewhere for a young guy to come in. I'd lose Begin as well

I like the forward lines there... Lahti will be solid if nothing else, but I expect good things from him, he just needs some time to adjust.

I'm not sold on Murray at all and think we should move him somewhere for a young guy to come in. I'd lose Begin as well

I don't know how many will pick up Begin for his 1M price tag, and I don't know if we lose him without having an upgrade. The problem with just losing him is that we need a gritty player to take his place, and other than Lappy, our other up and comers need space on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd linr, not 4th. You don't want to bring up Grabovski or Kosty and play them on the 4th... Maybe Chipper?

uuu

if we lose Begin right now, we'd get a riot in MTL lol No joking tho

oh yeah Murray "Like we've posted million times needs to make the team he might as well be training and fight for his spot.