Option A or Option B ?

bigbird19

What a week-end ! Signing Komi and Higgins to VERY reasonable contracts, then dumping Samsonov's.

Not to mention inking the " General " to a solid deal.

Which would you prefer.....

A We use up the cap space now ? I.E. Sign Briere or whoever ?

B Stock the team with decent talent to start October, and leave plenty of cap space at the March trade deadline ?

What a week-end ! Signing Komi and Higgins to VERY reasonable contracts, then dumping Samsonov's.

B Stock the team with decent talent to start October, and leave plenty of cap space at the March trade deadline ?

B

bring some kids up and let them grow together with all the growing pains that come with. maybe miss the playoffs next year and position ourself for a good pick.

trade huet at the deadline and get solid return.

Edited by marky_and_komi

I'd say option C - try to sign TWO mid-range UFAs along the lines of Scott Hannan and Scott Hartnell. Even if it ended up costing more, that would add WAAY more value than Briere (who I like, but not in our mix).

This assumes no heavy-duty trade for a #1 C, which I still think is an equally pressing priority as signing UFAs.

Grossy off topic, but nice av! Maynard, yeah!

NO free agents from this years crop, will give us the missing piece that is keeping us from being a real contender. OPTION B is what I'd pick; but with a twist. If I can pull the trigger on a trade anytime between now and October to bring home a player that we need; I will do it!

GO HABS GO!

As usual for me its never A or B its a mix of both

the cons of A is if the UFA or whatever signings before the start of the season ties us up and limits us to fewer moves of getting rid of a player (like what happened to Sammy last year NObody wanted him not even for free).

the problem with B is that trade deadlines means getting ONE or 2 MAx players to complement a team, NOT to fix a void or a problem which is what we have now... so the right answer is both A & B. Pput the kids in see what they can do this season and determine if they can fulfill our needs and during the season send them back down if need be and make a trade or two and then one more if needed at the deadline... YET before the Season starts we need to seek the UFA to resolve our D situation (which seems to be the less difficult of the two to fix) and have the D and Goalie situation (knock on wood) resolved and we can focus on one front the forward lines

so by game one of the season we have between 4 and 6 mill in cap room

Option B can't even be an option for us. If we fill out our roster with average guys in addition to those already under contract, we're not even as good as last year's team that missed the playoffs. If they go with plan B, they're not even going to be in playoff contention come the trade deadline. This team needs to sign a couple impact players who can make a difference on this team, in addition to the developing youth.

Grossy off topic, but nice av! Maynard, yeah!

Yeah, F-YOU !

Next time I'll not show you my face.

I'll turn my back for the whole show. B)

But to see beer-ious......

I say Ryan White is a 50/50 chance to make the team this year.

Edited by bigbird19

Option B can't even be an option for us. If we fill out our roster with average guys in addition to those already under contract, we're not even as good as last year's team that missed the playoffs. If they go with plan B, they're not even going to be in playoff contention come the trade deadline. This team needs to sign a couple impact players who can make a difference on this team, in addition to the developing youth.

Huh? Are you saying all the players on the Dogs suck? Have you even watched any of them play....

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

It would be Option A if there were an elite free agent out there who fits our needs - but there isn't.

What? ... No.

I don't think "missing the playoffs" is in the cards. Gainey promised Koivu a shot at the cup, and he will deliver.

The Canadiens aren't a "rebuild" team.

2007 was ONLY the 2nd time that Gainey as an exec or a coach, missed the playoffs. He's pissed and Carbo DOESN'T like to lose.

I'd say option C - try to sign TWO mid-range UFAs along the lines of Scott Hannan and Scott Hartnell. Even if it ended up costing more, that would add WAAY more value than Briere (who I like, but not in our mix).

This assumes no heavy-duty trade for a #1 C, which I still think is an equally pressing priority as signing UFAs.

Hannan is not a mid range UFA

Yeah, F-YOU !

Next time I'll not show you my face.

I'll turn my back for the whole show. B)

But to see beer-ious......

I say Ryan White is a 50/50 chance to make the team this year.

I think Maxwell would have a better shot and I would give him about 20 to 1 chance.

Hannan is not a mid range UFA

I think Maxwell would have a better shot and I would give him about 20 to 1 chance.

Betcha 20 cyberbucks White gets in the line-up before Maxwell. Maybe 2 years down the road.

My brother Duane has season tickets for Hitmen's games. He hates the Habs, loves the Flames.

He drools over RW.

Hope we're both right and we see at least one of them soon. ;)

2007 was ONLY the 2nd time that Gainey as an exec or a coach, missed the playoffs. He's pissed and Carbo DOESN'T like to lose.

YOU SIR ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! :hlogo:

I'll take option R.... as in RFA.

There are going to be at least 3-5 teams close to cap issues by Oct, so why not snipe a young and proven talent and put someone in a bad spot.

it could pay off huge.

Some that could be offered a contract include ( for example)

Steven Weiss

Nathan Horton

Tomas Vanek

Zach Parise

Ryan Whitney

Joni Pitkanen

Add these guys to the UFA's for this summer and it looks like a better list.

There are going to be at least 3-5 teams close to cap issues by Oct, so why not snipe a young and proven talent and put someone in a bad spot.

it could pay off huge.

Steven Weiss

Nathan Horton

Tomas Vanek

Zach Parise

Ryan Whitney

Joni Pitkanen

that is a great idea use the cba!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

it could pay off huge.

Steven Weiss

Nathan Horton

Tomas Vanek

Zach Parise

Ryan Whitney

Joni Pitkanen

Only problem is if you want that you have the wrong Bob. Gainey will not make that move.

The correct bob for that move would be Clarke.

Only problem is if you want that you have the wrong Bob. Gainey will not make that move.

The correct bob for that move would be Clarke.

I think this season a few GM's willtry it on for size and since Gainey is embarassed by the teams perfomance last season he might very well be mad enough to get who he wants by any method he can.

It will get even more common after this season.

I don't see BG snatching RFAs. I feel like part of the reason Clarke had to resign last season was that when he needed to trade the Flyers out of a tailspin, nobody in the league wanted to so much as return his calls after he pulled that nonsense with Kesler. BG works on respect, not reckless cowboyism, and his reputation - one of his finest assets - would be instantly shot with that kind of move.

I'd say no UFAs for the same reason others have said - there's no one who could really give the Canadiens what they need on the market this summer (including Briere and Drury). Instead, Gainey should trade to fill the holes (i.e. a #1 C and #3-4 Ds). That's why I like the Bergeron rumours out of Boston. Gainey does have some serious trade bait this summer:

Michael Ryder - 3 seasons of 25+ goals, back to back 30-goal seasons, etc make him a saleable asset at peak value, but Gainey knows his limitations and is tired of the unpleasant negotiations that always seem to arise with his agent.

Cristobal Huet and/or Yann Danis - again, Cristo is arguably at peak value and plays better than he costs. He'd be a great goalie to hang on to if there weren't so much talent up the pipe in Halak and Price, so he's of higher value as a quality element in a trade. It's risky trading away the one veteran goalie, but what are the odds of both Halak and Price tanking in the same season? As for Danis, he's not at peak trading value but maybe somebody has scouted him well enough to know he's a solid backup or better.

Add to these two some pies-in-the-sky that some odd GM might be into - Dandenault, Bouillon, my man Kovalev and our Ogie Garth Murray - as well as some borderliners who won't crack the lineup and who might tip the scales as throw-ins - Salmelainen, Locke, Russell - and Gainey has some ingredients to cook with. Who knows who he might pull over in a trade?

As for the trade deadline - look at all the chumps who were active at the deadline this year, and decide how many of them won on their deals. NYI? It probably got them that playoff spot over the Leafs, but one playoff win and two home dates for what - 3 first rounders? Edmonton also didn't necessarily win in that deal, as their tailspin was flat-out depressing, and obliterated any long-term momentum and franchise gut from their Cup final appearance in 06. Did San Jose get any further with Craig Rivet and Bill Guerin than they would have otherwise? Detroit with Bertuzzi? Buffalo with Zubrus? Nashville with Forsberg? Toronto with Perreault? Pittsburgh with Roberts and Laraque? I'd say the true basement-dwellers benefited - St. Louis, Phoenix - and the Avery trade was a surprising coup for NYR - and I liked the Rivet trade for Montreal - but otherwise the trade deadline shouldn't hold stature as any kind of relevant time to make a move for building a team or a contender, and no smart GM should plan on it. From what I remember, Anaheim and Ottawa were darned quiet around then...

Option B.

No Briere. There are enough decent players out there that will come cheaper, and if Gainey decides to not go heavaly into free agents, we could always give guys like Chipcura a spot and see how he does. I don't really want to be part of these big bidding wars, which is what will come with Briere. Just because he's a French Canadian doesn't mean he automatically wants to come here anyways: Chances are, he'll go to whoever has the highest numbers in their cheque books.

There are some good options to consider in free agency. I like Dainius Zubrus myself, as he is a good checker, and can put up decent numbers. He might command quite a bit, but I think he's worth it. Another name is Aaron Asham. He can be brought back affordably too, and as a fourth line grinder, he can still put up 10-15 goals a season. There are some good options out there. I'll take a look at the list later.