Who will Gainey call first?

Psycing

What made a difference for Briere is his chances to win. They were better in Philly than in Montreal because Holmgren pulled some big deals lately.

Still haven't seen Gainey swing a real big blockbuster trade ever since he's the Habs GM. Not necessary a bad thing, but it's nothing to entice UFAs neither.

Since Bob can't get big names through free agency, he's gonna have to pull the trigger on a trade sooner or later. Neither Koivu nor Kovalev can carry the offense; and most of the high-end offensive talents the Habs have only have 1-2 years in the NHL.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just waiting for the stupid media trashing on BOb. Yeah, let's blame him. We must write about something since we have this lack of signing bellyache. Yeah, let's blame Gainey. The media must save itself. It serves only itself. Anything other than admit that maybe the media has some responsibility in this is not an option for them.

I blame mostly the media. The taxes are also an issue.

Pressure + Taxes = No UFA.

Less pressure + Taxes = Much better chance.

Pressure + Less taxes = Much better chance.

Can we prevent the taxes? Yeah right. Can the media change? Can we reduce the pressure? YES, that is possible. Is it going to happen? Nope. :( Too bad the only true way to help which can be achieved will not even be attempted. There's too much media money to be made when one of our players forgets to shave or something stupid.

To suggest that the reason a UFA did not sign here is Gainey's fault and to put it all on him is ludicrous. That is implying there is a lack of experience. Between him and Gauthier they have 19 years of management experience. Gauthier was also a scout for the Nords for 12 seasons. Lack of experience? :blink:

IF ANYTHING, Gainey ought to help soften the blow. Many players will want to come to Montreal due to Gainey. If Gainey was not there those same players probably wouldn't want to.

But, fire up the press. Let's roast and Blame Gainey. Maybe we can blame the rain on him too.

I'm just waiting for the stupid media trashing on BOb. Yeah, let's blame him. We must write about something since we have this lack of signing bellyache. Yeah, let's blame Gainey. The media must save itself. It serves only itself. Anything other than admit that maybe the media has some responsibility in this is not an option for them.

I blame mostly the media. The taxes are also an issue.

Pressure + Taxes = No UFA.

Less pressure + Taxes = Much better chance.

Pressure + Less taxes = Much better chance.

Can we prevent the taxes? Yeah right. Can the media change? Can we reduce the pressure? YES, that is possible. Is it going to happen? Nope. :( Too bad the only true way to help which can be achieved will not even be attempted. There's too much media money to be made when one of our players forgets to shave or something stupid.

To suggest that the reason a UFA did not sign here is Gainey's fault and to put it all on him is ludicrous. That is implying there is a lack of experience. Between him and Gauthier they have 19 years of management experience. Gauthier was also a scout for the Nords for 12 seasons. Lack of experience? :blink:

IF ANYTHING, Gainey ought to help soften the blow. Many players will want to come to Montreal due to Gainey. If Gainey was not there those same players probably wouldn't want to.

But, fire up the press. Let's roast and Blame Gainey. Maybe we can blame the rain on him too.

But it's all bunk. Players who actually play here tend to be happy to sign here and stay here. So I frankly don't buy ANY of this 'Montreal is so awful due to [taxes, or media, or whatever]' stuff. Montreal has a bad image, that's all, perhaps due to those factors, and also due to a reputation for on-ice mediocrity. But it's all a myth. (Even taxes are set to drop in Quebec). The problem lies in correcting that myth for players who are too ignorant to know better, who seem to constitute a majority of NHLers.

Meanwhile, Bob needs to forget about UFAs and build from within and trades. 'Those who play here, stay here' should become our new motto.

Montreal doesnt look competitive when you look at their line up and dont know about them much...

No high point scorers....I mean if i went and picking a team out i would definitely check who were my potential linemates....

as we speak we cant use that card to attract big names...

That sounds like a scary motto :P

Nonetheless though, it's a valid point. The Habs had more momentum going into the UFA last season based on having a playoff appearance.

Taxes can't always be the whole part of the problem in not attracting UFAs. The loss of Souray definitely didn't help out the cause to lure in some key guys.

That sounds like a scary motto :P

Nonetheless though, it's a valid point. The Habs had more momentum going into the UFA last season based on having a playoff appearance.

Taxes can't always be the whole part of the problem in not attracting UFAs. The loss of Souray definitely didn't help out the cause to lure in some key guys.

The los of Souray at this point Bob will have more then enough to resign Souray to the contract he want, i just say he gives him a contract so we dont have a big hole to fill after.

But it's all bunk. Players who actually play here tend to be happy to sign here and stay here. So I frankly don't buy ANY of this 'Montreal is so awful due to [taxes, or media, or whatever]' stuff. Montreal has a bad image, that's all, perhaps due to those factors, and also due to a reputation for on-ice mediocrity. But it's all a myth. (Even taxes are set to drop in Quebec). The problem lies in correcting that myth for players who are too ignorant to know better, who seem to constitute a majority of NHLers.

Meanwhile, Bob needs to forget about UFAs and build from within and trades. 'Those who play here, stay here' should become our new motto.

Then why did he wait until the end of the season to offer Souray 4.5M a season? He's bound to get more on the open market. Regardless of whether he was signed on day 1 or not, he'll end somewhere in the neighbourhood of 5-6M. If you look at Andrei Markov, who recieved 5.75M (and couldn't possibly have gotten more than Rafalski's 6M), he got market value, so is it a crime for Souray to expect market value from the team?

Then why did he wait until the end of the season to offer Souray 4.5M a season? He's bound to get more on the open market. Regardless of whether he was signed on day 1 or not, he'll end somewhere in the neighbourhood of 5-6M. If you look at Andrei Markov, who recieved 5.75M (and couldn't possibly have gotten more than Rafalski's 6M), he got market value, so is it a crime for Souray to expect market value from the team?

Yeah, well, I'm not saying that Bob REALIZED the gravity of the situation. Neither did many of us, if you'll recall the optimism around here about signing this or that player and all the debate about who we should sign (which assumed we'd be able to sign ANYONE). Remember, he successfully lured Kovalev in his first season and probably did not regard last summer as final proof that Montreal has a deeply serious problem.

If he's come to the same conclusion as me, he will sign Souray to a 3-4 year deal for around $5-5.5 mil, frontloaded so we can buy him out relatively inexpensively later on if we must; he will then sign whatever additional quality D he can; and then he will abandon his policy of not negotiating contracts during the season. It is absolutely imperative that Montreal keep the good players we have, because we're not gonna be able to replace them via free agency. Bob must adapt.

Rafalski took a home town deal to play with the wings.