Who will Gainey call first?

Psycing

SO DRURY and Souray? No news?

I realize all the Amens for the Briere deal, but where does no movement leave the habs?

If we lose Souray and we don't add anything it will be a long long long year as the rangers and flyers work us over all year long.

I absolutely agree and I'm more than a little nervous about it.

If we don't make some additions to our roster we will be much worse than last year. :puke:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great, all I see is a Kariya to Montreal rumour. I smell a Samsanov season all over again. That is one guy I don't want!!!!

Karyia will not sign in Montreal he hates the pressure he will play for a southern US team.

Rafalski was signed for a fairly reasonable price, 5 yrs @ 6M.

I agree thats reasonable for what he brings, he is good at both ends of the ice (much better offensivley then defensivley but he is a #1 defenseman).

Sorry guys, Bob didn't call Briere first, he showed up at his agent's place instead.

Selon ce que RDS a également appris, l’adjoint au directeur général du Canadien Bob Gainey, Julien Brisebois, s’est rendu à Los Angeles pour faire une offre au clan Brière.

Edit: Ops, Bob wasn't there, only BriseBois.

Ok fellow Quebecois... if offering 8 million holds true... then the Media better not say BG didnt try it all!.... Still if Briere doesnt accept, I hope they dont turn things around by saying maybe Esposito might have been a cheaper and fruitfull option

I always liked that assesment. how the hell do they know that gainey didn't try ??

I'd rather his non action than stupid signings like we're seeing today.

Gainey reportedly offered 6yrs, 42M; that is actually a higher cap hit than what the Flyers signed Briere for. Of course the Flyers gave him two extra years and a NTC.

It is not only a NTC it is a NMC.

There's a contract clause that stipulates you can't be traded to some teams or can be traded to only to certain teams.

Then there's no-trade clauses (not explanations needed there)

And then, there's no-movement clauses.

That means, can't be traded, can't be waived, can't be demoted, can't be bought out. Basically means, you're untouchable. That's some serious shit right there. McCabe has one of those in Toronto if anyone was curious of other players with a NMC.

:P

Go(@!&^%*@ Im officialy 39 minutes late for work now.... and counting! I don't know how much more I can wait I wanna hear some news from MTL!!! even if it means the Janitors are getting new toilet brushes and plungers!!!

I guess that absolutely INSANE nmc was the deal-breaker. Eight years I can handle, for a quality player, but a deal that puts your entire organization in handcuffs for a decade??? Non merci!

As for those who are getting worried because it looks like we'll go into next season minus Souray with no major additions - whoa, let's take a pill, folks! There are THREE MONTHS between now and the start of next season. Plenty of time for Bob to make a major move. Not everything happens on July 1.

Hell, if San Jose signs Drury and we trade for Marleau, we'll all be ecstatic the Briere thing fell through.

I don't understand why everyone is all excited regarding a possible Drury signing and a possible Marleau trade.

They're just so hypothetical that it is not worth getting your hopes up for. First, Drury has to sign with San Jose...then San Jose and Montreal have to somehow work out an acceptable trade.

I don't understand why everyone is all excited regarding a possible Drury signing and a possible Marleau trade.

They're just so hypothetical that it is not worth getting your hopes up for. First, Drury has to sign with San Jose...then San Jose and Montreal have to somehow work out an acceptable trade.

Well, a fair point. But there have been heavy rumours about Marleau for some time. There's reason to think that the two teams are waiting to see how the dust settles from this UFA madness...and then we might, perhaps, see some movement.

But you're right, only a loon would be getting all excited about this hypothetical.

I don't think Marleau is going to be dealt until the mid-season. Even with reports that Marleau and Wilson aren't getting along, Doug isn't going to deal a guy of Marleau's abilities during the off-season, when he could probably get a lot better return from a team that either struggles out of the gate or gets into injury troubles in November or December.

I'm hoping that BG didn't offer Briere $42 over 6. I can't see the Montreal organization inking anyone to a deal that long.

Recent 4 year disappointments like Theodore and Kovalev come to mind.

Ryan Smyth, Scott Gomez, 6-7 million ? Goodbye.0

It would be nice to have " Big names ", but I'd rather we shore up the depth of the team with reasonably priced talent.

Vladislav Nagy ( LW. Dallas. 28 yrs. old. Offer 2.5-2.75 million. 0.87 PPG over last 3 seasons. )

Chris Simon ( LW. Islanders. 35 yrs. old. Offer 1.5 - 1.75 million. Plus 17 with the Islanders. Beats anyone on the Habs last year ).

Richie Regehr ( Defense. Calgary. 24 yrs. old. Won't cost anymore than 1,000,000 if he's lucky. Might prove himself if he's playing out of his brother's shadow ).

I'm not surprized Tampa signed Michel Ouelett today. He may have been a nice fit.

Well Drury signing with NY should kill those Marleau to Montreal rumours.

Gonna have to find that centre somewhere else. Michael Nylander might be a nicer, cheaper option.

I'd say Gainey should shoot for him and Tom Preissing. Maybe an outside shot at Hannan to replace the toughness lost in Souray and Rivet

Well Drury signing with NY should kill those Marleau to Montreal rumours.

Gonna have to find that centre somewhere else. Michael Nylander might be a nicer, cheaper option.

I'd say Gainey should shoot for him and Tom Preissing. Maybe an outside shot at Hannan to replace the toughness lost in Souray and Rivet

Hannan already signed in Colarado.

Well, hate to say it, but I think my point regarding getting hopes up for Drury signing/Marleau traded here was unfortunately proven..

Gainey's left on the sidelines again, I just hope he now doesn't fork over 5M to Robert Lang or Patrice Brisebois or something.