Bonk to Nashville

yorickbrown

Good for him.. means he wont be coming back to us for 2+

TSN.ca says DeVries went to Nashville for 2 years as well.

:hlogo:

Bonk got $1.35 M for 07/08, $1.6 for 08/09, so a $1.475 M cap hit over the 2 years. That's a good deal for a team looking to fill some lower lines with cheap depth. I thought he'd have gotten closer to what Smolinski got.

Downgrade. Bonk understood his role well, and we rarely got beat by star players. He was part of that, whether anyone likes to admit it or not.

$2m for Smoke, who always gets traded for reason (notice all those teams he gets traded to on deadline day don't do anything either) and $1.4m for Bonk? Bad trade off.

If we were going to keep a matchup line, we might as well had kept Bonk for that role. He did well in it. I thought we were going to try and get a more offensive minded 3rd line. But apparently not. And we didn't get more physical, either, BTW. Smoke doesn't hit much at all.

I agree with what you are saying. I agree Bonk is better, especially with his role with the Habs, and at the ridiculous low price he signed for, Bob probably should have kept him.

However, I have to disagree with this:

$2m for Smoke, who always gets traded for reason (notice all those teams he gets traded to on deadline day don't do anything either)

Are you suggesting at the trade deadline teams pick up shitty players to make a push for the golf course?

If we were going to keep a matchup line, we might as well had kept Bonk for that role. He did well in it. I thought we were going to try and get a more offensive minded 3rd line. But apparently not. And we didn't get more physical, either, BTW. Smoke doesn't hit much at all.

Disagree by numbers alone Smolo although not my favorite is more offensive than Bonk... and your example of smolo being traded often proves he does have a flip side for teams that believe he coudl contribute on the deadline No one asked for Bonk at the deadline last year

Bonk was once of our most consistent, more reliable players the past season. Good luck, Bonkers!

Phoneix gets Bonk for $1.45 Million average

Montreal gets Smolinski for $2 Million.

Sounds like Montreal got ######ed

as others have mentioned in the signing thread: the taxes! If bonk had stayed, he probably would have wanted the 2M.

Disagree by numbers alone Smolo although not my favorite is more offensive than Bonk... and your example of smolo being traded often proves he does have a flip side for teams that believe he coudl contribute on the deadline No one asked for Bonk at the deadline last year

Smoke has recently been put in more offensive roles than Bonk. In Chicago, he got PP time. In Ottawa, he played for Ottawa.

In Montreal, Smoke won't do any better than Bonk did for us. It's just how we play.

Smoke gets dealt at the trade deadline consistently for "veteran presence" and "depth". Nothing else. He never makes an impact with that team. Only in Ottawa was he re-signed, but that's because they were stupid enough to trade Tim Gleason for him.

Im sort of gonna recycle this thread:

Who is going to replace Mr. Bonkers thread.

1. PLek
  2. Slomo
  3. Lapierre
  4. Chips

if its Smolinsky than no way should Koivu not be paired with Kovalev which could guarantee the Higgins-plek-Kosty line Second line duty

Im sort of gonna recycle this thread:

Who is going to replace Mr. Bonkers thread.

1. PLek
  2. Slomo
  3. Lapierre
  4. Chips
if its Smolinsky than no way should Koivu not be paired with Kovalev which could guarantee the Higgins-plek-Kosty line Second line duty

Smoke isn't a real offensive C, so I don't see him playing with offensive wingers in our system. He's the stereotypical defensively responsible guy who will draw the top line assignments.

Plex is our #2 centre, with Higgins and Kosts likely to start with.

I don't see us creating a combination that will see Kovalev play the way we all want him to. My best bet would be on the 4th with a young guy like Grabovski, or the Lapierre/Latendresse combination which showed some promise. Who knows, though... our lines are such a mess and we don't know if Ryder will be back now that he's going to arbitration. Although he likely will be with another 1 year deal and then walk as a UFA knowing how we do business.