Thank you Shelly Thread

Nilan

I like to thank Sheldon for the lies he told all season long....you know the ones I'm talking about "I love playing in Montreal" " I want to retire a Montreal Canadien" "I want to resign with the Canadiens" etc, etc......thanks for getting my hopes up Sheldon...you sure are a piece of work.

I couldn't agree more. If he wanted to leave fine, but then don't feed all that crap.

Class A Asshole

what did you want him to say, "I hate it here and want to leave"?. he's more than half a country closer to his daughter, bringing home way more money on a post tax basis, got an extra year, AND IS MOVING HOME. saying he wants to stay does not mean he had to take a crappier deal to stay.

you guys have absolutely no clue what happened in negotiations (think maybe, just maybe, Bob was an a**hole?). in any event, he played and acted like a man.

Souray is the one who went over the top with comments about his desire to be here. He did not simply say he liked playing here etc...He said things that were way more than that. I don't blame him for moving on, that is his choice but don't tell me you love me just so you can have sex with me then move on!

Easy Tiger.

Edited by SAKS-AVENUE

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to thank Sheldon for the lies he told all season long....you know the ones I'm talking about "I love playing in Montreal" " I want to retire a Montreal Canadien" "I want to resign with the Canadiens" etc, etc......thanks for getting my hopes up Sheldon...you sure are a piece of work.

I couldn't agree more. If he wanted to leave fine, but then don't feed all that crap.

Class A Asshole

what did you want him to say, "I hate it here and want to leave"?. he's more than half a country closer to his daughter, bringing home way more money on a post tax basis, got an extra year, AND IS MOVING HOME. saying he wants to stay does not mean he had to take a crappier deal to stay.

you guys have absolutely no clue what happened in negotiations (think maybe, just maybe, Bob was an a**hole?). in any event, he played and acted like a man.

the truth would have been nice.....he could have said "thanks for standing by me for the past 7 years but I think its time to move on." I would of at least respected that.

He took a $100K paycut from our offer??

What a knob! :lol:

Duhhhh

ALBERTA PEOPLE that place has no TAXES!!! plus NTC for 3 years and 5 YEARS!!!

Enough of the tax bull s$%^ already!!!

You think money means jack to Souray?

His wife makes more then he does even with his raise, so all that BS about taxes taking his money is an easy copout and I'm sick to death of it.

Stop defending people you don't even know.

Class A Asshole

I have a clue to the negotiations and it boils down to Shelly thinking he was worth $6M or more after the first few days, so later he turns down Gainey's $22M offer. Then all of a sudden he is down to 3 teams and none offering as much as the habs. Can he suck it up and admit he made a bad gamble and call Gainey asking for the same offer back? Nope, he takes the first offer over 4 years and makes it look like it was his plan all along.

Classless and gutless. You deserve going to a fading light like the Oilers. At least we will not have to watch you raise the Stanley Cup in the next five years.

I have to admit, I don't follow the oilers that much but they are not looking very good are they? What the F*&CK Sheldon? Say hello to Garon for us will you?

I loved Sheldon's game (for me, he was never *as bad* defensively as he was made out to be, and his howitzer made him easily the most exciting habs in years). I also loved the swagger and leadership he projected, at least to the media. But add my voice to the list of people disgusted at the way he played the city - and much worse, Bob Gainey - for saps. If he had been serious about wanting to stay here, he would have signed for the Habs' very fair offer. Since he WASN'T serious, he should have done the honourable thing and quietly indicated that to management. Honestly believing that Souray could be resigned at a fair rate, the Habs decided not to trade a major asset at the deadline and lost the opportunity to get what might well have been a really good young player back. So, thanks Sheldon - but f**k you.

and btw, When Souray returns to Montreal as an Oiler...I hope he gets the same treatment Theodore got when he came back to the Bell Centre as an Ave.

I hope you're not woundering why UFAs don't want to sign in Montréal ??? :puke:

Frankly I view this whole leaving/not leaving situation as one that could have been easily averted if Gainey actually bothered to discuss contracts in the regular season - he would have quickly discovered that either Souray was not interested in coming back, or that his demands were extravagant and he wanted to test the market, or a combination of all factors and could then have traded him...or at least have had more time to find a credible upgrade.

Just to throw the math out there:

22 million taxed at 48% = $ 11 440 000 plus whatever one year contract Sheldon could have signed in 4 years, i.e. 800K net, for a total of $12.2 million in the next five years if he stayed in Mtl.

27 million taxed at 35% = $17.5 million in the next five years for going to Edmonton.

So by signing this deal, Sheldon got a 43% raise vs. the Gainey offer. That is HUGE. HUGE. It would be easier for a lot of us to understand if instead of 5.5 for four years from Bob, he was getting 7.5 million for four years from some other team. Well folks, that's pretty much what he got.

-----

Now, as for the venom over his comments during the season vs. his decision to sign, please remember that the comments were his, while the decision over accepting/rejecting contracts was largely steered by his agent. Late in the season - possibly after elimination, I don't recall exactly - the press had him alone in the locker room and asked him what it would take to sign him. He gave the right answer, as any competent agent would instruct him: "We'll see what the Canadiens offer and see if we can't work something out." But some wise reporter pressed him and said, "Will it take 6 million?" Souray's answer, to his agent's certain agony: "6 million? No, no, that would be too much."

I truly believe Souray was ready and would have been happy to sign with Montreal for 5.5. But his agent wasn't. His agent - who is paid by a percentage of his salary, and is therefore as interested in the amount as Souray is, if not more so - gambled that Souray could get a heck of a lot more than the Habs' offer, and lost. That is why Souray is not here, not because he is some kind of scum.

I think the Habs' situation is better with Hamrlik than Souray - his wrist will snap in two halfway through next season, and even if it doesn't, he won't score more than 15 goals. I think Gainey comes out of this looking pretty blameless. I think Souray will be better off in Edmonton than Montreal. In short, I think this is a happy ending for everyone. So why the need to break out the tar and feathers?

P.S. Thanks Sheldon...

Edited by Oleg Petrov

and btw, When Souray returns to Montreal as an Oiler...I hope he gets the same treatment Theodore got when he came back to the Bell Centre as an Ave.

I hope you're not woundering why UFAs don't want to sign in Montréal ??? :puke:

He's a bummed out fan . BIG DEAL. When you choose to be a professional athlete you should be prepared to deal with fans like Spidey .....it's a part of the package. Fans in NY, Philli, are just as hard core......... that didn't stop their UFA signings.

Frankly I view this whole leaving/not leaving situation as one that could have been easily averted if Gainey actually bothered to discuss contracts in the regular season - he would have quickly discovered that either Souray was not interested in coming back, or that his demands were extravagant and he wanted to test the market, or a combination of all factors and could then have traded him...or at least have had more time to find a credible upgrade.

During the season concentration should be on the game that day. Gainey can't afford to have contract negotiations messing with a players head during the season. He needs the players full attention on the puck. Don't you understand the philosophy behind that. If your player is going to be 100% why would you take his head away from the game. Think about it.

so we're gonna score 8 goals on him?! :D

Thank you Sheldon.. you were my favourite habs and now you're my favourite Oiler. Good Luck there.

:hlogo: :clap:

I can certainly see both sides of the argument, but this is a "Thank you Shelly" thread so c'mon, what's done is done let's show some class, say thanks for the memories and wish Sheldon luck. :hlogo:

(or else,,,,,,,,maybe start a parallel "Screw you Shelly" thread?? ^_^ )

I'll miss Souray, but I think it just wasn't meant to be. I hope he enjoys Edmonton and beign close to his hometown and I'm glad we don't play him too often. I also think we're a better team without him, but I do appreciate how hard he played for us.

Side note: I'm trying to update my profile to remove Souray from my Fav Habs, but when I try to make a change, it tells me my "Birthday" value is invalid and I'm just leaving it blank... What to do? Mods?

Thanks Souray.

Warning, negativity up ahead:

"An easy decision to make", huh? That means you never really considered Montreal, did you. If you had, it wouldn't have been such an "easy decision" to make.

Either Sheldon is lying and saying it was an easy decision to cater to the Edmonton media who are happy to see him, or he honestly felt it was an easy decision, in which case he's lying to Montreal and their fans for having claimed repeatedly he wants to stay and would try to find a way to stay. Liar either way.

Not trying to spoil this thread with negativity, don't get me wrong, thanks for the many years of play, but this "going away" present to Habs fan in the way of your attitude translates into little more than a casual "thanks." on my part.

Edited by Cataclaw

Thanks Souray.

Warning, negativity up ahead:

"An easy decision to make", huh? That means you never really considered Montreal, did you. If you had, it wouldn't have been such an "easy decision" to make.

Either Sheldon is lying and saying it was an easy decision to cater to the Edmonton media who are happy to see him, or he honestly felt it was an easy decision, in which case he's lying to Montreal and their fans for having claimed repeatedly he wants to stay and would try to find a way to stay. Liar either way.

Not trying to spoil this thread with negativity, don't get me wrong, thanks for the many years of play, but this "going away" present to Habs fan in the way of your attitude translates into little more than a casual "thanks." on my part.

my guess is when he turned down the Habs contract, it was because he thought he'd get a lot more elsewhere. When BG took the money and signed Hamr, Souray still thought, okay, I'll get more elsewhere, and then as the market dried up and he realized that was the best offer he was going to get, well, even if he allowed himself to regret it, he couldn't come back to Montreal for 3M a year or whatever, because that's a hard pill to swallow, and "his" money has now been committed to Hamr, so he kept holding out, hoping someone else was gonna offer him something between what Gainey had offered him first, and what Gainey could possibly give him now. Then Edmonton gives him this offer and it's the best he can hope for at this point in the UFA period (I"m actually surprised they couldn't get him lower, considering how late in the UFA game it is) and it's an "easy decision" at this point because he knows no one can give him more than that NOW.

Basically, in my opinion, it was about the money with Souray. He wasn't officially trying to mess us over or lie to the fans, but he wanted it to go like this: he wanted to see the market, and he wanted it to be so ridiculous that Bob would HAVE to offer him 6M+ just to keep him, and he'd sign for that... When BG offers him that salary (5.5 M), so early into Day 1, he figures he can definitely get more and turns it down. By the time he realizes he CAN'T get more, BG's offer is not on the table, so he holds out for the next largest contract he can find. He played the game and sort of got burned, but in the end he lucked out because he gets a long term, high paying contract for what I consider over his market value, and gets to play close to home.

Personally, I think Edmonton will likely regret locking up so much money in him considering his D, but he'll do a lot for their PP.

Thanks for all the memories Shelly; your leadership on the ice and your willingness to stand up to anyone who dare try to pick on any of your team mates will not be forgotten. Wish you all the best and hope you continue to use your powerful shot! Cheers and heres hoping that you do improve your all round game.

Farewell!

Edited by Chips

Souray is the one who went over the top with comments about his desire to be here. He did not simply say he liked playing here etc...He said things that were way more than that. I don't blame him for moving on, that is his choice but don't tell me you love me just so you can have sex with me then move on!

But... I... wasn't gonna... :unsure:

Good for Sheldon. Good market $$$$$.

We had to focus more on playing defensively, and unfortunately, he wasn't in the plan.

Good for Edmonton. They needed a bruiser like him, and I hope he has a major impact for them. Another Canadian team just got better.

I think its sad that there are so many anti-Sourites out there. A lot of the Habs fans are almost becoming worse than Leaf fans. It's despicable.

Oiler fans dont think Smyth is an a-hole for leaving Edm over a measly $100K. It was similar with Smyth in Edm, he didnt want to leave, but Edm traded him in order not to loose him for nothing because they werent willing to pay him that little bit more. Souray didnt choose to leave, he just wanted a bit more money, but Bob wasnt willing to spend more on 1 guy and signed another D to replace Souray. If we'd have got to see Souray crying like lil girl on TV after Bob signed Hamrlik some of you might have a higher opinion of him. :lol:

Thx Sheldon for all your years in the CH!! Your contributions will be missed :hockey:

If Souray wanted gratitude from the fans, he should have stayed and take the offer that was given to him.

He didnt.

So no gratitude.

Screw you Souray.

Did you guys listen to the TSN broadband news thing on Souray. How it was a hard decision and then how it was an easy decision. What a bone head!