Religion or hockey?

mathieu30

So half their schedule falls on the Sabbath or a holiday? That's pretty hard to believe. They must have a game every single Friday night all season long.

Wow, upon further thought, I guess a 6-7 month season does mean 24-28 Fridays, plus the holidays.

Walter: I told those fuks down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!

Donny: What's Shabbos?

Walter: Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't fukkin ride in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as shiit DON'T FUKKEN ROLL! Shomer shabbos!

Dude: Walter...

Walter: Shomer fukkin shabbos.

Dude: Oh fukk it.

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

Walter: I told those fuks down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!

Donny: What's Shabbos?

Walter: Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't fukkin ride in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as shiit DON'T FUKKEN ROLL! Shomer shabbos!

Dude: Walter...

Walter: Shomer fukkin shabbos.

Dude: Oh fukk it.

The Big Lebowski. :lol:

And I've heard of this guy before - he'll never make the NHL if he stays shomer Shabbat though.

This story seems to be almost a year old. Does anyone know how this guy is progressing?

apparently he's doing really good but since NHl teams play most of their games on a saturday, they'd probably take a pass on him.

maybe he should try to contact mathieu schneider or camalerri on how they deal with being a jew in the NHL.

apparently he's doing really good but since NHl teams play most of their games on a saturday, they'd probably take a pass on him.

Saturday night games wouldn't be a problem, it's from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday he can't play.

At least hockey is real.

If you reply to this, do so on PM, as I don't want this to be a religious debate thread. But this needs to be said: who is to say religion isn't real?

This story seems to be almost a year old. Does anyone know how this guy is progressing?

The article is from '06 but the reportage on tsn is from yesterday. You can still watch it on tsn.ca. The kid got traded to Gatineau.

Saturday night games wouldn't be a problem, it's from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday he can't play.

but early in the season havdalah would overlap with the puck drop on saturday and later on he would just make it to the game. He wouldn't be able to do the pre-game skates on Saturday games and he wouldn't be able to travel with the team for the Saturday away games. Also, try finding a kosher meal in some NHL cities.

but early in the season havdalah would overlap with the puck drop on saturday and later on he would just make it to the game. He wouldn't be able to do the pre-game skates on Saturday games and he wouldn't be able to travel with the team for the Saturday away games. Also, try finding a kosher meal in some NHL cities.

He can't even travel during the Sabbath? I take it that means he has to live within walking distance of a synagogue.

He can't even travel during the Sabbath? I take it that means he has to live within walking distance of a synagogue.

nope. can't carry his bags either. Can't pay somebody else to carry his bags. He would have to stay at his prayer location (or thereabouts) during the sabbath and he can only start traveling after the sabbath. So let us say sundown was a 5:45pm, he could probably get the ending rituals done by 6:15pm (if he rushed) and then he could travel to the arena... maybe get there by 7pm and just straight on the ice? without any warmup.

lets say its early june and his teams( the canadiens ^_^ ) are playing a stanley cup final game out west. the game would start at 8pm eastern time thus start at 5pm western time...he wouldnt be able to play.

also as I understand, he cannot use electricity or a motor vehicule on from sundown friday to sundown saturday which makes it almost impossible for him to travel.

I dont think it would be that much of a problem given all the contacts teams have everywhere.

If you reply to this, do so on PM, as I don't want this to be a religious debate thread. But this needs to be said: who is to say religion isn't real?

UGH!!! :rolleyes:

Professional hockey player is simply not a profession that is compatible with his faith. Therefore, if his faith is strong enough, there is no choice. However, if his parents are the ones making the decision, and he wants to become a pro hockey player, it's unfortunate. However, at age 18 his parents lose making those decisions for him legally anyways (and actually isn't it at 16 if he really wanted it to be?). So it might set him back, but only temporarily.

Guys like Schneider & Halpern are not orthodox Jews from what I understand. This young man is from a very conservative and more traditional sect of Judaism.

apparently both sides agreed on a compromise. rubin will miss about 5-6 games due to jewish holiday but will be allowed to play during shabbath(sp?)