The Canadiens Coaching Staff Thread

Athlétique.Canadien

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, i agree, but there still a hand full of players bringing the team down, not playing hard or not buying into the system.

yes, but with their contracts, these handful of players can't just be delt off to some other team; they're our problem. This year will be a big improvement in effort, small improvement in points. Next year, more improvement in points, and the year after I think will be the real year we move into better contention with the "new core" becoming the vets and the poison completely gone... Just my wild predictions.

Or hhire someone to teach these guys how to win a fight, play hard for 60 minutes, play with a lead and teach these guys how NOT to take stupid penalties. Then they will be set.

So now we hire Larry Robinson and we're all set. :)

I totally agree with that, I think you may be able to trade Dandy and Ryder. Bouillon, Kovalev and the one other one will be difficult to move for a variety of reasons.

you think Dandy's more tradeable than Bouillon? He makes more money doesn't he? I think Bouillon tries harder than Dandy.. they're both pretty bad at this point, but the difference is Bouillon's slightly less bad now, while Dandy used to be better years ago... IF we were stuck with one, which I think we will be, I'd rather keep Bouillon.

Edit: I also think it might be too early to get rid of Ryder based solely on D'ago's camp, but he might be a great replacement long term. The main knock on D'ago is he's not yet solid defensively, and it's not like Ryder's gonna get much better defensively at this point...

Edited by ShortHanded

I wouldn't keep either one. There are better younger D ready to play right now.

Dandy can play both D and forward, great speed, and before joining the Habs he was a winner. So i just think he brings more to a team.

Bouillon just doesn't bring anything to the table. 12 points and a minus 8 or something isn't that hard to find in a D man. Especially at his price. Bouillon has been waived twice and only the Habs think he has value.

i've not only heard Ryan Walter speak, but have met Ryan Walter a few times, and he is WAY more than what we see on TV or in interviews. in person he has a knack of cutting through the mask and getting to the core of issues. he is great one on one - and great at addressing specific issues. he is a complete person. he has nothing to gain or nothing to lose in the hockey world (he doesn't NEED this job). he will add a specialized depth to the coaching staff that i would suggest would be even DEEPER than Anthony Robbins. Robbins although excellent, was/is more of a trendy, gimmick motivational speaker - Walter is a real person who is motivated by all the right reasons.

a top level organization is filled with top level individuals - and Ryan Walter is one of those. this can do nothing but help the team. does it win us a Stanley Cup? of course not, players score goals, not coaches - but - if the players listen to Walter, this is definitely a step in the right direction.

i've not only heard Ryan Walter speak, but have met Ryan Walter a few times, and he is WAY more than what we see on TV or in interviews. in person he has a knack of cutting through the mask and getting to the core of issues. he is great one on one - and great at addressing specific issues. he is a complete person. he has nothing to gain or nothing to lose in the hockey world (he doesn't NEED this job). he will add a specialized depth to the coaching staff that i would suggest would be even DEEPER than Anthony Robbins. Robbins although excellent, was/is more of a trendy, gimmick motivational speaker - Walter is a real person who is motivated by all the right reasons.

a top level organization is filled with top level individuals - and Ryan Walter is one of those. this can do nothing but help the team. does it win us a Stanley Cup? of course not, players score goals, not coaches - but - if the players listen to Walter, this is definitely a step in the right direction.

You should get him to do a duet with you in your next sermon. :P

You should get him to do a duet with you in your next sermon. :P

too late now - he's busy :(

bad for me, good for the Habs

:clap:

i am surprised not to see a thread about this in its own right but here goes.....

what is carbo thinking putting brisebois as the fourth defenseman instead of streit?

is he trying to lose the players from the first game this year? i cant see the logic in this at all.

go :hlogo: go

i am surprised not to see a thread about this in its own right but here goes.....

what is carbo thinking putting brisebois as the fourth defenseman instead of streit?

is he trying to lose the players from the first game this year? i cant see the logic in this at all.

go :hlogo: go

I highly doubt Brisebois will play more than Streit on most nights.

It's a preseason game, and it's Brisebois' first in a long time, he might just be trying to warm him up. I'm not sure if Brisebois will even be a regular on our blueline, I don't think the way he was used this game means anything at all.

My pairings:

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Gorges-Streit

Bouillon

Brisebois

Dandy gone

If O'Byrne is cut then:

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-Streit

Gorges-Brisebois

Bouillon

Dandy probably gone

I definitely prefer the first ones but I would understand using Brisebois with Hamrlik. I wouldn't mind that at all, having a reliable d-man defensively to play with him, also there's the only other RD is Dandenault and possibly Gorges and none of those guys belong on a second pairing any more than Brisebois does.

Don't forget Dandy can play forward, so i think Boulion would be more likely to be traded.

Well, Dandy does have more trade value so I dunno.

Boullion or Dandy who will get traded?

Ryan Walter was brought in to help the youth IMO. Not the vets. That's up to Carbo, Muller and Jarvis. I for one have no problem with Walter being there as another support person. To those of you who have not played hockey nor have worked close to a pro team; there usually are 4 to 5 coaches anyway! It's good for stability and I am very happy he is with us!

Don't forget Dandy can play forward, so i think Boulion would be more likely to be traded.

Well, Dandy does have more trade value so I dunno.

Boullion or Dandy who will get traded?

I can't predict who will get traded but I think they prefer Bouillon to Dandenault. I don't think Dandy will be used no forward, I think they'd rather use Lapierre, Kostopoulos or Chipchura there, or even Murray. If there were injuries I think they'd be more likely to call up D'Agostini or Kostitsyn or Lahti. There is really enough depth at every position for Dandenault to be useless to us.

WILL WE SEE GAINEY BEHIND THE BENCH AGAIN IN 2008?

Is anyone as surprised as I am how in the last couple of weeks and last couple of press conferences Gainey has vocally stepped on Carbo's feet.

Both of their thoughts, ideals and future plans have been printed in the media and then Gainey steps up to the mic and says.....It's my decision, and I have the last word, and this is how it's going to be. Carbo' tune always changes right after " Ummm....ya....Ummm.....It's about winning ....sure..... ya.....winning"

I don't have a problem with it. I love the way Gainey address's all situation's. Never beats around the bush and always tell's it how it is. It does sound as though they have butted heads this entire trainig camp in a bad way. To the point that Gainey has to announce it to the media as SO. It worries me a little only because Carbo had trouble getting respect last year and this won't help. Guys like Kovalev will take a situation like this and use it as an excuse to be an ass. I hope I'm wrong but I can't help but feel something ain't right between Gainey and Carbo to my extreme surprise.

Gainey has always been Carbo's mentor, I think he is still teaching Carbo some things, and when it comes to tough decisions like whether to keep Price or not, you usually need a lot of experience with this stuff to do the right thing. He will be a good coach someday and the fact that Gainey hired a rookie coach means that he is going to be patient with him and let him learn the game.

Gainey has always been Carbo's mentor, I think he is still teaching Carbo some things, and when it comes to tough decisions like whether to keep Price or not, you usually need a lot of experience with this stuff to do the right thing. He will be a good coach someday and the fact that Gainey hired a rookie coach means that he is going to be patient with him and let him learn the game.

Very good points BTH. I really like Carbo and want him to find success behind the bench, that is for sure. It just seemed strange how Gainey was high on the horse of his decisions. You are probably right though.

I just want to say, every time Gainey opens his mouth I LOVE what I hear. Like when they asked him if Grabovski could light a fire under Kovalev, he replied: 'Let's not put the cart before the horse. We should be asking what Kovalev can do for Grabovski.'

You listening, Kovalev, ya jerk? :lol:

As for the Carbonneau thing - there's no question who the Alpha Male is in that relationship. Gainey has mentored Carbo from the very beginning of his career right through until now. While I've been critical of some of Carbo's moves - he clearly is still on a learning curve - the great thing about having Carbo as a coach is first, that he has clearly shown an ability to bring the young players along; and second, that his job is secure barring total disaster, precisely because he's Gainey's protegé. This means that he won't pull a Claude Julien and leave excellent young talent to rot away on because he has a better chance to squeak out wins, right now, and therefore save his job, with mediocre but 'proven' vets. Carbo can withstand the growing pains and thus help to develop a better team in the medium run. It also means that crybaby players like Kovy and Samsonov have zero chance of staging a putsch and getting the coach removed: the authority structure is clear. Plus, Carbo will be able to instil a system and have it remain in place for years, which means that, once we start winning, we're likely to continue winning for a good long time, a la New Jersey.

So Bob has too much invested in Guy to allow a dispute over Price to do any damage to their relationship. Don't listen to the French media types. This organization is as focused and coherent an operation as it's ever been IMHO.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber