Shocking attempt at a Tavares snatch job

st_hat_trick

WHAT ??? this is legal ?

If it works and Tavares actually goes for it (hard to see) I'm sure the NHL will fill in the loophole shortly thereafter. The one problem is the NHL hasn't actually been very flexible from his point of view so maybe he's po'd enough to stick a finger in their eye?? Who knows.

i doubt this is legal. If it was, Fergusen Jr. probably wouldn't be the first to figure it out.

If it is legal, the habs may just be able to lure in as many french canadien kids as they want

And the Laffs win the Cup this year. :lol:

What a pipe dream!!

Seriously, how could they think something like this would possibly work?

The Kid is the 2nd player to be allowed to play OHL underage (Spezza was the 1st). The kid asks for special considerations in the NHL draft to be drafted earlier that usually allowed. Now what in the world would make somebody think that the kid doesnt want to play in the NHL untill he is 21? :rolleyes:

I've got a uncanny feeling that Tavares wants to play in the NHL when he is 18!! ^_^

Once again JFJ proves he's a complete idiot.

Tavares will probably go to Russia like Perzhogin until he is drafted. That way he gets to play pro with adults, gets more experience and money.

Everybody's got their panties in a knot for nothing.

Even if the Marlies did sign him before he's drafted, he'd never be able to play for the Leafs because no matter how Bettman rules, no North American player can play for an NHL team or be signed to an NHL contract without going through the draft at least once. I'm not even certain if anyone on the MLSE payroll can even talk to Tavares about a contract without being charged with tampering. He'd have to sign an AHL contract, if they decide to allow it, which they very well could do. The agreement between the NHL and the CHL says that players with junior eligibillity would not be assigned to AHL teams if they didn't make the NHL team. I don't know of any agreement which prevents an AHL team from signing a player who still has junior eligibility.

Edited by RobRock

If this does go through Gainey should have a field day signing anyone he wants in the Q....just sign the whole league.

If this actually does go through, there is no point in holding the NHL draft ever. Teams would have the chance to just pick off the players they want from junior.

Guys...slow down...JFJ wants to sign him to the MARLIES. They are NOT THE LEAFS.

No one is saying he'll be property of the Leafs organization. I repeat...JFJ and MLSE are NOT trying to acquire a junior player for the NHL club and bypass the draft. The MLSE(hence JFJ's involvement as he oversee's both clubs) are also the owners of the Marlies AHL franchise...they are trying to get Tavares to the AHL for the Marlies gate draw.

The kid just wants to play in the AHL ahead of the deadline to further his development.

He turns 18 just 5 days after the deadline cut-off of September 15th(ie. his 18th birthday is September 20th). As a result he'd have to spend an entire season in junior again. I would HIGHLY doubt the AHL would approve this anyways...what in the world would be their incentive? Most of their teams are out of the US and those fans have probably never even heard of Tavares...so there is no gain at the gate when he's on the road...sooo...why would any other club want to "help" agree to waive the AHL bylaws and let Tavares play for their competition?

Tavares would still have to go through an NHL draft before anyone can claim they own his rights.

the commisonner(sp?) of the AHL said that there's noway that tavares could play in the ahl next year. a 19 year old coming from the canadian leauge has to go back there...unless nobody want them. I know they did exceptions in 04-05 but that was becasue of the lockout.

no North American player can play for an NHL team or be signed to an NHL contract without going through the draft at least once.

No, thats not true. Martin St. Louis was never drafted. I'm not sure the exact rules with the new CBA, but it has to do with age. I dont think its 21, probably UFA eligible age before any team can just sign them. If there was a player on your team in a mens beer league with a shot like Ryder, the Habs could just sign him if he's over 25?. Players out of Junior cant just be poached like this. Just like Lindros, players coming out of Junior that refuse to sign for 2 years with the team that drafted them are then thrown back into the entry draft. If the player doesnt sign with the 2nd team that drafts him I think he gets drafted a 3rd time, etc till he is UFA eligble age. Basically the only way it would work for the Lafs to get him in the NHL would be if 1 of the teams that drafts him agree to trade him to Toronto. Like any would though for less than it would be worth. How long do you really think he wants to sit out to play for the Laffs? Has he even stated any desire at all to play for them? :unsure:

Plus how he got the special circumstance to play OHL underage, he had to agree to some terms. One of these terms is that he has to play 4 years in OHL. So I believe legally he has to play in OHL next year. Sux0rs for him, he's only 5 days off the required date. It's kinda stupid really. Apparently they are right stiff on that rule though, Ovetchkins b-day is Sept 17 and they wouldnt bend it for him either. :o

someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the NHL stop this claiming of players back in the 70's to curtail the Habs dominance of Quebec players?

If I recall correctly: No. The rule change in the 70's I think you mean is the Habs no longer getting 1st dibs on Quebec players. Up untill the mid 70's the Habs got the 1st pick of any players from Quebec. So basically the best French player in every draft was Montreals. Just think of how sick that rule was. Think of the teams they would have had since with Mario, Bossey, etc. Its no bloody wonder why Habs have won so many Cups. :lol:

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

Here's the rule in a nutshell (Rule 8.4)

All players over 18 are draftable except:

a player on another team's reserve list

a player who's been selected in two previous drafts (and unsigned both times, obviously)

a player 21 or older who has never been drafted before and played in North America between the ages of 18-20 (junior or college). They can come into the league as UFAs

a player 22 or older who has never been drafted, regardless of where they played.

If I recall correctly: No. The rule change in the 70's I think you mean is the Habs no longer getting 1st dibs on Quebec players. Up untill the mid 70's the Habs got the 1st pick of any players from Quebec. So basically the best French player in every draft was Montreals. Just think of how sick that rule was. Think of the teams they would have had since with Mario, Bossey, etc. Its no bloody wonder why Habs have won so many Cups. :lol:

That was not the case, 50 mile radius only as did all teams. The unlevel playing field was due to Montreal's many Minor Leagues they developed, as did Toronto. They signed Quebec players to these leagues and created a huge farm system. But Leaf fans will tell you we had exclusive rights, they are wrong.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/hockeyfaq...f/canadiens.htm

There it is in a nut shell.

Ek says it was all a LIE...................http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=10626

"GMs Gone Wild...

First off, I am hearing rumours from VERY trusted sources that all this "Leafs signed Tavares to an AHL contract" stuff started from a late-night bar conversation that was completely planted by an upper management person in Leafland as a way to divert attention from the actual struggles of the Leafs themselves. It was a desperate attempt to save a job, and although I really wish this was something I was making up, it is ABSOLUTELY the case. There was never a chance of it happening, and yet certain people lied to certain people and said it was....pretty pathetic when you reach this point."