Game Thread | Canadiens vs. Boston | 11/08/07

Spider-Man NL

I think another big difference is Montreal may stuble but not break this year. Hammer and Smoke are good veterans and Dandy is doing great as a forward with speed and constant checking. Veterans really do know the difference between Panic vs methodical puck movement.

PLUS

That flu bug crippled the good guys last year. They stumbled, got hit by the flu(Whatever that was) and did not have Huet for a stretch in time. Those were all factors, not just dumb penalties and bad play. Komisarek played great last night and is going to be someone they can count on. Last year he was all about the big hit.

Streit had a good year last year and so far he is good as a #5 #6 defenceman.

WHEN the Koivu line kicks it in gear this team should be more balanced and offer more goal production then they currently have. I look at the bright side, the team is 7-0-3 when winning after two periods. 9-3-3 overal record. This means they are capable of putting a game plan together and win. Which is not a bad thing at all.

I can't argue any points as to why Montreal is not better. I believe they are. Jesus you can use simplistic analysis and say that if even Huet falters in the second half again that Carey Price only has to be 1 point better than Abby (A given).

But, I am on board with Gainey's program. My expectations for this year were Price/Chips proving they belonged. Higgins/Komisarek/Plekanec/Latendresse/Kostitsyn getting better. Carbonneau learning from his mistakes and maybe 1 surprise, like S. Kostitsyn/O'Byrne making it or Gainey pushing his chips in and picking up the stud he could not acquire through Free Agency.

The only things I have yet to see is Lats getting better and my last point. Everything else is a bonus. I hope you are right, and if you are I will commend you on your faith. But I can commend Leaf fans on their faith....for the last 40 years.

My thumb is up, but I am cautiously optimistic.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did the Cube elbow Ward last night????

I didn't think so......

Here the best video I have seen on it yet:

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/video/latest/2007...hts_MTL_2_BOS_1

He doesn't move his elbow at all. If he did, he did a masterful job of hiding it. Just a weird hit.

I thought in this day with camera's everywhere that there'd be a better shot of it...........But looking at that shot he just skated past him and catches Ward on the "Lindros"

Kudos for Eric donating $5 mil..........that's probably his tab at the hospital over teh years

Well, I'm a Wamsley01 fan - I seem to agree with 99% of what he says whenever he posts, including being in the weird position of believing *intellectually* that this team has finally been remade in the image of its makers, as a tight, defensively responsible, disciplined team with enough offensive talent to get it done. But like Wamsley, I'm profoundly reluctant to 'buy in' until, say, March.

This is the first Habs team since about 1994 that reminds me of those teams of the 80s. We can actually *win* those tight one-goal games, not with some timely offence, but by not coughing up the lead in the first place. Lots of grit and determination. Etc.. But I won't start announcing that to the rooftops (including the many people I know who are incapable of taking the Habs seriously) until they've shown that they can sustain this for the duration. This board is the only place where I dare vent my cautious enthusiasm :lol:

I'd like to add that if any one individual has contributed to this change more than any other (besides Carbo's increasingly convincing coaching), it's got to be Roman Hamrlik. The switch from him to Souray has been massive in terms of stabilizing our D. :clap: Gainey's off-season moves, so vehemently derided by fans, are proving to be absolutely classic Gainey: low-key, but designed to build winners, not headlines.

Well, I'm a Wamsley01 fan - I seem to agree with 99% of what he says whenever he posts, including being in the weird position of believing *intellectually* that this team has finally been remade in the image of its makers, as a tight, defensively responsible, disciplined team with enough offensive talent to get it done. But like Wamsley, I'm profoundly reluctant to 'buy in' until, say, March.

This is the first Habs team since about 1994 that reminds me of those teams of the 80s. We can actually *win* those tight one-goal games, not with some timely offence, but by not coughing up the lead in the first place. Lots of grit and determination. Etc.. But I won't start announcing that to the rooftops (including the many people I know who are incapable of taking the Habs seriously) until they've shown that they can sustain this for the duration. This board is the only place where I dare vent my cautious enthusiasm :lol:

I'd like to add that if any one individual has contributed to this change more than any other (besides Carbo's increasingly convincing coaching), it's got to be Roman Hamrlik. The switch from him to Souray has been massive in terms of stabilizing our D. :clap: Gainey's off-season moves, so vehemently derided by fans, are proving to be absolutely classic Gainey: low-key, but designed to build winners, not headlines.

You are making me blush CC :)

It is funny you say it reminds you of the 80s teams. I was just telling another habs fan that last night in the last 5 minutes reminded me of when they used to roll out Gainey, Carbonneau, Skrudland, McPhee, Walter, Corson and just grind out the last 5-6 minutes. I used to lock up wins and take for granted the way they shut it down. But boy the last 10 years has almost made me forget the days when they could lock down anybody.

Rivet, Souray, Dykhuis, Traverse, Quintal, Ulanov all made me shudder with 1 minute to go.

Good win last night, onward to Ottawa.

Edited by Wamsley01

I am still cautious on this team.

The two biggest worry factors for me are the lack of 5-5 scoring and the playing down to the competition.

We are just as reliant on the power play as last year. If the PP goes south on them for a while, we could be in trouble.

Now, I more comfortable thinking that while they are a bubble team, they will be on the right side of the bubble this year. Still, I don't think they are really the 3rd best team in the league. If you remember last year, many top teams came out of the gate slow, but eventually rolled on to the top of the standings and became much tougher to play against.

On the bright side, I think Pitts is taking a step backwards this year. Same for NJ and Buffalo. So that helps our chances signficantly. Not sure we are on the same page as Ottawa yet. :)

I must add my two cents in about the Bruins whining. I'm not the Cube's buggest fan, but Ward should have had this head up. He was sskating in lala land and got popped. Almost like Bergeron. He's being a whiny bitch about being slammed into the boards from behind, but he never shouda turned his back to the plya. He was asking to get plastered into the boards. If he doesn't play again he can only blame himself. Why turn your head when you're 2 feet from the boards. Only his dumbass knows that. He knows better.

I watched this game in bed for the second of 3 days with the flu, up and around doing better, thanks. My analysis of the game seemed to differ from others so I replayed the game today. I noticed what I didn't game night and that was how we slowed and controlled thew game. In my heated state, pun intended, I only noticed the lack of speed to our attack, and therefore assumed we were playing down, when it appears in fact that was our game plan. My Bad.

Oh, I stick to my opinion of Thomas, I remember us chasing him last year and his secret is 5 hole, Gerber if we remember from the ill-fated playoff, you wait and go high.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen