Les Glorieux?

jcc

Sadly, my earliest hockey memories are of teams filled with Turner Stevenson, Benoit Brunet, Patrick Poulin, Trevor Linden, Sergei Zholktok, Oleg Petrov, Igor Ulanov, Patrick Traverse, Gino Odjick and Christian Laflamme.

Though in hindsight, I think it makes me a bit more grounded than some who've had their standards confused with memories of dynasties, superstars and Montreal championship teams - things that rank somewhere between hobbits and God in my list of mythical creatures.

Also, it means that when we finally do win ('09, I've been saying it for years now), it'll be special to me since ever since I've watched this team they've been a piece of garbage. My first year following the team they were 14th in the East and I've watched them get gradually better for the past few years (almost a decade). Nothing is better than following a team through the dark days and then watching them until they win a Stanley Cup.

We're on the brink now; this year we'll go deep and next year we'll win it all. There is no doubt in my mind.

Harvey, Jean B. , Bouchard, H. Richard. Gods yes, "hobbits"? not a chance. That would be Nasland, Petrov and Koivu! They could form the fellowship quite easily.

Yes, I was lucky to have lived through some great teams, and when you reach my age will talk of the dynasties of the millenia and teens with equal pride.

At that time your standards will be as clear, not confused as you say, as mine. If it ain't a cup year, who wants to remember it?

Love the who's not who of your names you threw out. Man, I try not to remember those teams. Luckily I had the 70's to carry me through those years.

I was born in 85 and remember 93 like it was yesterday.

I was born in 73, but can remember watching Lafleur with my dad. He was my hero at 6 years old and it continued. It's funny what you can remember when you are young and impressionable.

I was born in 73, but can remember watching Lafleur with my dad. He was my hero at 6 years old and it continued. It's funny what you can remember when you are young and impressionable.

I was born in 73 as well and Lafleur was my first hero. I still remember being pissed when he potted 2 goals

on his return to the Forum and they gave Corson the first star because he had a hat trick. Odd, in Montreal they usually always get it right.

I also will never forget Bob Cole almost having a heart attack when Lafleur scored in his final game at the Forum with the Nords.

I'm an old man around here - born in 1970, but the first really clear memory I have is of Game 7 of the semi-finals in 1979 against the Bruins. I remember praying earnestly to God for the Habs to tie when they were losing (!). Straight out of The Hockey Sweater. I also remember writing several pages of adulation to Guy Lafleur and getting a package back, with a huge poster and a bunch of other Flower-related stuff.

Clear memories of 1986, but funnily enough my memory *really* snaps into focus in the post-86 period. It's like I hit a point where I really started to understand what I was seeing instead of just getting wrapped up in sheer excitement. So my clearest memories are of those gutsy Habs teams of the late 80s and early 90s, including the bitter, bitter loss to Calgary in 89, with Gainey, Robinson, Naslund, Bobby Smith, Nilan, Mike McPhee, Carbo, Craig 'Elbows' Ludwig, Lemieux, Roy, Richer...and eventually Muller, Damphouse, Bellows and Roy, the nucleus of the 1993 team. They gave me a chance no one will ever have again, namely to BE IN THE MONTREAL FORUM WHILE THE CANADIENS LIFTED A CUP.

A chair from the old Forum still has a place of honour in my house.

This team is obviously not in the same class as the Lafleur era, but it looks like a worthy successor to those 80s-90s teams for sure.

If the Habs do win again, I won't be responsible for my actions...a tear of joy or two just might stain this grizzled old cheek. ^_^

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

This is the best Habs team I've ever cheered for, and I love it. These are guys that I've been following more or less since they were drafted, and it's awesome to see them come together and progress like this. I want to see them lift a Cup or two or three in the next decade.

I'm an old man around here - born in 1970, but the first really clear memory I have is of Game 7 of the semi-finals in 1979 against the Bruins. I remember praying earnestly to God for the Habs to tie when they were losing (!). Straight out of The Hockey Sweater. I also remember writing several pages of adulation to Guy Lafleur and getting a package back, with a huge poster and a bunch of other Flower-related stuff.

Clear memories of 1986, but funnily enough my memory *really* snaps into focus in the post-86 period. It's like I hit a point where I really started to understand what I was seeing instead of just getting wrapped up in sheer excitement. So my clearest memories are of those gutsy Habs teams of the late 80s and early 90s, including the bitter, bitter loss to Calgary in 89, with Gainey, Robinson, Naslund, Bobby Smith, Nilan, Mike McPhee, Carbo, Craig 'Elbows' Ludwig, Lemieux, Roy, Richer...and eventually Muller, Damphouse, Bellows and Roy, the nucleus of the 1993 team. They gave me a chance no one will ever have again, namely to BE IN THE MONTREAL FORUM WHILE THE CANADIENS LIFTED A CUP.

This team is obviously not in the same class as the Lafleur era, but it looks like a worthy successor to those 80s-90s teams for sure.

If the Habs do win again, I won't be responsible for my actions...a tear of joy or two just might stain this grizzled old cheek. ^_^

I am in the same position as you. I remember and love Lafleur based more on childhood idolization, than on rational memory, but watching Nilan beat the crap out of Kurt Fraser or Richer crank out a 50 goal season, or the Roohah chants in 86 are a lot more clear and a lot more rational. Even still childhood idol wins. I still love Lafleur to this day. His pic sits in my bedroom. It's wierd, you'd think it would be Roy. I hope the team can get another flying frenchman.

Edited by BCHabnut

That's my childhood teams. Not as good as in the 70's but still began (86) and ended (93) with Stanley Cups. Still had that Montreal Mystique.

What this team has in common with the old teams is that it's mostly players the Habs drafted and developped properly through the AHL system. Players molded into the team-first mentality. That's the Habs tradition.

If the Habs do win again, I won't be responsible for my actions...a tear of joy or two just might stain this grizzled old cheek.

I'm not a very emotional guy, but If the Habs were to win a cup, I'll be on Ste-Catherine street crying like a baby! I'm not even ashamed to say it! :D

I envy you CC. That would be pretty awesome. It was on my 20th Bday when they won in 93, but that is nothing in comparison to feeling the joy and energy of the old forum that night.

I also have a Forum chair in my basement. A white seat with the number 33 on it :)

I'm not a very emotional guy, but If the Habs were to win a cup, I'll be on Ste-Catherine street crying like a baby! I'm not even ashamed to say it! :D

Are you kidding, I get emotional watching that youtube clip with Fix You from Coldplay ^_^

You win Wamsley, my chair is a blue!

Yeah, to be in the Forum on that night in 93 was something else. We had standing room and my brother had gone down to the Forum at 4 PM (!) to hold a good spot. Sure enough, we grabbed a perfect spot, right at centre ice. I remember Patrick Roy lifting the Cup and hollering like a madman in our direction, and everyone roaring ecstatically right back at him :lol: I get chills thinking about it.

But you know, I was also in the Forum, at the same spot practically, for Game 2 of that series when McSorley got called on the stick and Desjardins tied it up in the final minute. As crazy as it is to say, that goal might be the most exhilarating single instant in my memory. It was just unbelievable.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Yeah, to be in the Forum on that night in 93 was something else. We had standing room and my brother had gone down to the Forum at 4 PM (!) to hold a good spot. Sure enough, we grabbed a perfect spot, right at centre ice. I remember Patrick Roy lifting the Cup and hollering like a madman in our direction, and everyone roaring ecstatically right back at him :lol: I get chills thinking about it.

But you know, I was also in the Forum, at the same spot practically, for Game 2 of that series when McSorley got called on the stick and Desjardins tied it up in the final minute. As crazy as it is to say, that goal might be the most exhilarating single instant in my memory. It was just unbelievable.

I think it is the biggest moment for me as a Habs fan. I don't really remember Lafleur's goal in 79, I was only 6.

But to be lifted from sure defeat to restoring hope, it was unbelievable. You are a lucky man

Although we had already won a few in my life, the first I remember is '69. We swept the Blues. What I recall is my grandfather and I watching the last game with brooms in hand! I also remember teasing my grandmother, saying we win again!! She was a lifer Leaf fan, not quite as bad back then. I know that I was aware of us winning the year before, but don't remember it happenning. I was 4 and a half at the time. I remember every cup win since, although '86 is blurred by pot! I was born in '64.

Damn yo guys are lucky! I was working the night the Habs won the cup in 93. I got off work at 9PM that night, adn headed to one of my friend's place to join my other buddies who had been drinking and partying all night. I got there just in time to watch the last 10 minutes of the game.

The thing I remember the most about that game is Bob Cole screaming into the Microphone: And now a 24th stanley cup banner will hang from the rafters of the Famous Forum in Montreal.!" That gave me goosbumps like I've never had since then!

Edited by Habsfan

Damn yo guys are lucky! I was working the night the Habs won the cup in 93. I got off work at 9PM that night, adn headed to one of my friend's place to join my other buddies who had been dringking and partying all night. I got there just in time to watch the last 10 minutes of the game.

The thing I remember the most about that game is Bob Cole screaming into the Microphone: And now a 24th stanley cup banner will hang from the rafters of the Famous Forum in Montreal.!" That gave me goosbumps like I've never had since then!

I had a shitty job at the time and told them about a week before the game that I wouldn't be working that night. Didn't tell them why, but if they hadn't let me go I would have gone anyway. It would have taken a nuclear war to stop me. As it was, I got off work at 5 PM and drove downtown to hook up with my bro who had been faithfully 'guarding' our spot in line. You bet I'm lucky; hell, I knew it at the time. (And try getting standing room now, it doesn't exist!). Ah memories. ^_^

Damn yo guys are lucky! I was working the night the Habs won the cup in 93. I got off work at 9PM that night, adn headed to one of my friend's place to join my other buddies who had been dringking and partying all night. I got there just in time to watch the last 10 minutes of the game.

I am reminded every time I crack a beer "And now a 24th stanley cup banner will hang from the rafters of the Famous Forum in Montreal"

I love breaking it out when my Leaf fan buddies ask if I have a bottle opener :lol:

I was 20 so I was at the age if my job told me I had to work I would have told them to go ###### themselves, wouldn't have been the first or last time I did that in my youth.