For Better or Worse: This is Your Team! (Update) Gainey Speaks...

kenadian

I'm not trying to be ass here, but how exactly was saturday's loss to the Blue Jackets A "good loss"?

Yeah it was a bad bad loss.

Remember the 5 on 3.

The Habs did nothing that game it was a snooze fest.

I was just saying we had some good offensive swarming in their zone

The interesting thing about the Huet move is it's very similar to the non-Souray move. I'm not talking about similar events. Huet was traded - Souray was not. What I mean is a similarity in philosophy. BOb kept Souray for a stretch run push from February 27th 2007 to the end of the season - it didn't work :(

In this case he kept Huet for valuble points from the beginning of this season until February 26th. Opposite results but the same sort of philosophy is in play here.

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

I think it was an OK move. What was the rush to improve the Thrashers by adding 3rd and 4th liners? I mean he gave up a 3rd liner in the deal back.

Adding Esposito is any easy appeasement to the fans and ownership as a name prospect. But the guy nose dived to the bottom half of the first round.

What type of prospect goes from 98 points as a 17 year old to 55 as a a 19 year old? Has any prospect ever regressed their point total yearly from

the age of 17-19 in the same league? Now they add a pick for a GM who other than top 10 picks has been less than impressive.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr001790.html

it's a veritable "who's that?" of hockey!

What type of prospect goes from 98 points as a 17 year old to 55 as a a 19 year old? Has any prospect ever regressed their point total yearly from

the age of 17-19 in the same league?

I must admit that as more and more time passes, I'm really happy we didn'T draft Esposito. THe guy is choking big time!

It's a similar thing for Columbus and Tampa Bay as well, if you check their recent draft history. Tampa is particularily bad because after their 1998 draft (Vinny and Richards) their 1st round picks have pretty much all busted to some degree. You think it might be a natural disadvantage, but then you look at Nashville having good success in the draft and you realize it's just incompetence.

I might be underrating Christensen, but I think the deal is just OK to meh.

As far as Esposito goes, when is the last time you saw a player not only decline in his second junior season, but then drop 15-20 spots in the draft and not come out with a vengeance to prove everybody wrong?

That screams bust to me. If that does not motivate the kid to work harder what will? The kid has been cut from 3 World Junior camps, dropped from the number 1 ranking

to number 20 and he responds with 55 points in 48 games to barely crack the top 50 in scoring in a league that he put up close to 100 at 17 years old. RED FLAGS abound.

Cherapanov? Anyways, once again, you've already stated your prediction for Esposito, but we'll have to wait several years before anything is proven.

Parent can be a second pairing defenceman and Upshall a second line forward. And then I think there was a 1st and a 2nd involved. I would take either one of those two guys over BOTH Armstrong and Christensen.

Yeah, they CAN be that good, and I think you would be all alone in a group of GMs on the subject of your evaluation of either of those guys being better than both of the Pitt players. Plus, there are two 1st rounders involved for Atlanta.

Edited by Neech

Yeah, they CAN be that could, and I think you would be all alone in a group of GMs on the subject of your evaluation of either of those guys being better than both of the Pitt players. Plus, there are two 1st rounders involved for Atlanta.

Fine. Upshall is already a second line forward and Parent is getting close to a second pairing defenceman, he's already in the NHL. They're just two safer and higher potential prospects. Armstrong is in the Lapierre mould, that is nothing special - and the major variable is how you value Esposito. In my books, he's a bust, but some GMs will see a potential 1st line centre in him.

Fine. Upshall is already a second line forward and Parent is getting close to a second pairing defenceman, he's already in the NHL. They're just two safer and higher potential prospects. Armstrong is in the Lapierre mould, that is nothing special - and the major variable is how you value Esposito. In my books, he's a bust, but some GMs will see a potential 1st line centre in him.

No, Ryan Parent is in the AHL, he's played seven games this season with the Flyers. Upshall is 24, it's more likely that he'll be a bottom-liner than a top six guy. Esposito is not yet a bust at the age of 19.

No, Ryan Parent is in the AHL, he's played seven games this season with the Flyers. Upshall is 24, it's more likely that he'll be a bottom-liner than a top six guy. Esposito is not yet a bust at the age of 19.

OK, I have given you reasons for the red flags. He has not improved in 3 years of junior, there have been questions about his work ethic and the guy obviously feels no need to prove anybody wrong (WJC snubs, draft free fall). So now, could I have your reasons as to why he will not be a bust. Just curious.

Because I have never heard of an elite player regress from 17-19 in major junior without injury. The guy has red flags all over him.

I just would like to know why you think that he is still a legit prospect.

The NHL is not about talent, it is about desire+commitment+talent. Ask Pavel Brendl or Alexandre Daigle. Both guys had more talent than Esposito,

but did not put in the work to make any impact at the NHL level.

OK, I have given you reasons for the red flags. He has not improved in 3 years of junior, there have been questions about his work ethic and the guy obviously feels no need to prove anybody wrong (WJC snubs, draft free fall). So now, could I have your reasons as to why he will not be a bust. Just curious.

Because I have never heard of an elite player regress from 17-19 in major junior without injury. The guy has red flags all over him.

I just would like to know why you think that he is still a legit prospect.

The NHL is not about talent, it is about desire+commitment+talent. Ask Pavel Brendl or Alexandre Daigle. Both guys had more talent than Esposito,

but did not put in the work to make any impact at the NHL level.

He's 19! I'm not saying that he will not be a bust, but he isn't yet. Pittsburgh didn't think so, they drafted him in the first round. There's no need to type out your reasons to think that he's a bust a fourth or fifth time, I already read them. In several years we will know if he is a bust or not, but we don't know yet. Maybe he will be playing in Europe by that time, or maybe he will be putting up 60 assists playing on a line with Kovalchuk.

true taht it might still be a bit early to say that Esposito will be a bust, seeing as he's only 19. But I also have to say that there are many things about his attitude that are worrisome. Like Wamsley said, not many "hot" prospects go from a 90+ points season at 17, to a 70+ point season at 18 and to finally finish his junior career with a 60+ point season at 19. Something is wrong with this kid at the moment. Maybe he'll wake up once he makes it to the NHL, but right now, If I were Atlanta, i'd be worried. Why would Pittsburgh trade him right away(not even after 1 year in the organization)???

Edited by Habsfan

He's 19! I'm not saying that he will not be a bust, but he isn't yet. Pittsburgh didn't think so, they drafted him in the first round. There's no need to type out your reasons to think that he's a bust a fourth or fifth time, I already read them. In several years we will know if he is a bust or not, but we don't know yet. Maybe he will be playing in Europe by that time, or maybe he will be putting up 60 assists playing on a line with Kovalchuk.

And.

So what he is 19, I gave you reasons why I thought he could be a bust. Your reason he wont be is he is 19?

So. Every player drafted last year is 19 right now, but if you told me a 2nd rounder would be a bust I wouldn't say you are wrong

he is 19. I would examine your reasoning and either A. agree or B. Form a counter argument why I felt you were wrong.

Give me some substantive reasoning as to why you feel he won't be a bust that clears up the red flags.

All I asked. I typed it out 4 to 5 times because you still have not addressed them. Feel free.

Edited by Wamsley01

I for one and extremely impressed with what has transpired this year in terms of our montreal canadiens. Bob Gainey has flown under the radar and built this team up from the draft. I love the habs and always have, but I never expected it to be this amazing this year. I know that as fans of montreal a lot of you are critical and so you should be of history's greatest hockey club. But at times I find the level of skepticism and pessimism slightly disturbing.

how many of us really believed that the habs would be contenders this year? I doubt a lot of you truly believed that, infact I remember reading all the bashing of Gainey's moves during free agency time, Hamrlik was "unproven" and Gorges was too young and inexperienced. There was a lot of bashing of getting rid of Rivet and a lot of mixed reaction over Souray. To me it seems as if Gainey has proved everybody outside the organization wrong, including his fans, and has shown what visionary he is. This years trade deadline is even more evidence of the habs' bright future. Gainey didn't sell the farm to win a cup this year with a "rental" player who is now injured, and I for one am relieved and overjoyed. So the only reaction from fans in MY opinion should be optimism and enjoyment, it's been a LONG time since montreal has looked this good. Enjoy it, and enjoy our 25th cup in 2009 the centenial baby that's what bob is going for!

GO :hlogo: Go

And.

So what he is 19, I gave you reasons why I thought he could be a bust. Your reason he wont be is he is 19?

So. Every player drafted last year is 19 right now, but if you told me a 2nd rounder would be a bust I wouldn't say you are wrong

he is 19. I would examine your reasoning and either A. agree or B. Form a counter argument why I felt you were wrong.

Give me some substantive reasoning as to why you feel he won't be a bust that clears up the red flags.

All I asked. I typed it out 4 to 5 times because you still have not addressed them. Feel free.

It's too early to tell whether or not he is a bust is all I'm saying. There's absolutely no use arguing over whether or not he will be a bust, because it hasn't happened yet. I am open to the possibility that he will be a bust, but a 19-year-old is not yet a bust. You have given reasons to believe that he WILL be a bust, but he is not a bust yet. I repeat, Esposito: not a bust yet.

It's too early to tell whether or not he is a bust is all I'm saying. There's absolutely no use arguing over whether or not he will be a bust, because it hasn't happened yet. I am open to the possibility that he will be a bust, but a 19-year-old is not yet a bust. You have given reasons to believe that he WILL be a bust, but he is not a bust yet. I repeat, Esposito: not a bust yet.

I agree he is not a bust yet as he is only 19 but when he is barley a top 50 scorer in his third year in the Q after being at the top 2 years ago and better last year as well you have to wonder.

I agree he is not a bust yet as he is only 19 but when he is barley a top 50 scorer in his third year in the Q after being at the top 2 years ago and better last year as well you have to wonder.

Well, I am not going to give the benefit of the doubt just because he is 19. It is more likely that he flames out then becomes a star.

Obviously anything is possible looking at certain players draft positions and success. I don't claim to be a fortune teller.

But common sense suggests a huge bust.

My guess would be there has not been a top 2 line forward that has regressed from 17 to 19 in junior hockey.