Is it just me or....

Partisan

Is it just me or....Smolinski smells like retirement...

Seriously, i really try to find him positive stuff for him. But i cant sustain myself whenever he plays. He produces jack ass...makes a ton of rookie mistakes although he's a veteran, doesnt seems like he supports his linemates a lot in brawls...usually skates away. I think i can't count on my fingers and toes the number of times he deceived me.

I wasnt expecting ANYTHING out of that player...but seriously he's so subpar to a NHLER...without his veteran status he would of getting so much more press box...

Please make Bégin healthy or call back Chipchura.....

He isn't that bad, he's still an NHL-level player. But he should and will retire after the season.

He isn't that bad, he's still an NHL-level player. But he should and will retire after the season.

Everytime he hits the ice, i tell to myself : Chipchura would be the same or better. Chichura is wasting his time in the AHL because of Smolisnski's contract.

Everytime he hits the ice, i tell to myself : Chipchura would be the same or better. Chichura is wasting his time in the AHL because of Smolisnski's contract.

Yeah, I agree that we're better off having Chipchura on the team. But I don't think Smolinski is hurting the team - he is just not helping us very much at all.

"should" and "will" are two different stories. why would he walk away from guaranteed money and a no trade clause? pride? no way. players wait all their careers for easy money.

Chipchura is actually one of the go to players down in Hamilton right now - so that really can't hurt his development seeing as he'll be getting big minutes in all situations compared to few minutes on the Habs' 4th line. I'd much rather see Smolinski mulling around there this season and have Chipchura come in next season with another year under his belt.

To simplify my point - the only reason I'd have Chips in there over Smolinski would be to gain experience. However, he'd be better off getting the experience in Hamilton.

Smokes is only subbing for Begin anyhow - who in my opinion, is a MUCH better option than both Chips and Smolinski (at this point of their respective careers).

Just wanna throw in my opinion on Smolinski. When BG signed Smokes in the offseason, it seemed like he got a decent veteran who could score some, and would add some stability to the centre position after Koivu and Plekanec. Seemed like a decent replacement for Bonk as someone who could score more. At the time i was still kinda hopin for Bonk to be resigned as I thought he did a decent job of being a shutdown centre last season

As i have watched Smokes play this year, it does look like he is just going through the motions and is already in retirement mode. It looks like he just doesn't want to compete. His defensive responsiblities are just horrendous. He does not play physical at all, and does never enter a scrum, even when his teammates are batttling hard. The giveaways he has made in his own zone lately are worse than most rookies i have seem. Has trouble getting the puck out of the zone and easily bumped off the puck.

His presence in the lineup is taking away from somebody who could be producing much more to the club. Whether it be Begin, even Dandy or Kostopolo. But even better would be Chipchura. Chips made less mistakes and would bring much more to the table, while gaining much valuable experience.

I was happy to see Smokes a healthy scratch a few times lately and would love to see him have a permanent spot besides

Breezer in the pressbox for the rest of the year.

"should" and "will" are two different stories. why would he walk away from guaranteed money and a no trade clause? pride? no way. players wait all their careers for easy money.

It was a one year contract - there's no guaranteed money after this season.

Retirement isn't all that Smoke smells of.

It's too bad, because I always thought that he played well before this year. He just hasn't brought the same level of play for the Habs this season, and that's what draws my ire.

Thank God he's only signed for 1 yr

1 yr / 2 M / NTC is our worse contract.. not bad management they're, all things considered

Retirement isn't all that Smoke smells of.

It's too bad, because I always thought that he played well before this year. He just hasn't brought the same level of play for the Habs this season, and that's what draws my ire.

It is really disgraceful his play all things considered, he does not care at all. Gainey and Carbo are really being too generous to him considering he is barely even fullfilling the terms of his contract. He's the kind of loser that gives euros a bad rap compared to Canadian vets like Andreychuk who played extra hard to go out in a blaze of glory (WHich is what I think Briesbois is trying to do with his beloved CH, he is just too hopeless a player to make much of a difference though no matter how hard he tries).

Talking about Brisebois...at least he isn'T complaining about his playing time. He's taking it like a man and isn't being a distraction in the dressing room!

He's the kind of loser that gives euros a bad rap

I tought Smolinkski was from Ohio,USA?

I would have to believe that Smolinski is from North America. I think it's just his floating that makes him look like the old typical European. Except for the fact that 'floating Euro's' usually have some decent skills to contribute on the offensive end.

All-in-all Smokes of this year is just a complete waste of space taking up a useful roster space. Can't wait til he is done!

Guys, before cutting him to shreds he is a veteran presence which should count for something. Yes his game is not all that great but he is now just a depth bench player like Brisbois should be. You never know when he might break out and actually have a good game.

Well, by that logic any player over the age of 35 could be considered useful.

It's too bad that Smolinski has been so subpar, I actually remembered him being a pretty good centre for the Senators...but it's not really a big deal, he plays a limited role anyway.

Well, by that logic any player over the age of 35 could be considered useful.

It's too bad that Smolinski has been so subpar, I actually remembered him being a pretty good centre for the Senators...but it's not really a big deal, he plays a limited role anyway.

YUP, every player over 35 has seen enough pucks and has experience. I just like to add a little spice to this thread as everyone dumping on the guy. I am older than most here and should stick up for the elderly!! ^_^:hockey:

Guys, before cutting him to shreds he is a veteran presence which should count for something. Yes his game is not all that great but he is now just a depth bench player like Brisbois should be. when You know he never might break out and actually have a good game.

corrected for you ^_^

It is really disgraceful his play all things considered, he does not care at all. Gainey and Carbo are really being too generous to him considering he is barely even fullfilling the terms of his contract. He's the kind of loser that gives euros a bad rap compared to Canadian vets like Andreychuk who played extra hard to go out in a blaze of glory (WHich is what I think Briesbois is trying to do with his beloved CH, he is just too hopeless a player to make much of a difference though no matter how hard he tries).

He isn't even European. His play is bad, yes, but disgraceful? He's a good guy, a character guy. How can a player like that ever be disgraceful? The only disgraces I can think of in the past few years have been Ribeiro and possibly Theodore in his final year here - arguably Samsonov too, I guess.