We've arrived-but there's two questions to be answered

REV-G

With about 12 games remaining I think we can say, that for this year, we've arrived. We've broken through and are no longer out of the playoffs or fighting for the last spot. We have a very good team. After almost a full season we're in 1st place in our conference, for today at least. We have one of the youngest teams in the league with some great young players. We're in or else fighting for top spot in our division and we have the best power play in the league. We're either 1st or 2nd for goals scored, depending on the day, and up there with the best teams in the league.

But I think there are two key questions about how far we can go in the play-offs. The first question is about injuries. Can we finish the regular season and go through the playoffs without losing anyone key. And of we do lose somone do we have the depth to hanlde it? If we can, I think we have the team that can beat anyone in our conference. The second key question is goaltending. Can Carey Price, being as young as he is, continue to stay sharp and play as consistently through the playoffs as he has the past month or so. And if Halak plays can he handle the pressure of the playoffs and win?

I think the answers to these two questions will be the keys for how far we go this year. If those two areas hold up, we could be playing for the Stanley cup.

Maybe it is because of the propoganda that fans of other teams have spread to me, but I am interested to see how this team plays in the playoffs when there is supposedly a bigger emphasis on size. Personally, i don't think anyone in the east poses much of a problem for the Habs in a physical sense, but a lot of my buddies seem to think this so we'll see what happens.

Another thing to consider is whether our scoring continues even with a decreased amount of penalties in the postseason. Obviously we are a team that relies on our PP, and we'll have our chances in the post-season, but the 5 on 5 play might have to improve even more in the playoffs (i think we are around even for the season).

I can answer the Price question....yes, I think he can stay sharp....since more pressure has been put on his shoulders he has stepped up to the challenge...with the added pressure this kid will step it up again. The kid eats pressure for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it seems that when the hopes of many rest on his shoulders he steps his game up to yet another level.

This was evident last season when I went to see him play his first game in Hamilton(his first PRO game) he looked good, not amazing but good. I also went to one game every playoff series and the kid evolved every series the teamk went into the playoffs....the Carey Price that downed the Americans in round one of the Calder Cup playoffs was not the same Price that Beat Hershey for the title...and that Price is not the same Price that I saw Handle the Buffalo Sabres in the 6-2 win of Febuary 29th. I really think that Price deserves a 10.0C on Hockeysfuture.com. He is going to be a number 1 guy so a 7.0 rating is not even in his sites....but I think if he continues to develop like this and all his tools come together and he learns to focus "every game" he could be Roy 2.0 wiothout the unhappy ending!

Losing Kovalev in or prior to the playoffs for a significant period of time would kill our chances of going all the way. There are other players the team can't do without, but Kovalev is by far our constant offensive force this season. (losing Markov, Hamrlik, Plekanec, & Koivu would just about crush our chances as well).

Price will be fine, potentially better than fine.

Maybe it is because of the propoganda that fans of other teams have spread to me, but I am interested to see how this team plays in the playoffs when there is supposedly a bigger emphasis on size. Personally, i don't think anyone in the east poses much of a problem for the Habs in a physical sense, but a lot of my buddies seem to think this so we'll see what happens.

Another thing to consider is whether our scoring continues even with a decreased amount of penalties in the postseason. Obviously we are a team that relies on our PP, and we'll have our chances in the post-season, but the 5 on 5 play might have to improve even more in the playoffs (i think we are around even for the season).

Habs fan buddies? or Leaf fan buddies?

Because Montreal has decimated the teams in the East that have tried to bully them with their PP.

Montreal has just as good a chance to make the Finals as any team in the East, but they also have

the same chance as everybody else to be bounced in the first round.

Good thread!

I would add a more general question: how much of our emergence is really due to the renewal of Kovalev? Since Kovalev is 34 years old and notoriously changeable, this is a question of some importance. What happens to our 'great young team' if he decides to revert to his old moody ways next season, or if his aging body starts to break down, or even if he doesn't re-sign with us as a UFA after 2009?

In more specific terms: I'm not too worried about team toughness, although they did look intimidated by Anaheim. It might be better to say that I don't see this as an issue in our Conference (unless we play the Philly Headhunters). It may become in issue if and when we reach the Finals. I am mildly worried about what will happen when the refs put their whistles in their pocket and our overwhelming speed (the Devils did not know what hit them!) is partly neutralized by ridiculous waves of old-school clutching and grabbing. It'll be a good test to see if guys like the elder Kostytsin or Pleks or even Higgins can bull their way through all of that.

Price has something no goalie in Montreal has had since Theo's monster season: the power to intimidate. Something about Price's combination of size and poise radiates a sense that if he's on his game, we're not gonna lose. You really saw it during that Devils game. This leads me to think he WON'T be our playoff problem. Quite the reverse, I should think.

We've definitely been fortunate on the injury front that has decimated a lot of other good teams. On the other hand the team has been built on youthful players and non-fragile vets who are less injury prone than others which reduces our chances. An injury to a key defenceman or Kovalev/Koivu would be trouble, but then again its something that few teams can weather (Anaheim without Scotty?? Buh-bye)

The great thing about having quality depth in your farm means that if one of your key players goes down; you've got a talented kid thrust in the replacement role.

Ryder sucked almost all season... who took his place? Sergei Kostitsyn.

Smolinski didn't delivered the goods. Who took leaped over him? Lapierre.

Brisebois/Dandeneault weren't good enough to be regular defensively? No problem, Gorges & O'Byrne are there.

So say Plex or Koivu goes down to injuries, then Grabs or Chipchura gets a chance. Kovy hurt? Then maybe D'Agostini gets a call up. An injury on defense? We've got Valentenko or Carle who can come in.

The X factor is that most of those kids won last year in the AHL. They know what pressure is.

trhere is a double edge sword in your post.

Yes the Habs rely on the PP right now, to some extent, but if they were last in the NHL in PP % then the scoring would have to come from somewhere else. Scoring on your opportunities doesn't mean you rely on it. It isn't as though the Canadiens get shut out if they don't score on the PP.

To complicate it more for you, if teams take less penalties in the postseason then that also works against them and benefits the Habs 5 on 5 play.

For example, If players are more worried about taking penalties and refrain from the infraction, it should allow the Canadiens players more access to scoring chances without being hooked/tripped/interfered with etc etc.

The only potential problem is how the games are officiated. If they let the hooking, tripping etc etc go uncalled then it impedes everything.

Yes, we could be in the final. Having said that and regardless of what has delivered us to this point, I will still watch every series with worry. With youth comes some inexperience. That's probably why Dandenault, Brisebois, Smolinski and some others play for the Habs in spite of how fans regard them or their play. Vet insurance might just save us. Of course there's Koivu, Kovalev and Markov to help the kids. Higgins, Komisarek and Ryder have been around the block. Hamrlik is a vet. Good balance.

But anything can happen in the playoffs.

Yes, we could be in the final. I hope :hlogo:

GO HABS GO

There is a double edge sword in your post.

Yes the Habs rely on the PP right now, to some extent, but if they were last in the NHL in PP % then the scoring would have to come from somewhere else. Scoring on your opportunities doesn't mean you rely on it. It isn't as though the Canadiens get shut out if they don't score on the PP.

The only potential problem is how the games are officiated. If they let the hooking, tripping etc etc go uncalled then it impedes everything.

That's the kicker. The refs largely let teams enforce themselves come playoffs, although there's always a slight resurgence at the beginning (just like at the beginning of each season too). These playoffs will see Komisarek (6'4) and O'Byrne (6'5) forced to step up for the team, to take on players who take runs at Kovaley of Plex or Koivu. It's not a good sign that our third tallest player ... is our goalie (6'3). I don't feel comfortable watching Kostopolous and Bouillion being relied upon to dole out the hits (especially with Begin constantly tweaking shoulders or groins).

So unless we can play above the physical play, the clutching and grabbing, we'll be lucky to make it out of the first round, let alone successive ones. And heaven help us if we have to play any of the hard-hitting West teams (Anaheim, Calgary, and Dallas & SJ to a lesser extent), but I'll be happy to get that far.

I think the Habs have nothing to worry about in Nets and their offence is tops in the league...so we're fine in that department as well. Where we need to imrpove is our PK and the number of shots the Habs give up in a game. 5 games in row the habs have given up more than 37 shots...you can't keep going like this and expect to make it far!

Tomorrow we will see if we can get the win. Price wants redemption.

I just hope the other 20 players for the habs will want revenge as well for the thumping the hens gave them a few weeks ago!

Habs fan buddies? or Leaf fan buddies?

Because Montreal has decimated the teams in the East that have tried to bully them with their PP.

Montreal has just as good a chance to make the Finals as any team in the East, but they also have

the same chance as everybody else to be bounced in the first round.

Leafs, Sens, even a Devils fan. I'm not saying i believe them, it would just be my number one concern right now.

No team is without it's flaws, i tend to like ours better than the one's that Ottawa and Pittsburgh have (in net).

Leafs, Sens, even a Devils fan. I'm not saying i believe them, it would just be my number one concern right now.

No team is without it's flaws, i tend to like ours better than the one's that Ottawa and Pittsburgh have (in net).

I know they have flaws, just don't think it is team toughness. But somebody who doesn't

follow them cannot really understand the makeup of the team.

I am worried about the penalty kill, a shutdown line and the second line scoring more than

I am about team toughness.

I'm not worried about toughness, im worried about size. I know our players are tough, but in my opnion our size is our biggest flaw.

Maybe in the Cup Finals, Our D is fairly large with the addition of O'Byrne.

Komi, O'Byrne and Hamrlik are huge and Markov is 6'0" 200 lbs.

In the East outside of Chara there is no punishing physical defence,

so I am not concerned about the forwards.

The west, now that is another story, but I don't think your friends are referring to the Cup Finals.

Honestly, a shut down line is the gaping hole in this team. This is the cause of our poor penalty kill as well. Last year we were good defensively, with an elite penalty kill. We had Bonk and Johnson start each penalty kill, nowadays it's usually Kovalev and Plekanec. They're pretty good, but it says a lot about our bottom lines that we have our top two offensive players start our penalty kills.

Smolinksi and Kostopolous just don't cut it. We don't have a line of forwards that will match up against the other team's top line and punish them physically while frustrating them offensively. If we did we'd be an elite team.

Honestly, a shut down line is the gaping hole in this team. This is the cause of our poor penalty kill as well. Last year we were good defensively, with an elite penalty kill. We had Bonk and Johnson start each penalty kill, nowadays it's usually Kovalev and Plekanec. They're pretty good, but it says a lot about our bottom lines that we have our top two offensive players start our penalty kills.

Smolinksi and Kostopolous just don't cut it. We don't have a line of forwards that will match up against the other team's top line and punish them physically while frustrating them offensively. If we did we'd be an elite team.

Well, maybe they give Chips a shot at it in the playoffs. Can't be any worse

than what we have going on right now. The habs are already knee deep in youth,

what is one more?

Well, maybe they give Chips a shot at it in the playoffs. Can't be any worse

than what we have going on right now. The habs are already knee deep in youth,

what is one more?

Chips is an upgrade over our current bottom-liners, but he's not the physical presence that we need, or the faceoff winner.

Chips is an upgrade over our current bottom-liners, but he's not the physical presence that we need, or the faceoff winner.

Yeah, he is not a finished product but he can handle big physical centers better than what is in Montreal,

and it would be a great learning experience. I imagine that is the future role for him, so why not see if he

can surprise. Nobody expected Lil TlTs could do what he is doing, nor Price or O'Byrne.

Can't hurt as far as I am concerned. A large physical checking centre is not coming from anywhere else

I'm not clear on the 2 questions to be answered.

This is a very very young team that has excelled.

And this is a very very talented team.

Are we supposed to predict how healthy they will be?

Or, how they might perform in the playoffs?

Do we need a shutdown line when we already have, by far, the best shutdown pairing in the East? Stick them with Lapierre's line and that's your best hance of shutting down superstars.

The major flaw is secondary scoring. Other teams are going to target Kovalev and stick checkers all over him. That leaves Koivu and Grabovski's lines open and so far, they haven't been able to play well unless Kovalev's line is also going. If the scoring is spread around, then he will become a new team. Right now we are seen as a one-man team and in a lot of games, that's exactly what we are.

Do we need a shutdown line when we already have, by far, the best shutdown pairing in the East? Stick them with Lapierre's line and that's your best hance of shutting down superstars.

The major flaw is secondary scoring. Other teams are going to target Kovalev and stick checkers all over him. That leaves Koivu and Grabovski's lines open and so far, they haven't been able to play well unless Kovalev's line is also going. If the scoring is spread around, then he will become a new team. Right now we are seen as a one-man team and in a lot of games, that's exactly what we are.

Markov and Komisarek may be the best shutdown pairing in the east, I'm not sure about that though. But two guys isn't enough to take on a top line, you need good defensive forwards. New Jersey might not have an elite shutdown pairing, but they have great defensive forwards (and Brodeur of course). In last year's final, the stifling of Ottawa's top line can be attributed to Pahlsson's line as much as the defensive corps.

As for secondary scoring, it's an issue for us, but not the major one in my opinion. I actually think we have one of the most balanced attacks in the league, and we have young forward who can fill that sort of role in the future. 149 of our 227 goals came from players not on our top line (roughly two thirds).