Goodbye Yann Danis

JLP

Not really a surprise here but there goes a good young asset, maybe calling Gainey's no-signing-during-the season style into question? Huet-Danis would be a decent goaltending duo, and we let them go for the grand total of a 2nd. Comments?

Dannis is a victim of timing more then talent.

He looked good when he was up but Halak and Price were better. Good decision by the Habs, Desjardins needs time at the AHL level just to see if he has what it takes to play in the NHL.

I can see him signing with the Isles this summer.

Not really a surprise here but there goes a good young asset, maybe calling Gainey's no-signing-during-the season style into question? Huet-Danis would be a decent goaltending duo, and we let them go for the grand total of a 2nd. Comments?

if bryzgalov = waivers and huet = 2nd round in 2009, then what is the fair market trade value for Danis?

we did pretty well with Garon . . .

we were Lucky on the Garon trade. huet was a shoot in and Gainey confessed that he didn't know squat about him.

Bonk did ok but not enough. he only had one average season and the first one was subpar.

I hate Gainey's supposed "no-signing-during-the-regular-season" policy, if there is such a policy. But I don't think this is an example of it biting us on the ass. Would Danis have been likely to sign with us anyway, given that he was a distant third behind Price and Halak and had clearly been given up on by management? As for trading him, we'd have been lucky to get more than future considerations for him anyway. The Garon example is apples and oranges, because Garon had established himself as a quality backstop and a legitimate threat to become a good #1. And even then, that trade was an outright fleecing by Gainey - a fairly rare commodity in the NHL nowadays. So it's the exception that proves the rule.

Good luck Yann, I never had any problems with ya :hockey:

Seriously, what does Gainey's reluctance to negotiate midseason have anything to do with Yann Danis? AHLers who have little to no shot of making the NHL team the next season aren't the type of guys you negotiate with during the season. Plus, Yann has no reason to resign with Montreal. He's clearly the #3 goalie, on top of the fact that many think the Habs could bring a veteran to help further Price's development. If Danis has any confidence in himself at all, then he wants to be somewhere that will give him a chance to be in the NHL. Barring injury, that simply wasn't gonna happen in Montreal.

Seriously, what does Gainey's reluctance to negotiate midseason have anything to do with Yann Danis? AHLers who have little to no shot of making the NHL team the next season aren't the type of guys you negotiate with during the season. Plus, Yann has no reason to resign with Montreal. He's clearly the #3 goalie, on top of the fact that many think the Habs could bring a veteran to help further Price's development. If Danis has any confidence in himself at all, then he wants to be somewhere that will give him a chance to be in the NHL. Barring injury, that simply wasn't gonna happen in Montreal.

As usual you make sense. It is easy to cheer for Danis as a Habs fan, when he is gone nobody here will shed a tear....

As usual you make sense. It is easy to cheer for Danis as a Habs fan, when he is gone nobody here will shed a tear....

Maybe, but he would have been a cheap platoon option opposite Desjardins and he's better, and cheaper, then many 3rd options playing at the AHL level...something the Habs will now need. I am pretty sure the Habs will want at least one decent goalie in the AHL in case the young goalies struggle and/or get injured...it seems like a foregone conclusion to me that the Habs will sign a veteran fringe goalie to help out in Hamilton.

I wouldn't go that far, I always liked the guy and hoped he would get more of a chance in Montreal. I'm disappointed he's going, but I'm certainly not surprised.

It is apparent to many on here that Danis is a fan favourite. I think he is an OK goalie that will be replaced by someone in free Agency. A veteran goalie paired with Desjardins will be the tandem. If Danis had a stellar year then yes I think Gainey would have tried to sign him.

My comment about shedding a tear is in not to say I hate the guy; just a thought that by the time the AHL starts next season I will have moved on. I know some wont agree and that is their right to state a differing thought.

ya hit the nail right on the head, he is a good goalie but not #1 material at this point. It is nice to have him in the minors JUST IN CASE, but I know he wants to move on and there should be no hard feelings on either side. btw I don't really think any club worries about ahl talent signing during the season. :hlogo:

Edited by habs rule

I always liked Yann, and I hope he finds a job elsewhere. I always had tremendous respect for him stepping in to help out Carey during last year's Calder Cup run, and not saying anything when he got benched again.

14 replies for Yann Danis? WOW

Just goes to show...a month after elimination and we're starved for hockey talk :lol:

That's one of the things about the Internet. Hockey is now a 12-months-per-year thing. There's always some kind of new info or rumour coming out, and some opinions flying around about it. Wait until draft day + UFA frenzy!! :rolleyes:

14 replies for Yann Danis? WOW

I always thought he deserved a better shot over the past couple seasons. In fact, I think he has enough talent to be an NHL regular possibly could develop into a good platoon role.

I think we all knew this would happen. Hope he goes somewhere that he can play more often another AHL team I figure.

Thank you so much for your time and effort and best of luck to you, try Boston, they seem, to rotate between the pipes alot!

Think I should lose the avatar yet? LOL

Edited by johnnyhasbeen