Who would you make captain if Koivu left?

Guy10

Hmm... In my perfect world... Zednik would get it.... lol... but I don't think he would b best for the job...

Brisebois definitly has a shot... lol, all his boo-birds would sure love that... umm

Craig Rivet... He should definitly get it though... in my mind, he is the best guy for it left on the team.

Brisebois and Rivet aren't exactly fan favorites, but they would definitely be the C candidates if anything were to happen to Koivu.

Brisebois has been with the team since '93, the only player on the team to win a Cup with the Habs.

Rivet, now that Quintal is gone, is the only guy who consistently stands up for his teammates.

Begin may be another candidate. He always is out there giving 100%, leading by example.

Begin came in last year. Not ready to lead a team after only one year.

The natural thing to do is to give the job to one of the A's.

Rivet or Brisebois. But I could also see Francis Bouillon.

He played in more games last season than the most others, he is a local kid and has always been there for the team.

But after all, there's only one true captain on this team. Saku Koivu

Before last year's playoffs, I would have said Souray hands down. But after he openly criticized Kovy for his blunder in the media, I have to rethink it....

But throughout the season, Souray has said the right things at the right time and showed leadership through the media. I think the players respect him and his comeback and he would be a great choice.

Souray is THE only potential candidate among the regulars at present.

Then again he'd have to return to his first half form, and stay healthy for a change... we've had enough experience with having our C on the IR already.

Rivet suck too badly to be an effective captain, even the A is too much of an honor to give that waste of space.

Ditto Breezer, the A is already too much.

Nobody on offense is good/senior enough... Zednik/Bulis have no leadership skills whatsoever, Ribs/Ryder too young, the rest no good enough to even consider.

Begin would be the only possible one, and that would be pushing it... an A for him definitely though IMO.

In the future, we have Komisarek, Higgins, & Chipchura... there are our C's & A's going forward IMO.

Originally posted by Habs77

Souray is THE only potential candidate among the regulars at present.

Then again he'd have to return to his first half form, and stay healthy for a change... we've had enough experience with having our C on the IR already.

Rivet suck too badly to be an effective captain, even the A is too much of an honor to give that waste of space.

Ditto Breezer, the A is already too much.

Nobody on offense is good/senior enough... Zednik/Bulis have no leadership skills whatsoever, Ribs/Ryder too young, the rest no good enough to even consider.

Begin would be the only possible one, and that would be pushing it... an A for him definitely though IMO.

In the future, we have Komisarek, Higgins, & Chipchura... there are our C's & A's going forward IMO.

ya, exactly my thought, i choose breezer because he's been in the team for a long time, or else i totally agree with you

I think due to the lack of a true Captain on the team, Montreal should go to a rotating captaincy. Players can work hard and earn a spot as captain for a month.

Do it for a year and see who shines as a captain, then pick a permanent guy for 2005-06

I think the future leaders on this team will be Chris Higgins, Corey Locke, and Kyle Chipchura. Higgins is said to be a born captain, Locke is a hard-working guy and a good character in the dressing room, and Chipchura has all the leadership tools a coach could ever ask for.

I think Souray would make a good Captain!

I think if there would be another C, the most chance would be a Defenceman of montreal. Don't see a leader behind koivu in the attack.

(Is Bonk a leader type??Not 2 become C immeadiately, he's just 2 short with the team, but just wanna know)

Souray would be MY CHOICE. But I think if Koivu retired today that Rivet would take over as the captain (because he's already an "A" and he's buddies with Koivu etc.)

For future captains.... Its between Komisarek, Higgins, and Chipchura. The habs sure do have lots of young leaders within the organization, its great to see.

Hmm... In my perfect world... Zednik would get it.... lol... but I don't think he would b best for the job...  

In a perfect world, the Habs would convince Kirk Muller out of retirement. He'd come back, as great as ever, and knock down 37 goals just like in 93 and lead us to the Cup.

Captain Kirk!

I thought Rivet, but I'm not sure if he's the one I'd feel real confidence in to lead the team.

The way he "f-ed" up the playoffs? No way. That leads your team to doom.

I realize that a Captain doesn't have to be the best player on the team, but he should at least be consistent throughout the season and won't hurt his team.

This isn't Rivet.

But throughout the season, Souray has said the right things at the right time and showed leadership through the media. I think the players respect him and his comeback and he would be a great choice.

Souray is a definite choice. He'll stick up for teammates (he fights quite well...), he also has the determination as we saw after he came back from injury and became as great as ever.

However, as mentioned before in this thread, Souray is always injured. It won't be good if the Captain is always sitting in the press box nursing his wrist or knee.

For those of you who suggested Begin, you can't be serious.

The guy is fairly new to the team plus he's not that great of a player. The only real reason he was even mentioned was because he played with a badly injured mouth and after losing a lot of front teeth. Okay, so this shows he has heart, but the fact remains - he can't check properly. You can't just skate full speed into an opposing player and expect them to not move away or duck. He injured himself due to an overzealous play.

The best and most obvious candidate would be Patrice Brisebois. And if Saku were to suddenly leave, he'd likely get the "C". Or at least I hope, since Rivet isn't fit for the job.

[Edited on 2004/7/28 by Ribeiro]

Rivet never went to Paris... I really cannot see the team giving Briser the C... the fans would have a field trip... plus i dont kno how stable he is, It would probably either make him go krazy, or, turn him FINALLY into a great player that he should b with all that expericence.

I forgot about Souray for some krazy reason, I think he would definitly make a great pick.

I would prefer Souray to Rivet or Brisebois, but none are really captain quality.

I'd run with the youth movement, and either rotate it (like Minnesota et al) or give it to Ryder.

For the meantime, Koivu is our only choice. However, once Higgins or Komisarek or Chipchura mature enough to step into the spotlight and excel, I will welcome the new captain with open arms.

Originally posted by Ribeiro

For those of you who suggested Begin, you can't be serious.  

I am quite serious. He has now been with the team for a full season, so he knows his teammates. Like we all know, the captain isn't always the best player on the team. Begin is a guy who is out there every night giving it his all. I felt this way well before he came back in the playoffs after checking the boards with his face. He is a fine 3rd liner who leads by example. I always want my captain to be someone who shows up to play for every game and give it his all.

By the way, what about Markhov? Isn't he often one of the A's when Briser or Rivet is out?

[Edited on 7-28-04 by Fanpuck33]

Markov doesn't seem like a natural Captain. He's emotional and doesn't like to play without another Russian on his team. Plus, his previous "problems" with the administration before his 15-goal breakout season would seriously make them think twice.

I still say we'd go to rotating captaincy until someone proves that they deserve it.

Right now Souray deserves an A but not the C...he's probably the next closest thing to a captain we have though. Rivet is just Koivu's yes man...lol.

In 2-3 years I can see Komisarek displaying the ability to be a captain...same with Higgins. Obviously both are too young and inexperienced right now...

Why not do it like some soccerteams do.. Goalie!!! Theo as camptain? I mean... it sounds like all others doesnt fit so why not? He is our most important player, He has showed that he is great.