100 Seasons of Glory, Tradition & Excellence

sakiqc

T.C. just posted a phenomenal article for the Habs 100th.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1702

Even for a die hard Habs fan like myself, I learned very interesting things in that article (like the part about Tex Rickard) and there were some very nice gems. Very difficult to write a relatively short article covering so many years and events. Kudos to T.C.. Very good job and very good read !! :clap:

I like the parts about the French-English solitudes; the West-East cold war. How the article shows the spirit of excellence and devotion surrounding the team. How the article links the past with the present. How it shows that the Montreal Canadiens is a world class team and play its part to unify people from many nations. One of my favorite part:

A generation ago, little was known about the men who stood on the blueline at the Montreal Forum in the red and white of the Soviet Union. Today, Kovalev, a symbol of the next generation, stands wearing the famous Habs jersey, an inheritor of not only the great Russian hockey legacy but also of the proud tradition of the Canadiens.

It would be great to have that article translated in as many languages as possible. This article is a great short recap about the Habs rich history and a great article for people to learn about the Habs. If anyone wants to volunteer to translate the article in another language, let me know m.gauthier@habsworld.net

tllxu0.png

This is sort of related to the Centenaire. Here is the new guys courtesy of habsinsideout photos.

Note that Tangs is sporting the number 13! :)

Let's hope it'll be a lucky 13 for Tanguay!!! :clap:

Yeah and if you want it in dutch, give me a yell ;)

I'm probably the only one, well including Nick that will reads it then, haha.

But do it! If HW can host the article in say a dozen languages that would be super, and true to the spirit of the site.

But do it! If HW can host the article in say a dozen languages that would be super, and true to the spirit of the site.

Arrrgghhh....

Your gonna make me translate it into Greek now aren't you?

Hopefully my boy Kostopoulos knows how to read his mother tongue... :wacko:

I can translate it to the " southern californa white girl " languge ... here's a taste.

Like 100 years ago ... um this team called the Canadiens ( haha it's totally misspelled ) ... um so yeah this team is like old and like they've won alot of things and had alot of really cool players that like totally kick butt and stuff.

^_^

Let's hope it'll be a lucky 13 for Tanguay!!! :clap:

There's an article about it on Cyberpresse: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20080919...mpaign=CANADIEN

#13 hasnt been worn in 87 years (and 87+13=100!). Last season was 21-22, and 2 years later the Habs were winning their first Cup in the NHL.

So maybe the #13 will act as some sort of reset button and start a new cycle for the Habs.

Maybe the fact that they will finally bury the hatchet with King Patrick will encourage the Forum Ghosts to finally move to the Bell Centre. I know that i've missed the old ghosts...especially in the past 10 years! We need them! ;)

St-Patrick's curse might finally be over!?!?!

Go to RDS.ca and you can watch the unveiling of the 100 year celebrations for the Habs. They just unveiled the new jumbotron. It will be the biggest in the NHL! The Screen alone will measure 25' X 40'. It's gonna be huge!(5 times larger than the current one in the Bell centre)

They also plan on selling a DVD set of the most important moments in the Franchises history as well as another DVD set with everything you might want to know about the teams history, it's buildings, it's rivalries etc.etc.etc.

Well it's over now, but they unveiled the 4 different jersey's the Habs will wear this season as well as 2 more in the 09-10 season. They also unveiled the 2 jersey's that will be worn by the eastern and western teams at this years All-Star Game.

I get the feeling I'll be spending a shi.tload of money this year on Habs merchandise! :clap:;):clap: :hlogo:

Edited by Habsfan

From RDS.ca.

Sorry guys it's only available in French, but my guess is that TSN.ca will have an english version in a couple of hours.

Un centenaire bien rempli

Mercredi 24 septembre 2008

RDS.ca

Quelques activités spéciales et le lancement de plusieurs articles de collection marqueront le centenaire du Canadien de Montréal.

Les célébrations se prolongeront jusqu'au 4 décembre 2009, date de la formation de l'équipe. L'équipe disputera alors un match qui sera marqué par une importante cérémonie digne de la fermeture du vénéral Forum de Montréal. Ceux qui rêvaient de voir un match au Stade olympique resteront sur leur apétit.

Un tout nouveau tableau indicateur en haute définition accueillera les partisans au Centre Bell.

La Fondation pour l'enfance du Canadien financera la construction d'une patinoire extérieure au parc François-Perreault dans le quartier St-Michel.

Le Canadien aura aussi son propre temple de la renommée. Il sera situé au Centre Bell.

L'Orchestre symphonique de Montréal sera également impliqué dans les célébrations avec un concert.

On retrouvera aussi l'équipe de rêve du Canadien en jeu vidéo. Il y a aura un livre sur le centenaire de l'équipe. Un jeu monopoly du centenaire sera aussi mis en marché. Six pièces de monnaie seront mises en marché par la Monnaie royale canadienne. Dix millions de pièces d'un dollar à l'effigie du Canadien seront mis en marché.

Un timbre avec le logo du Canadien sera mis en circulation en collaboration avec Postes Canada.

On savait déjà qu'il y aurait l'inauguration d'un anneau rendant hommage aux grands joueurs de l'équipe depuis le début de son histoire.

L'équipe portera aussi les différents chandails à travers les ans durant la saison.

Les anciens entraîneurs seront honorés et un dvd des dix plus grands matchs de l'histoire de l'équipe sera mis en circulation.

Un site internet sur l'histoire du club sera aussi mis en ligne.

L'équipe rendra aussi hommage à ses vieux adversaires en honorant cette saison les Rangers de New York et les Maple Leafs de Toronto.

Il y aura aussi inauguration de La Place du Centenaire près du Centre Bell.

En décembre 2009, un film fiction sera présenté sur les grands écrans.

On savait déjà que le 22 novembre prochain, le numéro 33 de Patrick Roy sera retiré. Il y a aura aussi la présentation du match des étoiles et du repêchage annuel.

The phrase I put in bold says that the Canadian gov't will put 10 million 1$ looneys on the market with a Habs logo on it! Nice! What a wonderful way to piss off Leaves fans!

I get the feeling I'll be spending a shi.tload of money this year on Habs merchandise! :clap:;):clap: :hlogo:

Me too. Does anyone know if/when the vintage jerseys will be available for purchase? I'm presuming that they'll be the new jersey material.

From the Montreal Gazette. Sorry, I don'T have the link!

Last night at ice level of the Bell Centre, 700 of the team's corporate sponsors, loge tenants and high-rolling fans wined, dined and watched 100 years of Canadiens' history on the team's shiny new toy.

You think your flat screen is cool?

This HDTV monster has a 510-square-foot viewing area - five times larger than its Bell Centre predecessor.

Centennial celebrations end on Dec. 4, 2009, the 100th anniversary of the team's first game.

Highlights of the 14-month celebration include:

- A Montreal Canadiens edition of Monopoly.

- Publication of Honoured Canadiens, a book on the team's 44 players and 10 builders in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

- A Canadiens Hall of Fame in the Bell Centre.

- Three DVD box sets, including a collection of the Canadiens' 10 greatest games.

- Six commemorative coins from the Canadian mint, plus the issue of 10 million loonies bearing the team's logo.

- The Launch of Centennial Plaza, with plaques and statues honouring Canadiens' immortals plus 20,000 bricks purchased by fans.

- The NHL All-Star game, at the Bell Centre in January, and the league's amateur draft to be held there in June.

- Retirement of Patrick Roy's No. 33 and a night honouring three great coaches: Dick Irvin, Toe Blake and Scotty Bowman.

- Opening of a $500,000, state-of-the-art outdoor hockey rink in the St. Michel district, a gift to the community from the Canadiens Children's Foundation, which will finance similar projects for the next five years.

- A centennial website.

- A Bell Centre performance of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony by the Montreal Symphony Orchestra.

- Eight Centennial Jersey Nights on which the team will wear vintage sweaters.

- A Canada Post stamp marking the team's centennial.

- Launch of the movie Pour toujours, les Canadiens, a family drama focused on the team and its fans.

"The centennial season is something you'll want to remember for the rest of your life," said Canadiens star Alex Kovalev. Along with Saku Koivu, Steve Bégin, Patrice Brisebois, Mathieu Dandenault, Roman Hamrlik and Andrei Kostitsyn, Kovalev modelled a vintage jersey that undoubtedly will be jumping off the racks of the Canadiens' souvenir shop.

I think i'm gonna try and get tickets for the Coaches night(hoping that Scotty wil be there) as well as St-Patrick's night!

I heard on the radio this morning that the Habs will build 5 more rinks around Montreal over the next 5 years. Talk about a nice gift for these communities. The First one is in the St-Michel district which is a tough neighborhood. This will allow the kids to stay away from gangs in the winter months! WHat a great initiative by the Habs!

Edited by Habsfan

I just read in the Journal de Montréal, that the Siren that marks the end of each period is the same siren that used to be in the old Forum. I did not know that!

I just read in the Journal de Montréal, that the Siren that marks the end of each period is the same siren that used to be in the old Forum. I did not know that!

Nice touch.

Anybody know if we have a new goal song??