Habs books

BCHabnut

I thought it might be a neat idea to start a thread with critique on some of the Habs, or hockey books we have read in the past.

My wife just bought me "The Montreal Canadiens. 100 Years of Glory:" By D'arcy Jenish for Christmas.

I read this book in a day and a half. It is the condensed history of the Canadiens. It was a great read. He didn't leave out all the quirks and negatives of the Habs' history. He really seemed to do his research. I thought it was a great read.

Feel free to add more titles, because if I can find more books of this calibre, I would gladly order them.

THE Habs books of Habs books are:

-The Game, by Ken Dryden

-The Habs, by Dick Irvin

The latter is an oral history - basically, interviews with people who played for and against the great Habs' teams of the 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond. It's endlessly fascinating.

The former is a sustained study of the 1979 Canadiens - the last Dynasty on its last legs, like a mighty, wounded lion. It mixes character studies with Dryden's various ruminations on hockey and detailed accounts of specific games. Also awesome.

Strengh Down Centre: The Jean Beliveau Story (Almost done reading it)

My Life in Hockey (Jean Beliveau) Got it in 2005 for Christmas (sister-in-law) stood in line to get it autographed from Jean...................still haven't read it.

THE Habs books of Habs books are:

-The Game, by Ken Dryden

-The Habs, by Dick Irvin

The latter is an oral history - basically, interviews with people who played for and against the great Habs' teams of the 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond. It's endlessly fascinating.

The former is a sustained study of the 1979 Canadiens - the last Dynasty on its last legs, like a mighty, wounded lion. It mixes character studies with Dryden's various ruminations on hockey and detailed accounts of specific games. Also awesome.

The Game is a great book. Hard to top.

Honoured Canadiens. Has a bio of every great Habs player in history that you can think of (and a couple you can't).

I have this book signed by Cournoyer. ;)

I just got this book for Christmas. Looks very good.

I got Le Canadien: Un siècle de hockey à LaPresse. didn't have the time to read it but it looks cool with all the articles of the 20s 30s 40s...