Habs @ Canucks | Game Thread

Fanpuck33

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes of effort max. After they get down, they give up.

I watched the 'Nucks feed and they said the exact opposite. No quit in the Habs. They may not have been executing well, but they were still working. It's what I saw in the third as well. *shrugs*

Well, I had the misfortune of being there. I saw a Habs team that at least played decently for certain stretches of time (signs of life, then), but:

1. Lost way, way, way too many one-on-one battles, in all three zones. Ridiculous.

2. Could not connect on passes to save its life, in all three zones. Ridiculous.

The former problem is more disturbing than the latter, and it would be my major point of emphasis if I were the coach. Win the battle, then worry about making the play.

Koz, Carbo is trying to get Andrei to step up, he keeps on saying that he's got one of the best shots in the NHL and then he's asking him to shoot as much as possible (which he does; Kosty's one of the only Habs who'll fire from anywhere).

Rightfully so. AKost is one of rare (almost lonely) forwards who plays like he actually wants the puck to shoot it. (The other one would be Dago) Except when AKost is on a line with Kovy, then he'll try to feed the vet to impress him and get his approval. Same thing with Higgins & Koivu. Get them away from the vets asap. Higgins already starts to look like a player who has forgot what made him good because he played too much based on Saku rather than on his own game.

Oh, and Andrei shouldnt play with Sergei either. Yes, sometimes they will pull good blind plays, but they're too predictable. It's doing both a disservice.

Koz, Carbo is trying to get Andrei to step up, he keeps on saying that he's got one of the best shots in the NHL and then he's asking him to shoot as much as possible (which he does; Kosty's one of the only Habs who'll fire from anywhere).

Again though that goes back to my: What the hell are they practicing question. AKosts on the PP looks useless and he never seems to clue in that a soft pass to him when he's at te point is a lead up to a 1 timer. AKosts always reciever "a pass" rather than tee off on them. It clearly looks like ot me that AKosts has never practiced doing 1 timers from the point in PP situations. How can this be possible at this point in the season? :wacko:

Again though that goes back to my: What the hell are they practicing question. AKosts on the PP looks useless and he never seems to clue in that a soft pass to him when he's at te point is a lead up to a 1 timer. AKosts always reciever "a pass" rather than tee off on them. It clearly looks like ot me that AKosts has never practiced doing 1 timers from the point in PP situations. How can this be possible at this point in the season? :wacko:

Dont know what you're talking about. AKost one-times as good as anyone. It's just that he can't put his slapper on net from that far away. He'd have to be about 10 feet closer to the net.

And he never was an option on the PP in the first place. He was used because all other options failed. AKost simply doesnt have the defensive awareness -- ie. how to read the play to know when it's time to backcheck -- to be a regular on the point. That's why he's mostly only used there when the Habs are 5-on-3

How often do we get to see AKosts killer 1 timer? Once every 4 or 5 games? Almost 9 out of 10 times he is softly passed the puck he recieves "a pass" and all 10 of the 10 times its not intended to be a pass. AKosts always seems surprised when he's lightly passed the puck and he literally looks like he doesnt know what to do with it when lighly passed the puck. Trust me, thats a problem. He never seems ready for it. AKosts should be doing at least one 1 timer a game, probably more, he could easily do 3 a game. He could be doing 12-15 1 timers on a 4-5 game span instead of just the 1 he seems to be doing. What do you think would be better? more, or less?

Almost 9 out of 10 times he is softly passed the puck he recieves "a pass" and all 10 of the 10 times its not intended to be a pass.

:wacko:

I'm sorry, I just dont understand what you mean there. Honestly... He is passed a pass and receives a pass that's not intended to be a pass?

I'm lost...

Whats the primary lead up to a 1 timer?

Could it be that if you shoot left and somebody to your right lightly slides the puck in your direction, and the recieving player cocks back his stick and waits for the puck to come close, and when it does they usually tee right off on it.

AKosts never cocks back his stick and waits for these pases, he just receives the pass on his stick. In these situations they arent passes, they are lead up to his 1 timer, but he never seems to figure that out.

I never doubted it. It's obvious to me since 05-06.

Doesnt anyone remembers 05-06?

Koivu & Kovy were on the same line with Zednik, Habs started the season well, but mid November Kovy got injured. All in a sudden Koivu went into an instand slump and the Habs started losing. Lasted a month.

Then Koivu got injured early December, Ribs got the #1 C spot, went a point streak, Habs started winning again. Then Kovy came back mid-December and was placed with Ribs, Habs started losing again.

Koivu came back for 1 game to play against Mikko, then went on the IR again and only came back at the beginning of January. Julien put Koivu and Kovy back together, but all the chemistry was gone. They just couldnt play together all in a sudden.

Habs' slumped continued and it eventually lead to Julien getting fired in January. First thing Gainey did when he took over the coaching was to split Koivu and Kovy. Remember? Kovy got Ribs as a centre and started piling up points again while Koivu was still struggling.

Since then, they just can't seem to stand each other. I dont know if anything happened or what, but they were clicking well at first and then almost overnight just couldnt do squat. The team started slumping and Julien got fired over it.

That's why I'm so sensitive about people blaming the coaches for the current slump. I remember what lead to Julien's dismissal. It was the same crap from Koivu & Kovy as we're having now.

AKost was the Belarus leader/go-to guy at any and all international competition he ever played in. Ditto in his last years in Hamilton. So it's not like he's not used to having to step up in that kind of role. I'm just thinking that in the current situation, with Kovy being such a huge presence for the Russian kids, that AKost can't or won't take a bigger role. But he has that potential. He has that game-breaking moves/shot.

I often wonder what would have happened if we had traded Koivu and kept Ribs. Get him a guy like Morrow (hard nosed, expects effort) and maybe Ribs and Kovalev would have prospered here. I love Koivu, but his upside is gone and it is getting to the point where he is holding us back.

At this point, Kovy may have to go as well..

Finally, we need to being in Avery. He won't play a single game, but Gainey will walk in and tell the team.. lose one more game and I make Avery your captain.... carry on... :)

I often wonder what would have happened if we had traded Koivu and kept Ribs. Get him a guy like Morrow (hard nosed, expects effort) and maybe Ribs and Kovalev would have prospered here. I love Koivu, but his upside is gone and it is getting to the point where he is holding us back.

At this point, Kovy may have to go as well..

Finally, we need to being in Avery. He won't play a single game, but Gainey will walk in and tell the team.. lose one more game and I make Avery your captain.... carry on... :)

Avery :lol::lol:

Well, honestly, I fail to see how Koivu is 'holding us back.' He has three points in two games and was one of the only half-decent Habs against Vancouver. I also don't understand how our only legitimate top-6 centreman is 'holding us back.' It's like saying Markov is 'holding us back' because he's not that great a PP quarterback.

It amazes me how often people lump Koivu and Kovalev together, like they're both 'equally to blame.' I mean, whatever you think of Koivu, come on. It's overpoweringly obvious which one of those guys is a moody, erratic head-case of epic proportions. Koivu, meanwhile, remains what he's long been - a dedicated-but-small #2 C being used as a #1. As for the idea that he's out of gas, I didn't hear too many people saying that when he was steadily producing before his injury. I'm not willing to infer from this slump that he can no longer produce at an effective clip - although he obviously is not the man of the future.

Should we have kept Ribeiro? Absolutely, unless he really was a 'cancer in the room' as they say (and I've heard lots of speculation about that, but none that I especially believe). Then again, I notice your qualifier - 'get him a guy like Morrow.' :lol: Sure. Bob could just go to the corner Power Foward Store and ask for one extra-good Brendan Morrow. All things considered, maybe it was worth gambling on Plekanec. Looked like a good gamble until this season.