The Habsworld.net 2009 Playoff Thread

Yeah, Hossa did leave the Pens out to dry. Bolting so quickly to the team they'd just lost to....

Douche move IMO

Tell me you would not have do so.

The douche move was made by Pittsburgh, giving up that much for Hossa. It didn't work and then were unable to re sign him.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The douche move was made by Pittsburgh, giving up that much for Hossa. It didn't work and then were unable to re sign him.

You take your shots when you can get them. They really didn't overpay by a lot. Armstrong and Christensen are mediocre players, Esposito was a risky pick, and then a late 1st. That's not an insane price for a legitimate shot at the Cup. Funny how two wins can make the difference between a good and bad deal.

What paycut? 7.5 million is a paycut when he was offered 7 million by the Pens?

Those are the only two offers he received? He could have got more than 7.45M and he could have signed a long-term deal. He owed the Penguins nothing. They rented him for a couple of months, knowing he was an unrestricted free agent. He didn't even choose to go there.

Those are the only two offers he received? He could have got more than 7.45M and he could have signed a long-term deal. He owed the Penguins nothing. They rented him for a couple of months, knowing he was an unrestricted free agent. He didn't even choose to go there.

I'm not saying he does owe the Penguins anything. I'm simply saying that it's silly to praise him for giving up money that he's just gonna get this summer. When he signs a contract for half he's worth, then I'll give him props for putting winning above money.

I wouldn't of in Hossa's situation. Why were his chances at a Cup with Pittsburgh any worse? They were coming off a Finals appearance already and he'd be playing with 2 of the top 3 players in the game. Hightailing it asap to the team that won the Cup is the easy way out. His logic could easily of applied to the Penguins as well.

And like Fanpuck said, the deal wasn't actually that bad. They gave up depth rather then any real talent.

The fact I still loathe the Red Wings plays a factor too though, keep that in mind. I'll hate anything they do.

I wouldn't of in Hossa's situation. Why were his chances at a Cup with Pittsburgh any worse? They were coming off a Finals appearance already and he'd be playing with 2 of the top 3 players in the game. Hightailing it asap to the team that won the Cup is the easy way out. His logic could easily of applied to the Penguins as well.

And like Fanpuck said, the deal wasn't actually that bad. They gave up depth rather then any real talent.

The fact I still loathe the Red Wings plays a factor too though, keep that in mind. I'll hate anything they do.

Well, why use the words "Hossa did leave the Pens out to dry" if they didn't trade any real talent ?

Well, why use the words "Hossa did leave the Pens out to dry" if they didn't trade any real talent ?

Hossa's departure left quite a void though.

Pens problem. But they managed to add key players to fill the holes and get to the SCF.

I'm not saying he does owe the Penguins anything. I'm simply saying that it's silly to praise him for giving up money that he's just gonna get this summer. When he signs a contract for half he's worth, then I'll give him props for putting winning above money.

He accepted a contract worth 7.45M when he could have signed a contract for 40 or 50+ million. He's probably going to wind up signing the big contract this year but he took a risk by not signing it when he had the chance. How many players have we seen even do that? What if he had sustained a serious injury this season? Had he taken Pittsburgh's offer, he'd still have guaranteed money for the next 5 or 6 seasons. But he turned down the best offer, to play on the best team.

Why were his chances at a Cup with Pittsburgh any worse? They were coming off a Finals appearance already and he'd be playing with 2 of the top 3 players in the game.

Detroit was the better team with Hossa on Pittsburgh. With Hossa off the Penguins roster and on the Red Wings roster, it's obvious why he thought he had a better chance of winning with Detroit.

Pittsburgh was outside of the playoff picture until the last couple of months of the season.

Exactly. Ask any Pen's fan, they feel spurned by Hossa. Theres a reason he gets booed everytime he touches the puck in Pittsburgh, Joe.

Detroit was the better team with Hossa on Pittsburgh. With Hossa off the Penguins roster and on the Red Wings roster, it's obvious why he thought he had a better chance of winning with Detroit.

Pittsburgh was outside of the playoff picture until the last couple of months of the season.

With a year of experience and more time to gel with the team, theres no reason to think he couldn't of gotten back to the finals with Pittsburgh though and they'd be a better team then the year before (ala the 83-84 comparison every journalist feels so compelled to make). Just look at these finals, they have no Hossa and are putting in a way better showing then last year. With Hossa, Pittsburgh would have won this thing already.

How Pittsburgh did during the season though doesn't really matter though. It's not like that can factor into a decision made in early July.

It's not about what they gave up to get him, it's about him leaving a team he just "went to war with" in the finals to join the team that beat him. Had Detroit lost in the Conference Finals last year and somebody else had beaten the Pens in the finals, I don't think Pittsburgh would feel nearly as upset at Hossa signing with Detroit. For fans, there are few people than players who leave your team because of the saying, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

He accepted a contract worth 7.45M when he could have signed a contract for 40 or 50+ million. He's probably going to wind up signing the big contract this year but he took a risk by not signing it when he had the chance. How many players have we seen even do that? What if he had sustained a serious injury this season? Had he taken Pittsburgh's offer, he'd still have guaranteed money for the next 5 or 6 seasons. But he turned down the best offer, to play on the best team.

Will you be happy if I say that he puts money and winning on a similar level? I meant to say that earlier, but didn't. That's as far as I'm willing to go until he starts playing for far less than his value. As far as the length of the deal, what you're saying about a significant injury makes sense in theory, but wouldn't work out in reality. If he gets hurt bad enough that he has to retire, whether he has a multi-year deal or not, he's not getting paid. If he gets hurt badly, but can still play, some team is going to trust modern medicine to fully heal him and give him the same type of deal he was offered last year.

If he gets hurt badly, but can still play, some team is going to trust modern medicine to fully heal him and give him the same type of deal he was offered last year.

Not necessarily. Different calibre player, but is Robert Lang going to get the same offers now that he would have prior to his injury? Had Hossa torn his ACL, he would not be offered any more 6+ year contracts. Why do you think NO other players do that? Because they take the best, safest offer on the table. Instead of taking a shot at the Cup.

Not necessarily. Different calibre player, but is Robert Lang going to get the same offers now that he would have prior to his injury? Had Hossa torn his ACL, he would not be offered any more 6+ year contracts. Why do you think NO other players do that? Because they take the best, safest offer on the table. Instead of taking a shot at the Cup.

Robert Lang is also near retirement, so injuries affect his value FAR more than they'd affect Hossa.

Let's be honest here, Hossa in no way risked his long term financial stability by playing this year for 7.5 million dollars. On his last two contracts alone, he's earned over 26 million, less taxes.

Robert Lang is also near retirement, so injuries affect his value FAR more than they'd affect Hossa.

Let's be honest here, Hossa in no way risked his long term financial stability by playing this year for 7.5 million dollars. On his last two contracts alone, he's earned over 26 million, less taxes.

I didn't say he risked going broke. But he probably made the most selfless contract of the offseason. Or at least, turned down the most money. You want players to take less money in order to have a chance at winning the Cup and then when a player finally does it, you criticize him for it.

I didn't say he risked going broke. But he probably made the most selfless contract of the offseason. Or at least, turned down the most money. You want players to take less money in order to have a chance at winning the Cup and then when a player finally does it, you criticize him for it.

Because I don't believe for a minute he's losing a significant amount of money by doing so. Back when Selanne signed a 1 million dollar deal to play in Colorado with Kariya to increase his chances of winning a Cup, that was sacrificing money for a chance at winning.