Georges Laraque: Vegetarian

JLP

tofu !! :puke:

Eating it makes me mad. hey !! maybe thats what will get georfe going next year !!

Good for him if it makes him happy. I'm a little worried about him hanging out with the PETA folk, mainly because they're pretty crazy in general (not for their beliefs, but their tactics). I was a vegetarian for 6 years myself, but by the end of it I wasn't eating any healthier (which was the point of my switch) and I decided to give up and try meat again. Really I've just got to learn to cook better... I could easily go back, but I think I'll go half way and just keep fish in my diet next time.

Good for him if it makes him happy. I'm a little worried about him hanging out with the PETA folk, mainly because they're pretty crazy in general (not for their beliefs, but their tactics).

Even their beliefs are crazy, they care more about animals than they do people. They're all over Michael Vick, but you don't hear any sort of outrage about Donte Stallworth. While driving drunk, he saw a pedestrian, flashed his lights, honked his horn, and still did nothing to avoid hitting the guy. He killed a man and you hardly hear anything about it. It's ridiculous how many athletes are involved in violent crimes against other people, yet Vick takes the worst of it because he killed dogs.

Even their beliefs are crazy, they care more about animals than they do people. They're all over Michael Vick, but you don't hear any sort of outrage about Donte Stallworth. While driving drunk, he saw a pedestrian, flashed his lights, honked his horn, and still did nothing to avoid hitting the guy. He killed a man and you hardly hear anything about it. It's ridiculous how many athletes are involved in violent crimes against other people, yet Vick takes the worst of it because he killed dogs.

It just shows how public opinion is more sympathetic towards animals than humans.

Well, they are an animal rights advocacy group, so it's easy to say "why don't you care more about people?" There are other advocacy groups for people, it's not their M.O. I certainly don't expect the Assembly of Ukrainian Canadians to stand up for animal rights, nor do I expect PETA to admonish drunk drivers. If any advocacy group should be targeting Stallworth, it should be MADD. It's not PETA's fault that Stallworth isn't being held to standard by the public.

Well, they are an animal rights advocacy group, so it's easy to say "why don't you care more about people?" There are other advocacy groups for people, it's not their M.O. I certainly don't expect the Assembly of Ukrainian Canadians to stand up for animal rights, nor do I expect PETA to admonish drunk drivers. If any advocacy group should be targeting Stallworth, it should be MADD. It's not PETA's fault that Stallworth isn't being held to standard by the public.

hehehe exactly. Imagine a group that protested everything. Their acronym would be like thousands of letters long.

But the groups notoriety and celebrity backing just goes to show how messed up people's priorities are. ESPN isn't a PETA member, but they still give 500 times more coverage to Vick than to Stallworth. Yes, Vick is the bigger name, but Stallworth is far from a nobody, and he killed another human being.

hehehe exactly. Imagine a group that protested everything. Their acronym would be like thousands of letters long.

My point is that anyone who values animal rights over human rights has completely messed up priorities.

Anyhow, this is completely off topic, so I'll shut up now.

Christiano-Muslim Anti-Religeous Society Against Cruelty To African Americans, Caucasians, Asians, Animals, Children, Pro-Peace Clean The Beaches Against Hunger And Drunk Driving Affirmative Action Save The Whales And The Freedom Of Expression And Vote No On Question 3 Neighborhood Watch For Preservation of Cultural Heritage..................

Maybe time to start one of our own? My choice would be CFAMF - Canadiens Fans Against Millionaire Floaters.

Even their beliefs are crazy, they care more about animals than they do people.

I'm not vegetarian -- I'm a red-meat addict -- but that thing above... that applies to me.

Yeah, I care more about animals than people. People are waaaaay overrated. How many are we now? 8 billions? Face it, humans are a highly expandable species. Dont give me that shit about people having self-awareness and feelings: only a minority actually uses those abilities daily. The rest are as instinct-driven as any animal; with the difference that they up their environment much more than any other mammal would.

Example: There's something like only 400 tigers left in China. Yet poachers still hunt them because dried up tigers penises are supposed to give sexual power and it sells high on the blackmarket.

Hmmm, so let me see: 400 tigers threatened by extinction; or a billion limp-dick Chinese. Which of the two really is expendable & disposable?

Helicopter-hunting Sarah Palin? Sign me up for some of that!

My point is that anyone who values animal rights over human rights has completely messed up priorities.

"Rights" is a concept that only applies to a civilized society. And face it, if there was a test for civilization, a whole damn lot of people would flunk it.

I stopped eating meat about 11 months ago. Have to say, am glad to have made the decision. I didn't eat much meat anyways.

But, I don't eat meat because of any sort of moral standard. I simply don't like meat, so I choose not to eat it. PETA is a joke, and often they go way too far. I think their cause is noble, but they're methods are out of control. They're not helping themselves with the actions they're undertaking. I'd take them a lot more seriously if they could conduct themselves more appropriately.

But, I don't eat meat because of any sort of moral standard. I simply don't like meat, so I choose not to eat it. PETA is a joke, and often they go way too far. I think their cause is noble, but they're methods are out of control. They're not helping themselves with the actions they're undertaking. I'd take them a lot more seriously if they could conduct themselves more appropriately.

Every "activist" group will usually reach that point where they're just caught up in their own rhetoric & logic and eventually become detrimental to their own cause.

I dont regard eating meat as something unethical in itself. The moral issue is with the treatment of animals in meat factories. Let the f*cking cattle graze naturally and eat what they were biologically created to eat. That's just plain common sense. It gives better, more healthy meat and reduces the spread of diseases.

Large-scale farming is the issue. It destroys soils, impacts cattle-feeding and will eventually lead to large-scale food issues. We dont realize how close we are to the edge. There is almost no arable soil left in the US, it's all used up to feed cattle and it's also getting more eroded and more polluted. One little wide-spread disease (say, mad cow or something similar) and you end up with no meat and no soil to plant any crops to make up for the meat loss.

Nah, just PTG. ;)

Every "activist" group will usually reach that point where they're just caught up in their own rhetoric & logic and eventually become detrimental to their own cause.

I dont regard eating meat as something unethical in itself. The moral issue is with the treatment of animals in meat factories. Let the f*cking cattle graze naturally and eat what they were biologically created to eat. That's just plain common sense. It gives better, more healthy meat and reduces the spread of diseases.

Large-scale farming is the issue. It destroys soils, impacts cattle-feeding and will eventually lead to large-scale food issues. We dont realize how close we are to the edge. There is almost no arable soil left in the US, it's all used up to feed cattle and it's also getting more eroded and more polluted. One little wide-spread disease (say, mad cow or something similar) and you end up with no meat and no soil to plant any crops to make up for the meat loss.

Based on facts? I have traveled across the United States and I have seen a lot of land available for farming! On a more important subject lets keep this site for hockey issues. If you wish to convert the world to a lifestyle go to that forum. I am sure PETA has a place for you. :lol:

Based on facts? I have traveled across the United States and I have seen a lot of land available for farming! On a more important subject lets keep this site for hockey issues. If you wish to convert the world to a lifestyle go to that forum. I am sure PETA has a place for you. :lol:

One could argue that if he goes there, there is about 100% chances that every members will already be converted...

Back on topic, do you guys think that it is good or not for an athlete to be vegetarian ?? Will the athlete miss something ?

Did I say I wanted to convert anyone or supported PETA? Someone mentioned that Middle-Age, religious-inspired view that humans are more important than animals and I disagreed. If I dont care about people, you think I'd care about converting them???

And yes, what I wrote is based on facts. I'm writing a screenplay and researched potential crisises that'd turned the world upside down (I need a plausible, realistic explanation for mankind having to explore/colonize space). Food production + overpopulation = the most likely catastrophic planetary scenario that can happen right now.

So you think because while driving down some highway you see some desert field it's automatically "available for farming". Crops just dont grow anywhere. Same deal in Quebec. 80% of the arable land is located on the banks of the St-Laurent River... and it's almost entirely covered by cities. You can go try to farm some corn in Abitibi if you feel like it. I'm sure you'll have a joly good time trying to plow rocks...

Back on topic, do you guys think that it is good or not for an athlete to be vegetarian ?? Will the athlete miss something ?

Well, one of the biggest alleged benefit of a vegetarian diet is that it keeps weight under control; something Laraque had huge problems with in his career. The main downside is usually protein intake.

I'd be amazed if he remains as big as he is, while being a vegertian. You lose a large amount of protein, which is hard to get elsewhere and have your body use is properly and considering his size, and being a very physical athlete I am willing to bet he eats alot of meat. Be hard to fill that gap

I bet he doesn'ts stick with it, and goes back to meat. Its the way it shold be

Well, one of the biggest alleged benefit of a vegetarian diet is that it keeps weight under control; something Laraque had huge problems with in his career. The main downside is usually protein intake.

can't he just supplement it with those protein powder things

Well, the most common protein supplement is made from whey, a by-product of cow milk.

did he say he was going vegan or just vegetarian? god this is a stupid discussion that only Georges could precipitate