Is Big Georges Still a Good Fit?

habs rule

I know there are a lot people who feel that either we never should have signed georges or we should get rid of him now. I thought signing him was a great idea but I would have to say that with the injuries and the "code that he lives by" he has been a disappointment to many. I think he is a great guy but will we need a 2 min a game fighter next year? I think some of the injuries etc may be caused by poor conditioning and that is not acceptable. Not for 1.5 million per year. I really wonder if bob is looking for a new home for Georges or what the solution might be. Any thoughts?

Edited by habs rule

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was so pumped when we got georges...but the more he talks the more i dont like him...his a great fighter but if you are not willing to punch guys out, whats the point...to be a good hockey fighter you got to be a bit of a bad ass and with this code george got made up, he as made him self useless, unless its a stage fight...if i was bob i would have a goodtalk with george and if he dont say the right things..i would move him or he be a AHL PLAYER next season and give his cap space to a player we can use to help the habs win..

It all depends on wither or not Martin can use Laraque well. Carbo didnt seemed to know what to do of BGL, and it took Gainey going behind the bench to see something worthwhile out of Laraque.

i love bgl, but he doesn't have a mean streak, which we will most definitely need against the leafs and bruins. never saw kordic, nilan or ewen making nice to the opposing teams. bgl should have unloaded on lucic last season. if he comes to camp injured or out of shape then he has to go. as for now, we need the nuclear deterrent.

It makes no sense to buy him out. We'd be paying $500,000 a year for the next 4 years, and considering we'd have to replace him in the lineup with a guy at least making $500k as well, it's only saving $500k a year, and not many regular 4th liners make the league minimum, it's mainly unproven guys like Chipchura or Stewart, and once they become proven in that role they're asking for close to $1m. So in essence, you're not saving anything once you replace him with a proven guy (like a Metropolit, Bégin or Kostopolous; or even a cheaper goon like Colton Orr who makes $1m now).

The one possibility that exists would be sending him to Hamilton if he's out of shape (be it due to injury or not). An injured enforcer is of no use to anyone.

The one possibility that exists would be sending him to Hamilton if he's out of shape (be it due to injury or not). An injured enforcer is of no use to anyone.

does anyone know if he has a no trade clause or no movement clause. does he count against the cap if he is injured?

oh yeah and we saw that first hand last year.

Edited by habs rule

What's the point of cleaning house if a player who was part of the problem as

the same problems than last year ?

If he shuts his big mouth and drops hit when he has to he shall stay, if not get rid

of the guy.

does anyone know if he has a no trade clause or no movement clause. does he count against the cap if he is injured?

oh yeah and we saw that first hand last year.

He has a limited no trade clause, so yes he can be waived (when he's healthy only, though). The no trade clause specifies certain teams in which he will not accept a trade to, but there are teams where he's already pre-approved a trade to (likely Edmonton is one of them, for example, since he lives there in the offseason he'd have no issues getting traded there).

The cap/injury thing... it's best to just leave that question be for now. Things get complex with that subject. If it's a long term injury: yeah, we get some flexibility for as long as he's hurt. If it's just continually being off and on the injured reserve (like last year), it becomes a pain in the butt and provides cap issues, not resolutions. To put it bluntly... injuries like Lang's are almost preferred: you know it's serious, you know it will be a while, and you can go out and get some help in some form to make up for the loss (we used up that space by getting Schneider and Metropolit). Injuries like Laraque's, or Brisebois' a couple years ago... when you never know from week to week when the guy will be healthy... cap relief just can't be found.

We haven't seen a 100% fit Laraque in a Montreal uniform yet. I'd personally like to see that happen at least once before deciding if he's a good fit with the team.

One could argue regardless of his health that the team is faster than last season, and he may not have the wheels to keep up with the team concept. However, I still think a guy like Laraque who can protect the puck along the boards and play a down-low cycle will have a place on the team.

If he doesn't play until he's 100% healthy, spends 5-10 games in Hamilton getting his legs (doubtful he'll do that, but one can hope), comes back to Montreal and lays massive body checks on opposing teams' star players... he'll be a good fit. If he's the Laraque of last season, he won't be a good fit.

It all depends on wither or not Martin can use Laraque well. Carbo didnt seemed to know what to do of BGL, and it took Gainey going behind the bench to see something worthwhile out of Laraque.

Ya, know nothing me said that BGL should be used in front of the net during the regular season and almost evrybody here laughed and said what a dumb idea that would be. Then in the playoffs Bob started playing BGL in front of the net and was a genius. Unfortunately it wasnt quite genius though because BGL had never done that before so he didnt know what to do. Learning on the fly in the playoffs probably isnt the best idea.

I hope Martin does another BGL suggestion I had and gets BGL to push all his teamates around hardcore in practices to the point they snap and retaliate against him. Most of the Habs need to learn how to fight and BGL would make an excellent fight coach/punching bag for them to learn how. ^_^

honestly, I'd buy him out and thank him for the memory! short as it has been...

but I will buy the argument that its up to Martin; if he has a role for the Big Laq. :wall: then sure he stays but I really don't think he will last more than one month...

the contract will need to be bought out or he may opt to retire.. :contract:

:ghg:

I think too many people expected Georges to make up for years of the Habs having no legit heavyweight by jumping any and every player who just looked at us funny.

This is hockey, not gangsta's on ice.

The only debate here is weither Laraque can be useful as a winger on a 4th line outside of fighting. I maintain that it all depends on the use Martin wants to make of his 4th line. If he wants a heavy, physical 4th line then Laraque has a place with the team. If he wants a fast, buzzing 4th line then maybe Laraque won't fit in.

For my share, I think Martin can find something for Laraque to do. Dont be fooled, Laraque cant be a very exhausting player to defend for opposing teams because he's hard to knock off the puck. If Martin decides he wants a 4th line that is only there to wear down the opposing D then BGL surely has his use.

George provides more than just a punch in the face... he is the disincentive that BG and Marting will need to create for the opposing teams to respect the Habs... Lucic was useless when George was on his tail... Bla Bla bla and all the rest .... BUT yes the point is if George doesnt get healthy again he's screwed then were screwed!!! Im not a nutritionist but I know about metabolism... and I dont think his injury whatever it is, benefits from no animal protein.

But I know BG has that in mind... hence Alex Henry was one of few Hamilton players to get resigned before even July first. Greg Stewart can fight but he doesnt deter Nor does Henry for that matter.. yet not many other players... I want to see bodychecks, i wanna boarding, i wanna see wrecking balls plaster Burkes team, i wanna see The Lucic and Bruins grasp for impact when closing on the puck!... if we have one crazy maniac body cruncher in every line and in every defensive pair, then we can forget about having a healthy enforcer... An enforcer we need anyways.. We shouldnt need it Every night!

Keep him, for sure. I think with the new system and new face to the team he'll be a whole lot better. I think he was frustrated by the lack of passion from some players so he kind of floated. He'll be fine this year!

If his back issues persist I can see him retiring. Like most I was stoked when we signed him. He was coming off a great year in Pitt and looked to be the player we really needed to stick up for his teammates. However, like most of the Habs last season, off rink distractions seems to curtail all expectations. Now it seems that BGL has taken to devoting his time to other ventures and does not appear to be interested in playing the game anymore. I truly believe he is contemplating hanging up the skates. However, I think we really need him and hopefully the changes will play on his mind and allow himself to be motivated to play again.

If everything Martin has done in the past is transferred to the system he will bring to the Habs, BGL should have a role. He will get more than 2 mins a game under Martin because on paper this team is starting to look like a 4 line team. If BGL is put on LTIR or retires and whatever, there is still Alex Henry in the system that can come and fill that role.

My 2 cents.

Tak

George provides more than just a punch in the face... he is the disincentive that BG and Marting will need to create for the opposing teams to respect the Habs... Lucic was useless when George was on his tail... Bla Bla bla and all the rest .... BUT yes the point is if George doesnt get healthy again he's screwed then were screwed!!! Im not a nutritionist but I know about metabolism... and I dont think his injury whatever it is, benefits from no animal protein.

But I know BG has that in mind... hence Alex Henry was one of few Hamilton players to get resigned before even July first. Greg Stewart can fight but he doesnt deter Nor does Henry for that matter.. yet not many other players... I want to see bodychecks, i wanna boarding, i wanna see wrecking balls plaster Burkes team, i wanna see The Lucic and Bruins grasp for impact when closing on the puck!... if we have one crazy maniac body cruncher in every line and in every defensive pair, then we can forget about having a healthy enforcer... An enforcer we need anyways.. We shouldnt need it Every night!

Actually if last year was any indication that statement isnt entirely correct. Every game BGL played in the other teams werent as physical against the Habs. However in most games that BGL was in the pressbox the other teams physicality was highly increased because there was no BGL threat with him sitting in the pressbox. I can recall several games where the Habs were getting knocked around big time and every 1 of these games BGL was in the pressbox. I remember 1 game specifically where TB played way above their size and were taking runs at random at Habs players and the Habs had no response for it because TB knew BGL wasnt in the game.

You are right that BGL wont be needed every game to fight, but he truly has zero effect if he isnt even on the bench. If theres absolutely no possibility of BGL coming on the ice the next shit then he is no deterrent. BGL needs a roster spot in every game to be effective. If Martin chooses to send him out on the ice every game is a different matter. Martin always needs to have the BGL option available so if a player hurts a Habs player in any game BGL is always close by and can do something aboot it.

i just recalled, not sure if it was true but i heard that when martin was in ottawa roy would have to ask him if he could fight and that martin wasnt a big fan of fighter????...like i said not sure if this was true...anyone else hear anything like that about martin?

Actually if last year was any indication that statement isnt entirely correct. Every game BGL played in the other teams werent as physical against the Habs. However in most games that BGL was in the pressbox the other teams physicality was highly increased because there was no BGL threat with him sitting in the pressbox. I can recall several games where the Habs were getting knocked around big time and every 1 of these games BGL was in the pressbox. I remember 1 game specifically where TB played way above their size and were taking runs at random at Habs players and the Habs had no response for it because TB knew BGL wasnt in the game.

You are right that BGL wont be needed every game to fight, but he truly has zero effect if he isnt even on the bench. If theres absolutely no possibility of BGL coming on the ice the next shit then he is no deterrent. BGL needs a roster spot in every game to be effective. If Martin chooses to send him out on the ice every game is a different matter. Martin always needs to have the BGL option available so if a player hurts a Habs player in any game BGL is always close by and can do something aboot it.

the trouble is he has a hard time convincing others to fight him (not that I blame them) because of the code, so is he a deterrent? :hlogo:

true true... i wrote it wrongly... (cause Im a big enforcer fAN) what i meant to write is that we should have a health enforcer every night in the lineup... just that we shouldnt need him to be acting out on it every night... hence the deterrent effect and the hard hitting action from the gained confidence in the team should allow for George or whomever in the lineup be an enforcer but not necesarily be dropping the gloves to be effective... This also answers to the critiques to BGL that his ethic etc sucks... he doesnt have to drop the gloves to do his job! and that Im sure Sir you agree with me

I dont think anyone is scared of Laraque anymore. he clearly doesn't want to fight no more. Whats his use ?? NADA!

I've always been fan of 4th liners shuting the F-up. who did the most yapping last year ?? Dandy, begin, laraque...you know how good team spirit is when 4th linesr complain in the media.

tha being said,do we need an enforcer?? I think so. Do we need an aging aching, whinning enforcer. NO !

I dont think anyone is scared of Laraque anymore. he clearly doesn't want to fight no more. Whats his use ?? NADA!

I've always been fan of 4th liners shuting the F-up. who did the most yapping last year ?? Dandy, begin, laraque...you know how good team spirit is when 4th linesr complain in the media.

tha being said,do we need an enforcer?? I think so. Do we need an aging aching, whinning enforcer. NO !

I agree that whining isn't pleasant... but you got to look at it as a shrink would ----The whining in this case was the symptomatology, or the tell tale signs of something wrong in the teams psyche! The team was sick! Carbo said we would find out in the end what was wrong... Im still hoping the team chemistry in the next season shows me what GC was talking about

But you are shooting from the hip with the not being scared of BGL..! We heard it from several enforcers on tv interviews and teammates e.g. OTR on RDS etc.. that no one wants to fight BGL cause they are scared of him!

Edited by CoRvInA