Time for Price

TheDriveFor25

Another fine case of Carey's vaunted mental toughness. It's one thing to show your emotion and play with fire; it's another to take a stupid penalty after giving up a goal, thus limiting the time your team has to answer and make a comeback.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Price played with a edge last night before that as well...Halak never hacked at players infront of him, pushed them out of the way, roughed up a player that fell on him. The first penalty was ######ed...the refs put the whistle away all series...yet call those types of calls on the habs.

You think Roy, Brodeur, other great goalies never got frustrated? I'd rather a over the edge goalie, than a emotionally stunted one in Halak.

I think the Caps are hoping Price gets the start in Game #5. Those childish antics show them they are completely inside his head now. Why tip your hand when you are frustrated and give the other team that much more of an edge, not to mention your team trying to get momentum back and you costing them 2min for a selfish dumb penalty.

Sugar coat it all you want but I don't see any positive in his actions.

Price played bigger, wasn't pushed around, I was happy with his performance.

You think the other team doesn't know you're frustrated after scoring that many goals in a short time? The Habs players should be crashing Varlamov, making his life hell, yet they don't, I'd take a player like Avery, Ott, Carcillo, these guys play on the edge...and cross it. I love that style of hockey...Roy, played with that cocky, over the edge attitude.

Really..the argument is, the fans don't want Price, it's becoming clear. Last year, he played the cool card, joking around with the media..and got ripped for..guess what, not enough of an edge, didn't show he was pissed after losses, now that he does, he's over the edge.

I was hoping since he played pretty good it wouldn't be an issue but habs fans just can't help themselves.

Any one could pick on Markov, that guy has been invisible all series, but it's easier to after Price. DIdn't Halak give up 6 without empty netters.

Really..the argument is, the fans don't want Price, it's becoming clear. Last year, he played the cool card, joking around with the media..and got ripped for..guess what, not enough of an edge, didn't show he was pissed after losses, now that he does, he's over the edge.

There's playing with an edge and then there's being an idiot. He seriously impaired his team's ability to make a comeback by putting them on the penalty kill immediately after going down two goals with limited time remaining.

Edited by Fanpuck33

There's playing with an edge and then there's being an idiot. He seriously impaired his team's ability to make a comeback by putting them on the penalty kill immediately after going down two goals with limited time remaining.

Like I said..I'm far happier with 'edge' penalties...then the high sticks, hooks, holds in the offensive zone. I'd gladly applaud a player like Laps intentionally running the other goalie...these are 'edge' penalties...Pearn called them 'working penalties' I think. We don't have to agree, I just like a goalie with fire...

I beleieve the other 18 players impaired the abiltiy for the habs to win.

GOALTENDING has had very little to do with it.

Of course blame has to be placed on the rest of the team as well. Montreal has one goal scored by their 3rd and 4th lines and nothing from the defense in four games. They continue their trend of starting off pretty well and then folding as the game progresses. However, Montreal is a mediocre team and everyone knows the only way for mediocre teams to win in the playoffs is to be carried by their goalie. Without elite goaltender performances, we never had a shot in this series.

Like I said..I'm far happier with 'edge' penalties...then the high sticks, hooks, holds in the offensive zone. I'd gladly applaud a player like Laps intentionally running the other goalie...these are 'edge' penalties...Pearn called them 'working penalties' I think. We don't have to agree, I just like a goalie with fire...

And tell me, what edge was gained by Price's antics? Running a goalie maybe makes him worry about contact instead of the puck. Going after an opponent who is trying to mess with your teammate makes them think twice about pulling something. Shooting a puck into a group of celebrating players? All that does is prove that you're in the goalies head and you're on your way to a victory.

Edited by Fanpuck33

And tell me, what edge was gained by Price's antics? Running a goalie maybe makes him worry about contact instead of the puck. Going after an opponent who is trying to mess with your teammate makes them think twice about pulling something. Shooting a puck into a group of celebrating players? All that does is prove that you're in the goalies head and you're on your way to a victory.

It shows he cares...to me as a fan anyway. Athletes are people..they get mad...they always say don't 'wake' up certain players. The go on and on and on about it for Ovie, I am seeing a lack of caring for this team. A player like Kostopolus cared...you could tell, I'm not seeing much caring from any player, showing frustrating makes me feel, "hey these guys aren't out there for a paycheck..this is really affecting them". People may have differing opinions, this is mine. I feel the better goalies in the leagues history have shown that fire...that not so borderline arrogance. I don't see how this mean's they are in his head. I think standing there meekly, grabbing the water bottle, shows you're afraid more than anything.

Price's penalty did lead them to have only 6 minutes instead of 8, but honestly, did anybody on this

board believe the Habs were coming back after the 4th goal?

The guy can't win. He plays 155 minutes over the last 40+ days and he is tossed into the fire against

the most explosive offensive team in the league. He then has to play behind Bergeron and Hamrlik

making ridiculous little league mistakes hanging him out to dry.

And the fans are on here complaining about an unsportsmanlike conduct?

habs fans are a victim of their own insanity. When they get an elite prospect, instead of nurturing it

they squeeze the shit out of it until it is destroyed, creating their own misery when 1% of the league

is actually capable of living up to their expectation.

habs fans want Ken Dryden's demeanour until it is unsuccessful, then they want Patrick Roy's demeanour.

When that doesn't work they want Dryden's again.

Once again this boat has sprung leaks everywhere and the fanbase is complaining about the lighting

system. The reason the lights are not working is because the leaks caused them to short out.

It shows he cares...to me as a fan anyway. Athletes are people..they get mad...they always say don't 'wake' up certain players. The go on and on and on about it for Ovie, I am seeing a lack of caring for this team. A player like Kostopolus cared...you could tell, I'm not seeing much caring from any player, showing frustrating makes me feel, "hey these guys aren't out there for a paycheck..this is really affecting them". People may have differing opinions, this is mine. I feel the better goalies in the leagues history have shown that fire...that not so borderline arrogance. I don't see how this mean's they are in his head. I think standing there meekly, grabbing the water bottle, shows you're afraid more than anything.

Then shoot the puck out to center ice or directly behind the goal. Then you show some emotion while not killing your team's chances to make a comeback. Shooting it at an opponent and taking a penalty was just about the worst thing he could have done.

Brodeur does stand and grabs the water bottle; or he takes that stupid look

What Price did was totally juvenile

Once again this boat has sprung leaks everywhere and the fanbase is complaining about the lighting

system. The reason the lights are not working is because the leaks caused them to short out.

This boat isn't leaking, it sunk years ago. Change the players and change the coaches and we've still gotten the same results for the last 15 years.

Brodeur does stand and grabs the water bottle; or he takes that stupid look

What Price did was totally juvenile

Players are human. Players throw temper tantrums. Patrick Roy threw one so huge it got him traded.

Patrick Roy threw one so bad that he got suspended for 8 games in 1987.

It is the least of my concerns.

If Price had pulled that when the Habs had lead 3-2, I would be pissed off. He did it when they were dead and buried.

They were dead and buried when Hammer made a juvenile decision, a decision that a 20 year vet should never make.

They were dead when Gill missed the poke check and then Bergeron ran around like an idiot on the 4th goal covering

nobody. Those things concern me more than anything Price did.

Edited by Wamsley01

Players are human. Players throw temper tantrums. Patrick Roy threw one so huge it got him traded.

If Price had pulled that when the Habs had lead 3-2, I would be pissed off. He did it when they were dead and buried.

They were dead and buried when Hammer made a juvenile decision, a decision that a 20 year vet should never make.

They were dead when Gill missed the poke check and then Bergeron ran around like an idiot on the 4th goal covering

Wasn't it Corson who got the 8 games?

Price acts cool, he's attacked for not caring; Price gets angry, he's attacked for being juvenile. If this guy re-signs with us once his contract expires I will be amazed.

Wasn't it Corson who got the 8 games?

Price acts cool, he's attacked for not caring; Price gets angry, he's attacked for being juvenile. If this guy re-signs with us once his contract expires I will be amazed.

Roy two handed Warren Babe on the Stars in 1987 and got suspended for 8 games.

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1984/84051.html

Roy's Big Suspension: Roy was suspended by the NHL for eight games during the 1987-88 season for slashing Warren Babe during Montreal's Oct. 19, 1987, game vs. Minnesota. Roy, who had been annoyed with Babe during the game, came out of the crease and hit Babe with a two-handed slash on the left knee with less than two minutes remaining in the Canadiens' 5-1 victory. The slash injured Babe badly enough that he could not skate back to the bench on his own and was out for the next 10 days with a bruised knee. Minnesota coach Herb Brooks vowed that "Next time, Roy will get his throat slashed," referring to a Nov. 27 scheduled game at Minnesota. Brooks backed off those comments but joined Lou Nanne in asking the league to suspend Roy for the same eight-game sentence that Philadelphia's Ron Hextall had been given for slashing Edmonton's Kent Nilsson during the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals. Brooks said the Roy slash was no less violent and threatened the league's integrity. Roy, who received a major penalty for the slash, apologized for his action, but said that Babe had crosschecked him twice during the game. He also said his slash was not on par with the "Hextall thing." It was hard to verify this, since it happened while Minnesota's Richard Zemlack and Montreal's John Kordic were in the middle of a fight that drew the attention of referee Rob Shick, linesman Kevin Collins and Mike Cvik, and the TV crew televising the game. Only Lance Roberts, a stand-by referee who happened to be at the game, saw the incident and was able to report it to the NHL, which set up a hearing for Oct. 29, 1987. Roy continued to play for the Canadiens up until and after the hearing, with his last start coming vs. Edmonton on Oct. 28, 1987. But following the hearing, the league ruled that Roy would be suspended. The eight games shocked the Canadiens, who did not think Roy would get a punishment equal to Hextall's. As a result of the suspension, Roy did not return to action until Montreal's Nov. 14, 1987, game vs. Chicago. He shut out the Blackhawks 3-0 in that game.

Roy two handed Warren Babe on the Stars in 1987 and got suspended for 8 games.

http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1984/84051.html

Roy's Big Suspension: Roy was suspended by the NHL for eight games during the 1987-88 season for slashing Warren Babe during Montreal's Oct. 19, 1987, game vs. Minnesota. Roy, who had been annoyed with Babe during the game, came out of the crease and hit Babe with a two-handed slash on the left knee with less than two minutes remaining in the Canadiens' 5-1 victory. The slash injured Babe badly enough that he could not skate back to the bench on his own and was out for the next 10 days with a bruised knee. Minnesota coach Herb Brooks vowed that "Next time, Roy will get his throat slashed," referring to a Nov. 27 scheduled game at Minnesota. Brooks backed off those comments but joined Lou Nanne in asking the league to suspend Roy for the same eight-game sentence that Philadelphia's Ron Hextall had been given for slashing Edmonton's Kent Nilsson during the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals. Brooks said the Roy slash was no less violent and threatened the league's integrity. Roy, who received a major penalty for the slash, apologized for his action, but said that Babe had crosschecked him twice during the game. He also said his slash was not on par with the "Hextall thing." It was hard to verify this, since it happened while Minnesota's Richard Zemlack and Montreal's John Kordic were in the middle of a fight that drew the attention of referee Rob Shick, linesman Kevin Collins and Mike Cvik, and the TV crew televising the game. Only Lance Roberts, a stand-by referee who happened to be at the game, saw the incident and was able to report it to the NHL, which set up a hearing for Oct. 29, 1987. Roy continued to play for the Canadiens up until and after the hearing, with his last start coming vs. Edmonton on Oct. 28, 1987. But following the hearing, the league ruled that Roy would be suspended. The eight games shocked the Canadiens, who did not think Roy would get a punishment equal to Hextall's. As a result of the suspension, Roy did not return to action until Montreal's Nov. 14, 1987, game vs. Chicago. He shut out the Blackhawks 3-0 in that game.

Hee hee, I forgot all about that :lol:

There's something to be said for a goalie who is a bit nuts. Personally, I wouldn't have minded seeing Halak chop down Knuble at some point in Games Two or Three. Ah well. The good old days.

Regarding Roy's outburst that got him traded, I can understand; the coach waited too long before replacing him; you just dont do that.

Plus, during his 7 years tenure with the habs, how many times did the fans want him out after a bad game or 2?

The Habs would have enever won the cup in 86 and 93 without Roy.

So I guess what happened in 95 was an accumulation of all those frustrations; Tremblay being an a** was just the last straw

Sure, Roy is an emotional individual, but he knew how to settle down when his team needed him

Throwing a temper tantrum in the regular season is much different than throwing one in the playoffs. All Price did was show that he had no faith in the team in front of him to pull off a comeback. If the goalie has no faith in the team in front of him, why should the team have any faith in the goalie?

Edited by Fanpuck33

Throwing a temper tantrum in the regular season is much different than throwing one in the playoffs.

How is that?

THat game was over. You know it and I know it. Next subject.

Regarding Roy's outburst that got him traded, I can understand; the coach waited too long before replacing him; you just dont do that.

Plus, during his 7 years tenure with the habs, how many times did the fans want him out after a bad game or 2?

The Habs would have enever won the cup in 86 and 93 without Roy.

So I guess what happened in 95 was an accumulation of all those frustrations; Tremblay being an a** was just the last straw

Sure, Roy is an emotional individual, but he knew how to settle down when his team needed him

Plenty of goalies have been left in too long and did not freak out like that.

Roy had a monster ego, knew Tremblay was sticking it to him and was infuriated that after everything

he had done in Montreal was treated like a stiff.

So he lost it.

Edited by Wamsley01

How is that?

Plenty of goalies have been left in too long and did not freak out like that.

Roy had a monster ego, knew Tremblay was sticking it to him and was infuriated that after everything

he had done in Montreal was treated like a stiff.

So he lost it.

Roy did have (still does) a monster ego; he did have some inexcusable reactions (like going to the coach`s office and throwing everything in sight)

How is that?

You really need to ask? You don't see any more significance to the playoffs than the regular season? Roy got suspended in October. Big deal. He does that in the playoffs, huge deal. Price shoots a puck at someone in the regular season, no big deal. He does it in a playoff game, big deal.

Then why play the rest of the game? Just forfeit and save energy

Edited by Fanpuck33

It's always about context. Price has a chip on his shoulder since last season. His sympathy capital is near 0. It doesnt help him that Halak is the kind of lovable shy underdog with a rag-to-riches story. Price is in a situation where he has to prove he's not an immature spoiled kid. Playing with an edge is fine, but it has to be done in a way to will rally the team or intimidate the opponent. I doubt throwing the puck at the guys celebrating a goal or tripping them achieves one or the other.

Yeah, I do believe Price has become a whipping boy of sort. A lot has to do with him being placed in a bad situation by a GM who overestimated the kid's mental focus and the team's ability to win games without stellar goaltending. But Price is not helping himself either.