GDT: Montreal at Florida, Dec. 31, 1700 EST

lazy26

Wiz comes as advertised. A top-4 offensive defenceman :clap: Dare I hope that we're already starting to see what I anticipated when we acquired him - i.e., a better all-around game driven from the back end.

Really, a strong effort tonight. They had what, 46 shots? Gomez and Gio were playing like their jockstraps were on fire. Let's see more of that!!

RDS really f*cked up. What a joke.

if this is a number 4 Dman it shows you how over rated our D is... lets get rid of all the D and switch them with Number 4s

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guys i only managed to watch the game shortly before the end of the 3rd...

can you tell me what the D pairings were?

Hammer played 26 min

Wiz 23

PK 21

Gill 20.5

Spachek 19.5

Weber 17

For the most part, seemed to be Gill-Subban, Hamrlik-Wisniewski, Spacek-Weber, a nice balance to me.

YEs i agree... thank goodness he (JM) didnt pair two right shots again, or is that Perry's doing?

When the panel came on and they were talking about the result of the OT that didn't seem to happen, I thought for sure I had nodded off for the OT.

That was funny and confusing for me - my brother and I were watching, neither of us speak French. When Alain comes on and announces the goal, we both were asking, "Did he say Wisniewski scored? Woo hoo?"

if this is a number 4 Dman it shows you how over rated our D is... lets get rid of all the D and switch them with Number 4s

I've been saying that for a while now. IMO the only real top 3 dman we had was Markov - that's why I'm so excited about Subban. To me Hammer and Spacek are #4's, Gorges is a marginal #3, but is probably also better suited as a #4 and Gill is a #6.

We should have dumped Hammer in the summer - even if it meant demoting him. I think we really need to try and move Spacek as well by the deadline, otherwise, we are going to be stuck with him next year for sure - and he can't be dumped to the minors, since we are stuck with his cap hit. I wonder if Edmonton would be interested. Two our salary cap problems - Gomez and Spacek are pieces Edmonton needs with their thin blueline and lack of experience at center.

That was funny and confusing for me - my brother and I were watching, neither of us speak French. When Alain comes on and announces the goal, we both were asking, "Did he say Wisniewski scored? Woo hoo?"

I usually watch on RDS and listen on CJAD. When OT started and the panel was still on, I was thinking what the hell and then the habs scored.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

habs29, i always appreciate your contributions, but...Gomez is as untouchable as Crosby and Ovechkin. Nobody's taking that contract.

ya.. we may need to pay someone 8 Mil to take him off our hands.. :(

habs29, i always appreciate your contributions, but...Gomez is as untouchable as Crosby and Ovechkin. Nobody's taking that contract.

Hey we took it. You never know - we gotta at least TRY!!!

Gomez played a great game. He has been better on this trip then Pleks has been. He will never be worth the contract, but he is improving lately. Shooting, going to the net, and skating much better.

I wouldn't get too excited about wiz.. lets watch 20 games before we decide he needs to be signed long term. He is playing on emotion right now due to the trade.

As for Laps, he signed on for another season under the impression he would be a center. He has been on the wing all season with limited ice time. I don't blame him for asking to be moved. He is an unrestricted free agent and wants a chance to play his natural position and earn a better contract. Wish him well and dream of the day we have a GM who can get a comparable player back. Its not like Laps went to the media about it.

As for Laps, he signed on for another season under the impression he would be a center. He has been on the wing all season with limited ice time. I don't blame him for asking to be moved. He is an unrestricted free agent and wants a chance to play his natural position and earn a better contract. Wish him well and dream of the day we have a GM who can get a comparable player back. Its not like Laps went to the media about it.

He's a pending RFA, actually. Still a couple years away from UFA time.

Gomez played a great game. He has been better on this trip then Pleks has been. He will never be worth the contract, but he is improving lately. Shooting, going to the net, and skating much better.

I wouldn't get too excited about wiz.. lets watch 20 games before we decide he needs to be signed long term. He is playing on emotion right now due to the trade.

He didn't go to the media - gotta give him that much credit - but he was playing like a guy who didn't want to be here.

But for a guy who wants to be a centre, he really hasn't made much of an effort to improve on the draw. he also was so frustrating. There just was never any consistency. To be a 3rd/4th liner in a RFA year, you would expect a guy to play his heart out night in, night out. Whatever happened to the 3rd/4th liners like Gainey, Jarvis, Risebrough, McPhee, Skrudland, Keane and (gulp - can't believe I'm complimenting him after the Roy fiasco) Tremblay. Whether the top guys showed up or not, all of these guys played their hearts out. They may not always played well or been successful in their efforts, but you couldn't question their effort and that in a nutshell is the issue I have with the habs 3rd/4th liners. You can understand that rookies and kids are learning to be pros and are going to have their ups and downs. however, its the vets that piss me off.

I just haven't seen consistent efforts from Moen, Darche, Laps, or even Halpern (although he probably has been the best of the bunch). I don't know if its becuase of the long leash that JM gives them vs. the rookies and young players, but for 3rd/4th liners, they just don't play with an urgency or fear of losing their jobs. In today's cap world, I would think that the 3rd/4th liners would be the one's trying to put forth a more consistent effort out of fear of being replaced by younger, cheaper players.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I've been saying that for a while now. IMO the only real top 3 dman we had was Markov - that's why I'm so excited about Subban. To me Hammer and Spacek are #4's, Gorges is a marginal #3, but is probably also better suited as a #4 and Gill is a #6.

We should have dumped Hammer in the summer - even if it meant demoting him. I think we really need to try and move Spacek as well by the deadline, otherwise, we are going to be stuck with him next year for sure - and he can't be dumped to the minors, since we are stuck with his cap hit. I wonder if Edmonton would be interested. Two our salary cap problems - Gomez and Spacek are pieces Edmonton needs with their thin blueline and lack of experience at center.

I usually watch on RDS and listen on CJAD. When OT started and the panel was still on, I was thinking what the hell and then the habs scored.

lol @ making a difference from a #3 to a #4. they play on the same duo...

lol @ making a difference from a #3 to a #4. they play on the same duo...

if Spacek and Hammer are our pair 2nd best pairing dmen and Hammer is > than Spacek, therefore Hammer is 3 and Spacek is 4. doesnt that make sense? it does to me