GDT: Pittsburgh at Montreal, Jan. 6, 1930 EST

lazy26

I'm willing to concede that some of last night's offensive struggles might have had to do with the fact the Habs were facing the #1 team in the East. Crosby and Fleury aside, that defence still is very strong. Yes, the forwards weren't all 'in it' but let's give the Pens some credit here too.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is every team's goalie looks like an allstar against the habs. They make things way too easy on goalies. Whether it'a a low shot total or high, they just don't go to the dangerous areas enough to reliably score.

This "scorers" have been invisible most of the year, Pleks, Cammi, Gionta, Gomez, Ak46 will all below the numbers they produced last year with the same coach.

I think many of us were "concerned" about our offense in November. It was primarily based on AK and Pleks being hot. We all hoped Gomez and gang would get going, but this system seems dependent on burying your chances. It doesn't seem to adapt itself to teams slumping in the old shooting percentage.

I can readily understand people finding JM's style frustrating, but I don't know why you'd blame him for the dismal offensive performance last night. Nobody was complaining about our inadequate offence in November. The issue I see isn't a 'system' per se. It's two things: first, players whose confidence is so fragile that they can't even make a tape to tape pass, don't trust their instincts, are thinking too much, and are continually hesitant to shoot the puck; and second, a depleted defence. Teams rely on the D to move the puck up ice, and they rely on the D to keep the puck in the attacking zone and kindle plays from the opposition blueline. When you subtract 3 of your top-5 defencemen, you tend to get dodgy offence.

The problem is every team's goalie looks like an allstar against the habs. They make things way too easy on goalies. Whether it'a a low shot total or high, they just don't go to the dangerous areas enough to reliably score.

This "scorers" have been invisible most of the year, Pleks, Cammi, Gionta, Gomez, Ak46 will all below the numbers they produced last year with the same coach.

That is a simplistic approach to view a more complex issue.

Martin made reference to the team not knowing and buying into the system until late in the season, so we really don't know how much that has to do with the numbers. If they wouldn't commit defensively they may have been cheating offensively allowing for better scoring opportunities.

When you drop down to the top of the hash marks in defensive coverage and then always offer support on the side boards while Gomez/Pleks/etc come back down low to offer outlets it means your offensive rushes are beginning deep inside your own zone. There are a handful of reasons that can explain the lack of scoring that would require vigorous review of gametapes. There powerplay is average now instead of elite etc etc.

Teams like the Devils were able to pull it off for 15 years because they had Brodeur who neutralized a forecheck and allowed for easier transition opportunities. Add in an elite rushing defenseman like Niedermayer and those things made it easier and even so, they still struggled offensively.

Saying they don't go to the dirty areas is the easy way out. The Penguins are a strong defensive team.

It is one of the negatives to playing a defensive style if you don't possess elite offensive talent (Malkin, Crosby).

Edited by Wamsley01

The reliability of the game stats has always ponders my mind... I for one was sure the Pens had blocked more shots than the habs (Pens 20 blocked shots where the Habs had 21) http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20102011/ES020600.HTM

... I guess i will look at this in another way...

the pens blocked approximately 50% of the habs shots, while the habs only blocked 40% of the opponents shots... Yeap lets give the Pens D credit

Edited by CoRvInA