Series Discussion: Habs vs Bruins

dlbalr

"I just saw it and I know it looks really bad, but I can assure you that is not part of who I am," said Ference. "I apologize. That is not part of my repertoire. My glove got caught up there."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5hzsSKrW9vcHtmp9bqMSn4jm0cb2Q?docId=6638192

"I did what I had to do," Recchi said. "Zee has taken a lot of heat, and I felt it was very important to get some focus elsewhere. I'm sorry if it hurt some people, but at the same time I think everybody knows my reputation for 22 years. ... I felt the need to protect our captain. It's important. That will be the end of it and you won't hear anything said by me anymore."

http://www.nesn.com/2011/03/mark-recchi-admits-comments-about-max-pacioretty-were-designed-to-take-heat-off-zdeno-chara.html

Bob Cole is supposedly a Habs fan. I can't find it written anywhere official but I've seen several message board posters claim that they have heard him admit this or that they heard this somewhere. (By the way, the "catch phrases" section of Cole's Wikipedia page is pretty funny.)

I would have to see that quote to believe it. Cole did Leaf games for 25 years, he was the Montreal Danny Gallivan.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to see that quote to believe it. Cole did Leaf games for 25 years, he was the Montreal Danny Gallivan.

I'm not sure where they're getting it from but I found a massive amount of people over at least 5 different message boards claiming that he grew up a Habs fan.

I'm not sure where they're getting it from but I found a massive amount of people over at least 5 different message boards claiming that he grew up a Habs fan.

I've heard and read the same as well. Growing up, he was a Hab fan. Now, has that changed after so many years of doing just the Leafs? That's certainly open to discussion.

I've heard and read the same as well. Growing up, he was a Hab fan. Now, has that changed after so many years of doing just the Leafs? That's certainly open to discussion.

He is from Newfoundland, so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he was as a kid.

It would be hard to maintain that loyalty doing Maple Leaf games for 25 years.

Bob Cole is supposedly a Habs fan. I can't find it written anywhere official but I've seen several message board posters claim that they have heard him admit this or that they heard this somewhere. (By the way, the "catch phrases" section of Cole's Wikipedia page is pretty funny.)

Bob Cole just gained some respect from me :1gohabs: , whoever he is...

This is a silly argument on my part but I'll post it anyway. ( dates from Wikipedia )

Mathematically I'm going to guess he's still a Habs fan at heart.

Born 1933. So he's 78 years old

Started announcing Leafs games in 1980 - 2008 = 28 years.

Let's say he started following hockey when he was 10.

1943 - 1979 he was probably a Habs fan = 36 years of fandom. ( before he started announcing Leafs games )

Let's give him a 3 extra transitional years rooting for MTL before he *might* have gone to the dark side = 39 years

Plus and extra 3 years ( 2008 - 2011 ) when he got back to MTL games = 42 years

I'm not sure that you can erase 42 years of being a Habs fan ( beginning when you were a kid ) with 31 years of announcing Toronto games.

And there you have it folks, irrefutable mathematical evidence that Bob Cole flies the flag of Montreal.

Kidding.

Edited by BrenDittero

I've heard before that Bob Cole likes the city itself. Many seem to enjoy spending time here. If you're going to attend a game, even more so work a game, there's no better place.