Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

This guy starts to feel like a shouldvebeen top10 pick.

Top-10 in the second round, sure. Top-10 overall in what was a strong draft class is a stretch though. He's a top-6 boom or bust player since he can't play a physical or defensive game. Those guys tend to fall into the second round (like Collberg did that year) or go late in the first.

Top-10 in the second round, sure. Top-10 overall in what was a strong draft class is a stretch though. He's a top-6 boom or bust player since he can't play a physical or defensive game. Those guys tend to fall into the second round (like Collberg did that year) or go late in the first.

Cant play a defensive game, how so?

As slight as he is, no one will argue he will be a big hitting checker, but to say 'he cant play' a defensive game is surprising enough for you to say.

Maybe you are just comparing him to your long lost Scandinavian cousin Jacob, who can hit and grind along the boards easier.

But, can easily see Lehkonen becoming a smart solid PK defender like a Plekanec and why couldnt he start on 3rd line two years from now (not that I have seen much of his play, but wild guess through rose-coloured...)?

As slight as he is, no one will argue he will be a big hitting checker, but to say 'he cant play' a defensive game is surprising enough for you to say.

Maybe you are just comparing him to your long lost Scandinavian cousin Jacob, who can hit and grind along the boards easier.

But, can easily see Lehkonen becoming a smart solid PK defender like a Plekanec and why couldnt he start on 3rd line two years from now (not that I have seen much of his play, but wild guess through rose-coloured...)?

If the Habs roll three offensive lines, he could be a third liner at the start. I fear his size will sort of 'pigeon-hole' him into a top six or bust role in the long haul. It's the same reservation I had about Collberg and the same one I have about Reway. Those players are probably going to be top six or bust guys as well. To be an undersized quality defensive checker like Plekanec is, you have to be elite to overcome the size/strength challenges (such as the inability to physically knock the player off the puck, strength issues when battling along the boards, etc). I don't see Lehkonen ever being elite enough at that side of the game to do that.

Perhaps I was too harsh by saying he can't play a defensive game without really finishing the thought. I'm not saying he is or will be a defensive liability, he's not clueless when it comes to that side of the game. But at the same time, I don't see him successfully being deployed as a shutdown/defensive-first player in the NHL either. If he did have that type of potential on that side of the ice on top of his offensive skills, he'd have been a surefire first rounder in my opinion.

This isn't denouncing him as a prospect by any stretch. He was safely in my top-10 picks when we did the balloting for the prospect rankings as I like his offensive potential. But in my view, it's the offence that's going to make or break him when it comes to NHL success or lack thereof.

And if he hadn't had concussion he easily could of been a 1st rounder.

No you arnt being too harsh and all you say is likely true, but seems the kid can play, defending as a small guy will always be an issue, but hope for the best.

Our CHL Previews begin with the QMJHL. Here are the East and Maritime Divisions. Each includes a scouting report of a Habs prospect.

Here is the QMJHL Maritime Division (Zach Fucale)
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/14/2014-15-qmjhl-maritime-preview/

Next is the QMJHL East (easily the best division in the Q this year) and includes Jeremy Gregoire.
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/15/2014-15-qmjhl-east-division-preview/

At 26 he's not really a prospect anymore but Andreas Engqvist is off to a strong start in the KHL this year with 3 points in his first 4 games while averaging over 19 minutes a night. If he were to have a strong season, it wouldn't be shocking to see him sign late in the year with Montreal for a last-second look or cheap depth addition (they lose his rights on July 1 no matter what). That said, there's a long way to go before that option would get considered.

Audette had a pair of assists today, his first points of the season (in Game #2). On the negative side, he is struggling at the faceoff dot, just 19/48 so far.

In international play...

Engqvist: 1 goal, 2 PIMS, 4 shots, 12/14 faceoffs (85.7%), 3 hits, 19:04 TOI (Line 1)

Lehkonen: 0 points, 1 shot, 13:01 TOI (Line 2)

Nattinen: 1 assist, +1, 1 shot, 1 hit, 25% faceoffs, 16:59 TOI (Line 2)

Lernout picked up his first point of the year last night in a 5-2 win.

Reway had three PP assists in the first period in today's win (also 5-2). He now has five points in five games to start the season. A random note, the top scorer in the Czech League right now is 43 year old Martin Rucinsky.

Nikita Scherbak traded to the Everett Silvertips.

Not one of the teams I wanted him to be traded too, I would have rather seen him go to a true contender.... but at least Everett will make the playoffs, can't say the same about Saskatoon.

Scherbak in 1st game has 2 goals, first one he ripped to top corner on PP.

Timmins picked a good time to visit Everett tonight and see his 1st pick playing awesome in first game back and was interviewed between periods.

He said Habs mgmt. was pleasantly surprised by Scherbak's training camp and he developed good chemistry with Galchenyuk.

He mentioned Scherbak has grown a lot this year and is still a bit awkward at the moment "bit like Bambi on the ice".

Koberstein gets 1st USHL fight out of way in 2nd game.

(Scherbak gets assist on tying goal in 3rd)

Scherbak with his 4th goal and 1a (6pts in 3 games) beat up on Portland.

Bozon's team gets smoked by Learnout's team and not doing so well, will they be trading him around new year? Or all depending on Reinhart coming back carrying team or not?

Fucale was 1st star in 26 save win.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker