Habs acquire Nokelainen, Stafford from Phoenix for Trotter & 7th rounder

Commandant

We were at 48.... the Claim on Betts took us to 49, claim on Woywitka back to 48.

Sign Callahan = 49

Voiding Betts took us back down to 48.

So this trade should take us back to 49.

Do late season contracts to junior/NCAA players count against the limit?

If they play in the NHL, then yes. If not (as was the case most recently with Stejskal), no as the contract is effective for the following season.

So Montreal isn't in too rough of shape for signing prospects then?

So Montreal isn't in too rough of shape for signing prospects then?

As long as they're not intending to play them in the NHL for a game or two to burn a year off the entry level contract (like NCAA'ers such as Da Costa, Miele and Frattin did last year), there should be no problems.

Maybe this will allow the Habs to roll 4 lines finally. And adding a D in Hamilton is much needed. Good trade seeing how Trotter did clear waivers a few weeks back. Now the Hamilton youth will have to step up to score goals, instead of relying on Trotter for production.

Do late season contracts to junior/NCAA players count against the limit?

Not sure.

But I do know that the clock on late season contracts to NCAA/JR guys contracts only start if they play an NHL game. Even if sent to the AHL their contract years don't start ticking unless they play one NHL game. So my best guess is that they won't count on the limit til the next year if this is the case,

Maybe this will allow the Habs to roll 4 lines finally. And adding a D in Hamilton is much needed. Good trade seeing how Trotter did clear waivers a few weeks back. Now the Hamilton youth will have to step up to score goals, instead of relying on Trotter for production.

Palushaj and Engqvist back to Hamilton, plus Louis Leblanc being healthy, might actually be a net increase in offence vs Blunden/Trotter

The Blunden move excites me more than this. Can't wait for White to return.

I cannot wait for White to be back either, he is the kind of player we need to get the team excited and moving.

Let's hope that the evaluation on Trotter was right. If he goes to Phoenix and becomes another Grabovski, Gauthier will look awfuly stupid.

Anyhow, obvious Nokalainen isn't a new Selane, even though he is still quite young (25) and has good size. Obviously, the idea is to use him at center on the 4th line. He is right-handed (much needed), good on face-offs and able to play on the PK unit. I think that he is a much needed upgrade on Engqvist. He might be part of the solution, but certainly not THE solution.

Let's wait and see.

There's 29 GMs who agree with the evaluation of trotter. If they thought he as another grabovski they would have grabbed him on waivers.

Question:

Is *this* supposed to turn things around? Because if it is, then I have to question what Gauthier is thinking. Our issues do not begin or end with a fourth line. The reside in passion and in a somewhat depleted defence that seems to be haemorrhaging Gorges by the minute.

• Upvote 1

There's 29 GMs who agree with the evaluation of trotter. If they thought he as another grabovski they would have grabbed him on waivers.

And if he does it would suck, because he didn't have the attitude issues and all that... but we needed a fourth line center who can win a faceoff and throw his weight around a bit and Hamilton needed another d to help them compete which will help them develop.

If he turns into a great player I will be very happy for him because he took the long road, but I can't be mad about our return. Unless our guy is a bust of course.

Question:

Is *this* supposed to turn things around? Because if it is, then I have to question what Gauthier is thinking. Our issues do not begin or end with a fourth line. The reside in passion and in a somewhat depleted defence that seems to be haemorrhaging Gorges by the minute.

And who give passion? Fourth liners ignite teams, hits, high pressure exc...

And who give passion? Fourth liners ignite teams, hits, high pressure exc...

Yes, they can certainly contribute to that. Personally, I think the issues on this team are top-down, and not the other way, though.

• Upvote 1

I think this is a great move actually. The Habs have been playing with three lines for 7 games. Maybe it's time they use a FULL lineup. With that being said, I'm looking at management recently, and they've let so many useful players go. Metro, Moore, Laps, Grabs to name a few.

The Habs are in this position of relying on inexperienced D because of the moves they've made in the past 3-4 years. They almost won the cup, yet almost isn't good enough. They had the whole Koivu vs. Ribiero a few years back, and now have neither. They had the AK-Grabovski-SK line... which I loved, yet only gave them a few games because they didn't get a chance to show what they can do.

You have to adapt, you have to bend with the wind, you have to be like water as Bruce Lee said, and management hasn't done that, whenever you mold someone into a system - you inevitably remove the passion and spontaneity of which makes a good player. That is why we haven't had a young forward break out since 1995.

You can make the arguments that Plekanec broke out, and that was lucky, and playing with Kovalev helped him.

Max Pac and Subban are awesome, yet I don't think they make cases for break out artists on the Habs.

I'm done defending JM for sure, and I'll wait and see on Gautier. So far it's not looking good. Gio and Gomez are two years older than when they first got here. The league has changed, Montreal hasn't.

At least Toronto went with the rebuild, and now their lineup is pretty young. It's a stretch to say they'll go under like last year.........

The system sucks, and I'm officially a non supporter of "the system". They require flow, spontaneity, chemistry, creativity and adaptability, not stiffness and apathy. And blaming Diaz, Emelin and Weber is not fair.

How many players actually LOVED Montreal yet we let them walk or trade them?

Koivu

Kovalev

Ribiero

Mueller as Coach

Lapierre

(maybe Guy Boucher too!!!)

I like Cammi and Gio yet.... now it seems that letting those players go was a mistake. Koivu > Gomez. Ribs and Grabs two centers we lost. Okay fine, we have Pleks and Eller.

Oh well.. enough romanticizing the past with such lines as AK-Grabs-SK or Kovalev-Pleks-AK or Pacthes-Koivu-Kovalev.

With so many sideways moves in the last 5-6 years, I can see why the Habs are in this current predicament.

I hope they start winning soon. And prove this post wrong.

EDIT: And one more rant... remember Gainey saying he wanted winners on the team, then revamped and brought Gomez Gio and Cammi? Well they didn't win, and I had more love for Kovy and Koivu than I do the high priced Gomez and his companions.

I'm usually a very positive person by nature, yet I haven't seen many positive this year, except for the youth, who are only playing because of injuries.

If this move works out, it will be one part of the answer. A decent fourth line is important in today's parity-driven NHL. Remember when we brought in Moore, what a difference that made in solidifying our overall team game?

But the fundamental problem - contrary to the pessimism of NaturalMystic and a few others - is a simply a dismal power-play. This is caused by the unreplaced losses of Markov and Wisniewski; and the answer to that has to be found through:

1. Some miraculous internal reconfiguation that creates a PP quarterback out of thin air, OR

2. by a trade/UFA signing, OR

3. by raising our overall game enough that we can survive the weak PP and stay afloat until Markov/Campoli return. This move has the potential to contribute to scenario (3), but almost certainly not enough.

Yes, they can certainly contribute to that. Personally, I think the issues on this team are top-down, and not the other way, though.

If you're worried about top-down, then you'll be happy to know this deal freed up some cap space so that perhaps a more impact player can be brought in at some point. I haven't done the full numbers yet but with the trade and demotions, Montreal's cap space went from ~750k to ~1.3 mil.

By the way, I do have thoughts on the trade but we're putting a piece together for the site for Tuesday to go over the detail with a fine tune comb as always. My thoughts will be in that article.

• Upvote 1

Question:

Is this the solution to all the problems? Of course not.... but its a start to addressing some of the needs.

Is this the solution to all the problems? Of course not.... but its a start to addressing some of the needs.

Maybe you get a centerman that can actually win a draw, and maybe they did get another defenseman to shore up Hamilton, but most of all they got a diversion before someone sees fit to roll out the guillotine.

I can't believe this thread has gone on this long with nobody bringing up the fact that we just traded for the guy whom Perezhogin hacked in the face.

I totally forgot about that!

I can't believe this thread has gone on this long with nobody bringing up the fact that we just traded for the guy whom Perezhogin hacked in the face.

I am glad you brought that up. Perezhogin was another name in the long list of squandered assets.

I didn't bring it up here but I implied it in the Hamilton thread...plus, it was mentioned on the site.

I am glad you brought that up. Perezhogin was another name in the long list of squandered assets.

On a 44 million dollar cap; Perezhogin got an offer of 3 million per season to go to Russia. He didn't want to leave and asked if the Habs would match the offer. The Habs quite simply didn't have the cap space to give a third liner (at the time) 3 million per season. It didn't make any sense.

I don't know how Gainey could have gone about that any differently than he did.

On a 44 million dollar cap; Perezhogin got an offer of 3 million per season to go to Russia. He didn't want to leave and asked if the Habs would match the offer. The Habs quite simply didn't have the cap space to give a third liner (at the time) 3 million per season. It didn't make any sense. I don't know how Gainey could have gone about that any differently than he did.

Although we did pay just Cole 4.5M+ to play on the bottom lines.. :)

I agree with you, it doesn't make any sense to pay a steep price for someone with a limited role in the organisation.