Dec. 17, Devils vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

I hate to point out that we had that guy in Maxime Lapierre. I just don't understand why this organization has been in such a rush to toss away perfectly good 3rd/4th liners. It's puzzling.

Max couldn't accept being a fourth liner and demanded 3rd line ice time or to be traded.

I hate to point out that we had that guy in Maxime Lapierre. I just don't understand why this organization has been in such a rush to toss away perfectly good 3rd/4th liners. It's puzzling.

Guys like Lapierre are traded all the time. If his name was Max Rock, nobody would be talking about him.

I agree that Lappy was no big deal, EXCEPT that this organization has had a hell of a time constructing its fourth line year after year. Hell, we pissed away a 2nd-round pick on Moore, only to let him walk; Lappy, one of the league's prime agitators and a centre with size to boot, we dealt away for nothing; Halpern we happily cut loose; etc.. It's fine to say that these guys are interchangeable parts, but we've gone through 1/3 of a season with a grossly inadequate 4th line. So maybe they aren't so interchangeable after all.

Which is exacltly why I suggested last spring that we sign a guy like White to a long term 5 to 7 year deal. Look at teams like the wings who have had role players like maltby or draper for around 15 years.

I agree that Lappy was no big deal, EXCEPT that this organization has had a hell of a time constructing its fourth line year after year. Hell, we pissed away a 2nd-round pick on Moore, only to let him walk; Lappy, one of the league's prime agitators and a centre with size to boot, we dealt away for nothing; Halpern we happily cut loose; etc.. It's fine to say that these guys are interchangeable parts, but we've gone through 1/3 of a season with a grossly inadequate 4th line. So maybe they aren't so interchangeable after all.

Which is exacltly why I suggested last spring that we sign a guy like White to a long term 5 to 7 year deal. Look at teams like the wings who have had role players like maltby or draper for around 15 years.

That's a good call, actually. A White would not command huge money, so if you believe he is a strong role player, why NOT lock him up? Makes sense.

Financially it would also allow us to lock him up cheaper and it sends a good message to the team that the blood and guts guys are also seen as essential to management.

This is also why I was pissed that the didn't commit to Gorges. While I dont have actual knowledge of what gorges was looking for, I'd be willing to bet he would have take. Something around $3m for a long-term 6-7 year deal.

That's a good call, actually. A White would not command huge money, so if you believe he is a strong role player, why NOT lock him up? Makes sense.

I like White, but he's young and has all of 1/2 a season of NHL experience.

I don't see the upside in locking him up to a long term 7 or 8 year deal when he's merely gonna be an RFA for his next contract. He can be locked up then once he proves more.

I also don't expect the cost of a fourth liner to go through the roof in the meantime.