A coaching question concerning Guy Boucher

REV-G

I read in the Gazette that Pat Hickey said Montreal might get another crack at Guy Boucher because he is on thin ice in Tampa. Tampa has a young and smart GM and has some very good players. They hired Boucher and he brought his coaching staff that he was familiar with along with him. Goaltending has probably been their archiles heel this year.

So here then is my hypothetical question. If Boucher gets fired from Tampa it will probably mean that they did not make the playoffs. So if he's fired would we want to take a chance on a coach who did exceptionally well in the AHL but did poorly and was fired after his first season coaching millionaries in the NHL? What do you think?

I read in the Gazette that Pat Hickey said Montreal might get another crack at Guy Boucher because he is on thin ice in Tampa. Tampa has a young and smart GM and has some very good players. They hired Boucher and he brought his coaching staff that he was familiar with along with him. Goaltending has probably been their archiles heel this year.

So here then is my hypothetical question. If Boucher gets fired from Tampa it will probably mean that they did not make the playoffs. So if he's fired would we want to take a chance on a coach who did exceptionally well in the AHL but did poorly and was fired after his first season coaching millionaries in the NHL? What do you think?

I always doubted that Boucher is the superman a lot of people around here made him out to be - and this year in Tampa proves those doubts to have been well-founded. That being said, YES, I would scoop him up in an instant. French, young, now with two full seasons of NHL experience. A no-brainer.

• Upvote 1

Sure, if he's available, which doesn't sound Yzerman like, why not? I'll say this, that deranged, psychopath expression he get's on his face looks like something a veteran player might laugh at. I could picture someone like Jeremy Roenick say "dude, pour yourself a chamomile"

No way, he has a better team now and is barely ahead of the habs.

His system is even more boring than JM. We all saw how that turned out.

They need a fresh start with new management, new coaching staff and philosophy.

I always doubted that Boucher is the superman a lot of people around here made him out to be - and this year in Tampa proves those doubts to have been well-founded. That being said, YES, I would scoop him up in an instant. French, young, now with two full seasons of NHL experience. A no-brainer.

I agree 100%. Boucher isn't the saviour he's been portrayed as, but he's a good coach and now has NHL experience. I'd hire him.

I'd hire him as well. Usually, we are the ones firing the inexperienced coach to see him succeed elsewhere.

In his defence though, Goaltending wasn't the only issue, for most of the season Tamp had a worse defense then we do. Yzerman did a pretty crappy job in getting help on defence and not having a plan B in case old man roloson started showing his age.

Win or lose, Cunneyworth's coaching at least makes the games entertaining to watch. I hope we keep him...Boucher as an assistant would be great though.

There's no way they bring Cunneyworth back. Honestly, if I had to keep one of Gauthier or Cunneyworth, it would be cunneworth. My greater fear is that Gauthier will be here next year.

Boucher's problem is that he created around 12 powerplay strategies and would cycle through them all and thought nobody would ever catch on. They did.

If Montreal hired Boucher, I'd hope he picked a veteran coach to sit with him like Robinson to remind him that opposing coaches are smart enough to watch more than just one video of a teams powerplay.

I would want him over some of the other mentioned French options in the countless threads about the next habs coach, but will still prefer Roy.

Vingeault may get fired as well f the Canucks make an early exit in the playoffs and I would hire him over Boucher.

Vigneault > Boucher. No question in my mind. He did a fantastic job with us the first time around despite having a garbarge squad and he has done a fine job with the Canucks. I'd scoop him up with enthusiasm.

And I COULD NOT AGREE MORE with Commandant's sentiment above. WINNING is what counts. I don't give a rat's ass about style points.

• Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong guys winning is what its all about. I just think that if Cunneyworth had a healthy line up, his up tempo game would provide many wins, and also be exciting to watch. In my other post I just meant that if where gonna loose like we have all year, at least its exciting. I had no problem with JM's system when it was working, the problem is he didnt adjust. Trapping a healthy Pittsburgh or the 2010 Caps makes sense cause your not gonna out score them, but trapping against Toronto and Carolina...etc made and makes no sense. I would prefer to win 6-5 every game, to hell with stats.. Seriously though Price is a good goalie, and if you can on average score 3 goals a game, your gonna win 90% of those games.

Vigneault > Boucher. No question in my mind. He did a fantastic job with us the first time around despite having a garbarge squad and he has done a fine job with the Canucks. I'd scoop him up with enthusiasm.

And I COULD NOT AGREE MORE with Commandant's sentiment above. WINNING is what counts. I don't give a rat's ass about style points.

I agree totally. If it came down to Vigneault and Boucher I'd take Vingneault in a minute. If we ever did sign Vigneault and Boucher had been fired, I wonder if Boucher would be considered for an assistant coach position or does he legitimately need to be the head guy somewhere at some level, not necessarily just the NHL?

The team has clearly had a talent problem not a coaching problem.

I think both AV and Julien are really good coaches.

I don't know how the Buedreax thing went down but PG should have called that guy within an hour of his firing in Washington.