Who does Plekanec play with?

Trizzak

1. The Cammalleri-Bourque trade took 3 months complete. That doesn't seem very reactive to me.
  2. As far as I am aware, there has been no reputable suggestion that Gauthier had a shot at Baertschi. This is like saying we could have had Nashville's 1st round pick for Gill instead of a 2nd and Blake Geoffrion.

Just because you are unhappy with the return doesn't mean a better return was available.

If the return was not available, he should not have traded him right away. I tried selling my boat in the fall. Some guy offered me half. I said no and waited until spring and got what I wanted for it. I ALSO ADVERTIZED

when did cammy score 40?

If the return was not available, he should not have traded him right away. I tried selling my boat in the fall. Some guy offered me half. I said no and waited until spring and got what I wanted for it. I ALSO ADVERTIZED

fair enough on waiting, i agree i wouldnt have done the deal. No way to know he didnt advertise though, GM who said he wasnt told could have been on the no trade list.

OK 39. I'm not trying to say he is Rick Nash. I tried to give Bourque a chance, but I just don't like his effort levels. He is a good penalty killer and he can play defensively, and even when he does not score, I wish he would put forth an honest effort. I will forgive him. I am a fickle fan!

OK 39. I'm not trying to say he is Rick Nash. I tried to give Bourque a chance, but I just don't like his effort levels. He is a good penalty killer and he can play defensively, and even when he does not score, I wish he would put forth an honest effort. I will forgive him. I am a fickle fan!

I hate Bourque so much. I call him the Natural Born Tanker

I hate Bourque so much. I call him the Natural Born Tanker

he was pretty much hated by everyone in Calgary and having see him play in Calgary, its why i was so dead against the deal. Even if we couldn't move him for a better deal at the deadline (which IMO is pretty unlikely) I'd rather have had Cammy's $6M for two more years, then have to put up with 4 more year of Bourque at the $3.3M or $3.5M that he is getting.

I'm thinking Plek would look pretty good with Ray Whitney and Nail Yakapov. Whitney is awesome for an old guy. Look at his numbers. Prolly get him for 2 mill

Whitney will only play if he wants to, and at his age he'll probably only sign where he wants to.

Is Montreal really a desirable destination for someone his age?

Edit: But yes, Nail would be nice.

Gionta needs a top 6 spot (though not necessarily with Plek)

Does he? Or does he take a 3rd line spot?

Unless we get Grig, I don't see Desharnais moving to the wing...

Gionta is undesirable (to me) on either of the top two lines right now. If the Habs draft, sign or trade for the offensive depth to push Gionta to a 3rd line/PP role, is that really so bad? Is he really the kind of guy to dog it if he's not getting top line minutes?

And what kind of influence could he have on Leblanc? Bourque? (Wishful thinking, I know).

Just keep him away from Desharnais and Plekanec!

Its more that it is proven that he doesn't have chemistry with Pleks and if the two and a half man line continues to work next season... i mean I wouldn't want to break it up. But even if we do Gio and DD can't play on the same line, to small. So, we should try him out with Pleks I think but I mean if he continues to not work with him... what else are we going to do?

Honestly unless we draft an 18 year old who can play next season, you're looking at:

Centers: Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller

Wingers: Pacioretty, Cole, Gionta, Bourque, Leblanc, Palushaj

In this case, you have to run three scoring lines but use the Plek like as a shutdown line, possibly with Leblanc and Palushaj. Terrible use of Plek but maybe Leblanc and Palushaj start producing. This leaves Gionta and Bourque with Eller as good god we suck at forward. Honestly, if you don't break up the top line (which I think you should. Cole will likely score with any center so put him with Plek. Patches and DD can have Gionta, who cares about the size) and you don't want Gionta and Plek together you're left with incredibly limiting options to the nine.

Now, if you draft Grig or Galy and move DD to the wing, you're looking at:

Centers: Plekanec, Grig/Galy, Eller

Wingers: Pacioretty, Cole, Gionta, DD, Bourque, Leblanc

Certainly more appealing. Plek can play with DD and Patches. Grig/Galy plays with Cole and Gionta. Eller, Bourque and Leblanc form a solid third line.

Its more that it is proven that he doesn't have chemistry with Pleks and if the two and a half man line continues to work next season... i mean I wouldn't want to break it up. But even if we do Gio and DD can't play on the same line, to small. So, we should try him out with Pleks I think but I mean if he continues to not work with him... what else are we going to do?

Trading Plekanec or Desharnais is a painful but required move sometime.

This is why I like the idea of drafting Forsberg. We have Pleks and DD as proven top 6 centers with Eller and Leblanc who also have that potential.

Are there any good wingers on the FA market this summer? Around how much money will we have to spend, counting Price's big raise?

Trading Plekanec or Desharnais is a painful but required move sometime.

I still think DD eventually moves to wing.

This is why I like the idea of drafting Forsberg. We have Pleks and DD as proven top 6 centers with Eller and Leblanc who also have that potential.

Are there any good wingers on the FA market this summer? Around how much money will we have to spend, counting Price's big raise?

Way too much up in the air to know what we have to spend, but Price and Subban are priority 1 and 2, then we need a defenceman and a winger (how you order those I don't know).  I personally think D is a bigger need because i think our draftee will be playing in the top 9 or Gallagher or Kristo will win a top 9 role.

Way too much up in the air to know what we have to spend, but Price and Subban are priority 1 and 2, then we need a defenceman and a winger (how you order those I don't know). I personally think D is a bigger need because i think our draftee will be playing in the top 9 or Gallagher or Kristo will win a top 9 role.

We have too many D on the team right now to add another. The next GM will have to clear out bodies before something is done. As for the wing, the team is definitely hurting and I think both Gallagher and Kristo play a full year in the AHL but it's a good time to let the coach try to juggle things. There is really only one hole on the wing and it gets filled if DD moves to it. After that it's about creating a solid bottom six that you can win with.

Whoever the Habs draft won't be playing centre in 2012-13. He might play centre after that, but if you want to compete in this league you can't have a teenage top 9 C. Boston put Seguin on the wing and that's ideal for Grigorenko or whoever (Galchenyuk, Faksa, Forsberg, etc) if they are to play in the NHL at all next season.

Personally, I think the 2 and a half men line should have been broken up by now to see if Desharnais can handle a greater role without the insulation of having the team's best two wingers. Both Pacioretty and Cole were doing great this year before Desharnais was their centre, they've simply continued to be strong while DD has had his numbers go up. What would the Habs be like if Bourque was the LW on that line and Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta was a line? Plekanec and Gionta are proven 100 foot players, great on both ends of the ice, and Pacioretty has shown he can handle playing against top lines in the past as well. I think such a setup would maximize the Habs' potential going forward... and I also think Plekanec is a better PP option than Desharnais is, and the 2 and a 1/2 Men line shouldn't be used on the top PP unit. When Plex was there for those couple of games on the west coast with no DD the PP looked electric.

saskhab, at this point I have zero confidence in Bourque and see him as a third line guy who can sometimes score for you who gets delegated to the fourth line when he's sucking and only moved up to a top six role if there's an injury. Basically where Kostitsyn was. I think he'd suck the life out of a line missing passes all of the time.

I believe in the concept of duos and DD-Patches being a duo is fine. It's just you don't need DD to be the center.

Also, Seguin played wing for the Bruins because the Bruins were absolutely stacked at center. There was no room for him with Bergeron and Krejci.

i see Eller and Plekanec running into each on the ice over and over and just dont see moving a natural centre to the wing as the easy solution.

And both Plekanec and Desharnais are signed to very fair contracts and are just about the most attractable and tradable players they got, if going for an upgrade to an All-Star calibre forward on July 1st.

If San Jose misses playoffs, Getzlaf may be a swap to make, or as i have said before Stastny, would be a swap i would also consider.

On the backend, i, myself, would leave as it is, but Habs will likely will sign 1 more, and i like Bryan Allen or Shane OBrien (or the like type of d-man). So maybe swap Plekanec/Weber and X for Stastny and Obrien?

saskhab, at this point I have zero confidence in Bourque and see him as a third line guy who can sometimes score for you who gets delegated to the fourth line when he's sucking and only moved up to a top six role if there's an injury. Basically where Kostitsyn was. I think he'd suck the life out of a line missing passes all of the time.

I believe in the concept of duos and DD-Patches being a duo is fine. It's just you don't need DD to be the center.

Also, Seguin played wing for the Bruins because the Bruins were absolutely stacked at center. There was no room for him with Bergeron and Krejci.

I agree that Bourque is a Kostitsyn type... which is why this whole series of trades is infuriating to me... Eller & Kostitsyn actually were great together at the start of the year getting weaker matchups, there was chemistry there. Eller & Bourque is an unknown.

I understand the concept of duos. I'm just moving things around to make sense for matchup purposes: I look for power vs. power matchups because that's what good teams in the NHL look for. Plekanec has been very good in that role when lined up beside good wingers (Cammalleri & Kostitsyn is an example). Basically Plekanec's line should be able to defend first but move the puck up the ice, Desharnais' should be to finish and Eller's should go up against weaker competition and dominate them at both ends of the ice if possible. Basically, I want talent on 3 lines but I want it set up to generate the best results for the team as a whole. Right now the Habs are basically neglecting matching forward lines and relying entirely on Gorges-Subban to defend... it's not working.