Scouting Department News and Notes

Commandant

It seems as if Kinsella also recruited Pacioretty back when he was with Sioux City back in the day. He also spent a bit of time in the Islanders' scouting department.

Ah so he does know Jankowski....

More scouts in the Mid-West :surrender: haha.. really? Hope this news don't break mainstream media.

Meh, news is news. There's nothing wrong with adding to the scouting department - as long as they're following Timmins' strategy which appears to be more directed towards long-term projects in the later rounds, they may as well get extra eyes in there. If you can get one who is well respected for what he's done in the past as Kinsella is, even better. Interestingly enough, he was also an assistant coach.

Meh, news is news. There's nothing wrong with adding to the scouting department - as long as they're following Timmins' strategy which appears to be more directed towards long-term projects in the later rounds, they may as well get extra eyes in there. If you can get one who is well respected for what he's done in the past as Kinsella is, even better. Interestingly enough, he was also an assistant coach.

With all the success of USA hockey, seems a very smart move. Why do Habs not seem to have good luck in Scandinavia? lack of scouts there? Who was last top 9 Swede for Habs? It wasnt Naslund was it? Although it seems that long, i may be missing/forgetting 1, but if look at this draft there must be a couple dozen Nordic kids.

Or is it just random luck to be missing out due to low number of actual picks the Habs have had? (e.g. no trading of any upcoming expendable UFAs for picks at deadline?)

Considering the success Jankowski has had in finding Gallagher, Dietz, MacMillan, who look like good prospects, and that his job description is currently to cover "Western Canada and the Western US" giving us an extra set of eyes and letting him concentrate on a smaller territory seems like a good thing to me.

Also Like I said above "it begins"... we already know there are more scouts coming. This is probably the first of half a dozen hires or more...

With all the success of USA hockey, seems a very smart move. Why do Habs not seem to have good luck in Scandinavia? lack of scouts there? Who was last top 9 Swede for Habs? It wasnt Naslund was it? Although it seems that long, i may be missing/forgetting 1, but if look at this draft there must be a couple dozen Nordic kids.

I'd say Niklas Sundstrom was the last top-9 Swedish forward. Him or Andreas Dackell who was a regular 3rd liner.

For anyone wondering, this is how the scouting situation shapes up at the moment:

Frank Jay: Ontario and cross-check

Serge Boisvert: Quebec and Eastern USA

Elmer Benning: Western Canada

Ryan Jankowski: Western Canada and Western USA

Mike McCann: Ontario

William A. Berglund: Eastern USA

Pat Westrum: Western USA

Hannu Laine: Finland

Christer Rockstrom: Europe

Bobby Kinsella; Midwest USA

For anyone wondering, this is how the scouting situation shapes up at the moment:

Frank Jay: Ontario and cross-check

Serge Boisvert: Quebec and Eastern USA

Elmer Benning: Western Canada

Ryan Jankowski: Western Canada and Western USA

Mike McCann: Ontario

William A. Berglund: Eastern USA

Pat Westrum: Western USA

Hannu Laine: Finland

Christer Rockstrom: Europe

Bobby Kinsella; Midwest USA

Add Timmins to that list as well.....

I think we definitely need more in Europe, Ontario, and Quebec

I didn't want to add him as he's more of a cross-checker, he doesn't specifically focus on one area. I'd like to see them mine the QMJHL a bit more so they can avoid signing the Mayer's and Lefebvre's of the world in the future. In general, I think more of an international presence is required as well at both the amateur/pro levels, only Rockstrom covers the pro levels out there. With the Habs looking at professional free agents somewhat regularly (Lahti, Engqvist, Diaz, linked to Brunner), I'd like to see another scout looking at the top leagues.

So 2 in Ontario, 2 in WHL and 1 in Quebec. I would like to see all 3 of these areas beefed up as well.

I'd say Niklas Sundstrom was the last top-9 Swedish forward. Him or Andreas Dackell who was a regular 3rd liner.

thanks, bout what i thought, maybe bout time for a Forsberg?

thanks, bout what i thought, maybe bout time for a Forsberg?

He just screams MPS to me... of everyone, Yak, Grigs, Gally, Murray... he is the one I'm most iffy about. Even more then Grigs (I'm starting to wonder more and more how much mono and the ankle was it? injury he had played into his inconsistencies/poor playoffs.)

• Upvote 1

He just screams MPS to me... of everyone, Yak, Grigs, Gally, Murray... he is the one I'm most iffy about. Even more then Grigs (I'm starting to wonder more and more how much mono and the ankle was it? injury he had played into his inconsistencies/poor playoffs.)

Yah you could be bang on bout Forsberg and Grigo..,? but he is just top swede and just noting that Habs havent drafted a top swede in a long time.

Yah you could be bang on bout Forsberg and Grigo..,? but he is just top swede and just noting that Habs havent drafted a top swede in a long time.

Take Henrik Samuelsson in the second round... not quite a Swede but close enough... and has the willingness to play a little (or sometimes a lot) dirty and to fight like Sutter.

Two birds, one stone here.

Take Henrik Samuelsson in the second round... not quite a Swede but close enough... and has the willingness to play a little (or sometimes a lot) dirty and to fight like Sutter.

Two birds, one stone here.

Samuelsson would be the type of player we need here. A burr in the side of opposition. Is Samuelsson a 33rd overall type of pick though? Many have him going late 2nd, early 3rd.

You know there is always a late 1st round projection who falls. I wonder who that i8s going to be this year?

Personally I would love to see the team use the 33rd to grab a kid like Brendan Gaunce, but if he is gone then for me it is Tanner Pearson or Samuelsson. Gaunce is still my top choice though although I don;t see him as a center in the NHL.

Gaunce will be long, long gone by 32. He'll be gone before pick 20.

Samuelsson, you need to look at the publication date of the rankings.

Early in the season he's a first rounder.

When he struggles in Sweden he drops.

When he goes to Edmonton and plays well, and then is awesome in the WHL playoffs and Mem Cup he rises back to late 1st/early 2nd where he was before.

Problem is that Samuelsson isn't even ranked as 2nd rounder anymore. His stock dropped considerably this year and he finished his season ranked 75th among NA skaters.

Didn't realize Gaunce jumped that high to being a top 15 pick

Problem is that Samuelsson isn't even ranked as 2nd rounder anymore. His stock dropped considerably this year and he finished his season ranked 75th among NA skaters.

Didn't realize Gaunce jumped that high to being a top 15 pick

Gaunce and Samuelsson will go mid-late 1st round, 20th -25th i bet. Samuelsson to Canucks at 26th would seem a natural fit and unlikely to still be around at 32nd.

Gaunce and Samuelsson will go mid-late 1st round, 20th -25th i bet. Samuelsson to Canucks at 26th would seem a natural fit and unlikely to still be around at 32nd.

Samuelsson is currently ranked 75th however in NA skaters.If he goes at 26th then that is a major jump

Samuelsson is currently ranked 75th however in NA skaters.If he goes at 26th then that is a major jump

I would be very shocked to see Samuelsson as a third round pick. Gaunce I've seen a lot of and I have a feeling he'll be a better NHL player than people are projecting him. Felt the same about Skinner and Henrique (Commandant can vouch if he remembers).