Scouting Department News and Notes

Commandant

I would be very shocked to see Samuelsson as a third round pick. Gaunce I've seen a lot of and I have a feeling he'll be a better NHL player than people are projecting him. Felt the same about Skinner and Henrique (Commandant can vouch if he remembers).

Gaunce is a kid I have liked from what I have heard (not seen). Looks like he'll go mid 1st round however so that is just not going to happen.

Gaunce is a kid I have liked from what I have heard (not seen). Looks like he'll go mid 1st round however so that is just not going to happen.

Timmins aint scared to trade up or down on draft day, so i wouldnt rule out any prospect, he may see Gaunce as undervaled and if still available at 20 he may try and swing a deal?

Timmins aint scared to trade up or down on draft day, so i wouldnt rule out any prospect, he may see Gaunce as undervaled and if still available at 20 he may try and swing a deal?

I think another team will end up acquiring him and enjoying his services. If we had a better season point wise I think he would have been the target.

That said, if Timmins feels the 33rd and 51st picks would be better used for one pick between 15-25 I think we could see a two seconds for a first swap. It would take an excellent player though since we could really beef up our prospect pool for the future in this draft. We have 3rd Overall, 33rd Overall, 51st Overall, 64th Overall, 94th Overall and 154th Overall. Unless we trade for a few more high picks (Weber would be good for this) we probably can't afford to convert our seconds into one pick.

I think another team will end up acquiring him and enjoying his services. If we had a better season point wise I think he would have been the target.

That said, if Timmins feels the 33rd and 51st picks would be better used for one pick between 15-25 I think we could see a two seconds for a first swap. It would take an excellent player though since we could really beef up our prospect pool for the future in this draft. We have 3rd Overall, 33rd Overall, 51st Overall, 64th Overall, 94th Overall and 154th Overall. Unless we trade for a few more high picks (Weber would be good for this) we probably can't afford to convert our seconds into one pick.

NJ Devils wiil for sure forgo their 1st pick as it will be either 29th or 30th and if need to give up one 1st round pick (for Kovalchuk contract penalty) 29th or 30th would be it. Therefore Habs will be picking 32nd-50th-etc. Not likely a big diff; but, 32nd instead of 33rd is bit of a bonus for sure.

Eeven if Samuelsson is gone, should be a very similar type/skilled player to be available at 32nd and only a bit worse at 50th/63rd, so should be a sweet haul for 1st time sine 2007, whether trade up, down or not at all..

Problem is that Samuelsson isn't even ranked as 2nd rounder anymore. His stock dropped considerably this year and he finished his season ranked 75th among NA skaters.

Didn't realize Gaunce jumped that high to being a top 15 pick

Your main problem is that you are using NHL CS rankings, which are bullshit.

Use McKeen's; Hockeyprospect.com, ISS, and FutureConsiderations.ca

An almagamation of those sites has proven to be far, far more accurate than NHL Central Scouting.

I'm 100% positive that Samuelsson will NOT be a third round pick.

I would be very shocked to see Samuelsson as a third round pick. Gaunce I've seen a lot of and I have a feeling he'll be a better NHL player than people are projecting him. Felt the same about Skinner and Henrique (Commandant can vouch if he remembers).

Yeah you were right on both of those guys.

NJ Devils wiil for sure forgo their 1st pick as it will be either 29th or 30th and if need to give up one 1st round pick (for Kovalchuk contract penalty) 29th or 30th would be it. Therefore Habs will be picking 32nd-50th-etc. Not likely a big diff; but, 32nd instead of 33rd is bit of a bonus for sure.

Eeven if Samuelsson is gone, should be a very similar type/skilled player to be available at 32nd and only a bit worse at 50th/63rd, so should be a sweet haul for 1st time sine 2007, whether trade up, down or not at all..

2010 looks amazing right now.

Tinordi, Ellis, Gallagher all top prospects.... traded for Bournival and Holland, so that makes 5 guys out of that draft, then you have Macmillan developping well.

Your main problem is that you are using NHL CS rankings, which are bullshit.

Use McKeen's; Hockeyprospect.com, ISS, and FutureConsiderations.ca

An almagamation of those sites has proven to be far, far more accurate than NHL Central Scouting.

I'm 100% positive that Samuelsson will NOT be a third round pick.

Yeah you were right on both of those guys.

2010 looks amazing right now.

Tinordi, Ellis, Gallagher all top prospects.... traded for Bournival and Holland, so that makes 5 guys out of that draft, then you have Macmillan developping well.

Yes, but i was considering McDonaugh/Pacioretty/Subban/Weber are all proven NHLers (Weber will be solid 3rd pairing/PP guy in a couple more years), and we are assuming Gallagher et all "should" do well; but still to be proven (is Gallagher a Cory Locke/Nigel Dawes type?, Is Beaulieu a David Fischer?, can Tinordi stay injury free (my biggest worry for tall players)?

The only negative thing I have read on Gaunce is that his skating is not great, and scouts had wanted to see a bit more offence from him this year, thus some are projecting him as a 3rd liner with 2nd line potential, which is still not terrible, but not what you'd expect from your first round pick.

The only negative thing I have read on Gaunce is that his skating is not great, and scouts had wanted to see a bit more offence from him this year, thus some are projecting him as a 3rd liner with 2nd line potential, which is still not terrible, but not what you'd expect from your first round pick.

Wasn't the same said about Corey Perry. I remember many projecting he would not b much more than a 4th line player because of his horrific skating.

Wasn't the same said about Corey Perry. I remember many projecting he would not b much more than a 4th line player because of his horrific skating.

In most cases, it's all a bit of a crap shoot. Hell, even proven NHLers provoke uncertainty and massive errors in terms of assessment. Look at all the fans who were so sure that Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk are 'playoff busts' the Habs were better off without :rolleyes: Anyway, we're best off not getting too wedded to our predictions about prospects. Even the most perspicuous of us, like Commandant, see through a glass darkly when it comes to this stuff.

• Upvote 1

In most cases, it's all a bit of a crap shoot. Hell, even proven NHLers provoke uncertainty and massive errors in terms of assessment. Look at all the fans who were so sure that Marian Hossa and Ilya Kovalchuk are 'playoff busts' the Habs were better off without :rolleyes: Anyway, we're best off not getting too wedded to our predictions about prospects. Even the most perspicuous of us, like Commandant, see through a glass darkly when it comes to this stuff.

I am just waiting for Mike Busto to break out as the steal of that Gomez trade

I am just waiting for Mike Busto to break out as the steal of that Gomez trade

I think this would be a good place for MOLG to put in his theory about drafting based on whether or not the player has a "hockey name"

I think this would be a good place for MOLG to put in his theory about drafting based on whether or not the player has a "hockey name"

It hardly ever fails me. I do it with music records as well. I still think Ryan Nugent-Hopkins needs to choose a last name and when he does, his scoring will increase by 30 points.

Of course Paajarvi chose a last name and his numbers decreased but... it'll help in the long run! Yes... yes... yes...

I love Dwight King playing for L.A. and Jared Knight a forward on the London Knights

To use this draft as an example (and see if I end up right), three names of players I think will be NHL stars:

- Scott Kosmachuk

- Dalton Thrower

- Nail Yakupov

Three names of players I bet will bust:

- Zemgus Girgensons

- Martin Frk

- Jordan Schmaltz

Basically if you can see their name used in a TSN.ca headline, they'll become a star. If their name is either ridiculous to pronounce, far too easy to use as an insult or just plain weird? I tend to write them off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...