2012 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

He'd turn Vancouver into a no brainer for the Cup but Pittsburgh doesn't have to do any moving to make it happen. They just have to sign him.

Doen would be the perfect addition to Vancouver... Couldn't think of a better name actually

Okay so you know how all of those other contracts we saw signed meant absolutely zero to the signing of Subban?

Jeff Skinner, whose sweater Subban once wore in an All-Star game signed a ridiculously good (for Skinner) contract of 34.35M over six years. This contract doesn't come into effect until 2013 and it was his first RFA contract. That's an AAV of $5.725M which is more than what John Tavares makes on Long Island.

This is not good. Skinner is a lot younger than Subban and a forward but if we were hoping for Subban to sign low, it's likely not happening whatsoever now. He has an overpriced contract in Carolina to point at which he can make a great argument he's better than.

Might as well offer Subban $5M+ per year and hope he signs long term because he's getting it. Not to say he doesn't deserve it because he definitely does but as we know, Bergevin was hoping to get him for less.

Okay so you know how all of those other contracts we saw signed meant absolutely zero to the signing of Subban?

Jeff Skinner, whose sweater Subban once wore in an All-Star game signed a ridiculously good (for Skinner) contract of 34.35M over six years. This contract doesn't come into effect until 2013 and it was his first RFA contract. That's an AAV of $5.725M which is more than what John Tavares makes on Long Island.

This is not good. Skinner is a lot younger than Subban and a forward but if we were hoping for Subban to sign low, it's likely not happening whatsoever now. He has an overpriced contract in Carolina to point at which he can make a great argument he's better than.

Might as well offer Subban $5M+ per year and hope he signs long term because he's getting it. Not to say he doesn't deserve it because he definitely does but as we know, Bergevin was hoping to get him for less.

Very bad news for the league... Damnit.

Good news for older players haha. They don't have to worry as much about a younger guy pushing them out to save money...

Bad news for the league?

How?

Players get a set percentage of revenues... right now 57%, in the new CBA its to be determnined.... as a whole they can't get more than that.

If the contracts are too high, escrow kicks in and knocks them down.

So how is this bad for the league that good young players get paid?

Bad news for the league?

How?

Players get a set percentage of revenues... right now 57%, in the new CBA its to be determnined.... as a whole they can't get more than that.

If the contracts are too high, escrow kicks in and knocks them down.

So how is this bad for the league that good young players get paid?

I don't think 20 yo players should get a 5,725M$ cap hit. But that might just be me...

I don't think 20 yo players should get a 5,725M$ cap hit. But that might just be me...

Who does it hurt, other than the fact there is less money under the cap for older players?

Skinner is a stud... the guy should be paid accordingly.

Who does it hurt, other than the fact there is less money under the cap for older players?

Skinner is a stud... the guy should be paid accordingly.

Small markets.

• 1 month later...

Chasing the Perfect Hockey player, an NHL Happy Hour piece with Max Vasiliev.

http://lastwordonspo...ing-perfection/

good one, but like most people Max is still too focused on strctly offensive player's as a 'best player' example, to which i have always disagreed.

99-66 never threw a check, defended a teammate cleared front of net, nor defended a 2-on -1; so likely, i submit, are inferior 'overall' players to most of the top rated d-men throughout league's history, who were good at both ends of ice, can skate backwards well, kill penalties, are not afraid to go into corners and take a hit, play 1/2 the game and a Datzyuk/Crosby would be hard pressed to ever knock a Larry Robinson or Rob Blake off the puck or from front of net, nor even have a clue how to do that.

And we see with the shootout that d-men , when given the chance, have bout the same scoring % as many of the top forwards. (no stats to back up but seems bout correct)

It never mattered how well Gretzky or Lemieux could play defence. The puck was on their stick for the majority of their shifts... the best defence is having the puck.

Exactly. The name of the game is to outscore your opponent. If you have a player that's near unstoppable, you have that much better of a chance of outscoring your opponent.

I'd honestly go with another Russian for perfect player: Sergei Fedorov.

Exactly. The name of the game is to outscore your opponent. If you have a player that's near unstoppable, you have that much better of a chance of outscoring your opponent.

I'd honestly go with another Russian for perfect player: Sergei Fedorov.

Unstoppablewith best all round game (i.e Best hockey player) would be only 1 guy and he wore a Bruin jersey.

Gretzky was best playmaker/smartest player of all time, but that was the extent, Mario was only 1 end of ice as well and best physical offensive weapon of all time, but again offense is only 1/2 the game. And highly unlikely 99-66 would put up quite the same numbers if played today, or before the 80s when the league got highly watered down and culls were needed to fill rosters.

Fedorov was a super player for sure, as Gaborick/Kovalchuk are today.

But in their prime, you would take him over an Orr-Savard-Robinson-Chara-Pronger-Potvin, not a chance?

And highly unlikely 99-66 would put up quite the same numbers if played today

Every time I read this from someone I shake my head.

Wayne Gretzky, injury problems, one year from retirement, knee deep in the dead puck era puck up 90 points in 97-98.

Mario Lemieux, returning from retirement, nowhere near the player he once was, in 02-03 with a terrible Penguins team put up 91 points in 67 games.

Also, Gaborik and Kovalchuk are not Fedorov good. Nowhere close. Only guy close to Fedorov is Datsyuk and I'd put Fedorov's best years over him. 93-94 was absolutely ridiculous. Hart Trophy and Selke Trophy at the same time. Yes, I would take Fedorov over the majority of blueliners. Fedorov could have been an all-star blueliner.

I wouldn't argue with an Orr argument.

Every time I read this from someone I shake my head.

Wayne Gretzky, injury problems, one year from retirement, knee deep in the dead puck era puck up 90 points in 97-98.

Mario Lemieux, returning from retirement, nowhere near the player he once was, in 02-03 with a terrible Penguins team put up 91 points in 67 games.

Also, Gaborik and Kovalchuk are not Fedorov good. Nowhere close. Only guy close to Fedorov is Datsyuk and I'd put Fedorov's best years over him. 93-94 was absolutely ridiculous. Hart Trophy and Selke Trophy at the same time. Yes, I would take Fedorov over the majority of blueliners. Fedorov could have been an all-star blueliner.

I wouldn't argue with an Orr argument.

between 82-87 #99 averaged 200pts, the last time he broke 100 was 94, 5 years before retiring, so you kind of make my point for me.

That as good european, american and russian players flowed into the league it weeded out the culls of the 80s and 99-66 became very good players, of course injuries/age played a part, but a cigarette smoker like Lemieux just would not average 2 points/game these days, and goalies are just that much better trained/equiped now.

Crosby's best barely topped 120points in any season to date, Ovechkin had 112 point max so far. Sure neither is really in same class, but i just think 66-99 would maybe score at a 3/4 rate of 80s-90s production and neither would touch 200points/93goals in todays game.

And Fedorov had that 1 super year of 58 goals (his only year over 50 goals), but by no means is he near the best player, and play as a d-man? you cant be serious?

There is a reason d-men always take the longest to develop, there is much more to learn about the defensive game, than any forward ever needs to be responsible for. Markov is one of few forwards that i know of who made the switch to D and is now solid at both ends of rink.

But i am quite biased towards all underrated positions and also feel wide recievers are no more important to team than a good d or o-lineman is. But they surely do get the recognition simply because they score and star RBs will go nowhere without holes being opened up by the no-name linemen/fullbacks (cept for Jim Brown/Barry Sanders).

I'd throw Joe Sakic's name in the mix in a heartbeat.

But I disagree with the argument that offence is just 1/2 of the game. When Mario or Gretzky were on the ice, offence was 75+% of the game. And when you score goal after goal and add strong scoring chance after strong scoring chance, you 1. play in opponents head, 2. make them sweat a lot and decrease their overall game and 3. and most important, you win game.

As much as I agree that many goals from them and their respective teams would not have been scored against today's level of goaltending, being the best is about winning game. Mario and Gretzky were the best at this.

but by no means is he near the best player, and play as a d-man? you cant be serious?

Fedorov played D early on in his career as well as late in his career. Bowman once said he would have been Detroit's best blueliner if he needed Fedorov to play the position.

Kari Lehtonen signs a 5 year extension with an AAV of $5.9 million. Watch for a few more signings today, the NHL has encouraged teams to submit their deals today instead of tomorrow to ensure they're vetted and approved prior to 11:59 PM tomorrow.