2012 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Cam Janssen is a moron and a douchebag

http://lastwordonspo...nguage-warning/

Completely disgusting comments... but the quote "Janssen follows up this blatantly homophobic comment, one that could only be uttered by a Neanderthal, by slapping the table and laughing about it." is just completely unfair to poor Neanderthals! Janssen's couldn't handle a Neanderthal (physically or mentally), he is obviously lower in the gene pool. The comparison would make any Neanderthal very sad :monkey: .

• Upvote 1

NHL's proposal to the PA today (excerpts):

HRR from 57% to 46%.

UFA service time from 7 years to 10.

5 years contract max.

Elimination of salary arbitration.

ELC's from 3 years to 5.

I know you have to ask for the moon and negotiate to a fair compromise but even this is a bit extreme I think.

NHL's proposal to the PA today (excerpts):

HRR from 57% to 46%.

UFA service time from 7 years to 10.

5 years contract max.

Elimination of salary arbitration.

ELC's from 3 years to 5.

I know you have to ask for the moon and negotiate to a fair compromise but even this is a bit extreme I think.

Yup, its crazy extreme.

I just wrote a full examination of the terms of this proposal, and why its a ridiculous way to start a CBA negotiation.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/07/13/nhl-cba-leagues-first-offer-to-the-players-is-an-insult/

Yes, you ask for the moon to start, and then settle for lower amounts later in any negotiation. But this is an extreme lowball, and the type of offer is concerning for all fans who hope to see the season start on time.

What do you think the odds are of the PA countering reasonably after this proposal? What a horrible way to start negotiations.

Negotiations always start off this way. The NHL knows its cannot get all these things, but it has to ask for the moon initially in order for an eventual settlement that comes in somewhere in between. Its obvious that they have to address the current habit of super long contracts circumventing the cap. As for the split in revenue, it'll probably end up closer to 50-50. My issue is not the initial offer, which I'd expect to be like this, but rather the time both sides wasted doing nothing when they could have been negotiating for months now. It makes it less likely to have a deal in place before the season starts. Both sides may see this as an advantage, thinking the other doesn't want to delay another season, but man, have some respect for the fans!

Most CBA negotiations in all businesses are settled in the last week before the deadline, or after it. Waiting this long is not that big a deal.

The problem with this proposal is that while yes, you ask for the moon initially... you also have to be somewhat realistic.

This is like walking into a car dealership and seeing a new porsche and offering $50 for it. The dealer is gonna laugh at you and not even want to continue negotiations to meet in the middle.

I suspect they will meet in the middle on most items. I am glad they are pushing for limited contract years.

That's for sure. Well... for 4 of the 5 items.

Where the real battle is : 57% to 46%. It is like taking 350M$ away from a group of people. Take 1000$ away from me and I'll want to kill you.

Completely disgusting comments... but the quote "Janssen follows up this blatantly homophobic comment, one that could only be uttered by a Neanderthal, by slapping the table and laughing about it." is just completely unfair to poor Neanderthals! Janssen's couldn't handle a Neanderthal (physically or mentally), he is obviously lower in the gene pool. The comparison would make any Neanderthal very sad :monkey: .

I think everyone should read this article. It's not just about Janssen but of our misplaced priorities on the players we want on our NHL clubs.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/07/13/side-with-the-stars/

Not a bad move by Burke. Bernier isn't a guaranteed starter though.

Right, but I think Bernier has a higher ceiling than Reimer.

Good to mention at this point this rumour originally came from hockey insiderr so... likely not true.

thats the point of the account though, its a joke account in essence

According to TSN, the Flyers sign Weber to a 14-year offer sheet.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400969

The Philadelphia Flyers have signed defenceman Shea Weber to a 14-year offer sheet worth upwards of $100 million.

The Nashville Predators' have seven days to match the offer if they wish to retain Weber's services.

The restricted free agent was awarded a one-year $7.5 million deal through arbitration after Weber and the Predators failed to come to a long-term agreement prior to the 2011-12 season.

According to TSN, the Flyers sign Weber to a 14-year offer sheet.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400969

I say Nashville has no choice to match the offer. At worse they can trade him after for lot more then they would get in compensatory picks. Not sure if this offer sheet will hurt Nashville's trade return.. but hey, not our concern hehe

I wish for a trade with a western team. Weber would be a great Pronger replacement, and a great fit for the already scary skilled Flyers.