RFA qualifying offer predictions

dlbalr

As most of you know already, the deadline for the Habs to send out qualifying offers is 5 PM EST tomorrow. In all likelihood they've already been sent but we won't find out who wasn't qualified until afterwards in all likelihood. The Habs have a whopping 20 players to qualify this year (including Kyle Klubertanz who was unsigned all year but has already committed to staying overseas). Assuming Montreal were to qualify and sign the other 19 RFA's, they'd be up to 49 on the 50-man contract limit before looking at UFA's or other prospects. In other words, expect quite a few to be let go. So, here's the list of RFA's, make your predictions on who gets an offer and who doesn't.

Hunter Bishop

Michael Blunden

Andrew Conboy

Raphael Diaz

Lars Eller

Alexei Emelin

Andreas Engqvist

Olivier Fortier

Blake Geoffrion

Kyle Klubertanz

Dany Masse

Mark Mitera

Brendon Nash

Petteri Nokelainen

Aaron Palushaj

Carey Price

Frederic St. Denis

Robert Slaney

P.K. Subban

Ryan White

Here are my predictions:

Qualified: Conboy, Diaz, Eller, Emelin, Engqvist (I think he'll sign overseas but the Habs should keep his rights), Fortier, Geoffrion, Klubertanz, Nash, Palushaj, Price (already qualified with the arbitration note), St. Denis, Subban, White

Unqualified: Bishop, Blunden, Masse, Mitera, Nokelainen, Slaney

Those 6 unqualified plus Engqvist going overseas and Klubertanz staying there would put Montreal at 42/50 for contracts, allowing room to sign a handful of UFA's between the NHL and AHL teams while leaving a couple of spots open (perhaps one for Galchenyuk although I'm hoping he's OHL bound next year).

I want to see Conboy fight at the NHL level.

He's got a long way to go to get there. To be honest, I considered guessing him as a non-qualified guy, 4th year wingers whose ideal role is a 4th liner on the farm aren't locks to be kept. Given the extra youngsters going to Hamilton, I think they'll keep him but his days of being a legit NHL prospect I believe are pretty much done.

I think it'll be even less. I can see Conboy, Palushaj (I'm not at all impressed, he looks like career minor leaguer to me), Klubertanz, Masse, and Fortier being left out as well.

I think it'll be even less. I can see Conboy, Palushaj (I'm not at all impressed, he looks like career minor leaguer to me), Klubertanz, Masse, and Fortier being left out as well.

There's no real reason not to qualify Klubertanz. He's not signing anyways, doing so just holds his rights for one more year. I agree that guys like Fortier, Conboy, and Masse are all on iffy ground.

Qualified: Conboy, Diaz, Eller, Emelin, Engqvist, Fortier, Geoffrion, Blunden, Nash, Palushaj, Price, St. Denis, Subban, White

Unqualified: Bishop, Masse, Klubertanz, Mitera, Nokelainen, Slaney

Thought I'd at least change one thing.

Qualified: Conboy, Diaz, Eller, Emelin, Engqvist, Fortier, Geoffrion, Blunden, Nash, Palushaj, Price, St. Denis, Subban, White

Unqualified: Bishop, Masse, Klubertanz, Mitera, Nokelainen, Slaney

Thought I'd at least change one thing.

lol. I was about the post the exact same thing, with the same comment. :)

Don't want to see the habs near the maximum players signed to start the year, just leaves them in a sticky place for moves throughout the season. A lot of these guys are dead weight anyhow.

Those who got offers:

D- Subban, Diaz, Emelin, Nash, St. Denis

F- Eller, White, Palushaj, Geoffrion, Engqvist

(Price was already qualified.)

So it appears Blunden, Bishop, Conboy, Fortier, Masse, Mitera, Slaney, and Nokelainen were all let go.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636054

The players who received qualifying offers from the team include defensemen P.K. Subban, Raphael Diaz, Alexei Emelin, Brendon Nash and Frederic St-Denis as well as forwards Lars Eller, Ryan White, Aaron Palushaj, Blake Geoffrion and Andreas Engqvist.

http://canadiens.nhl...s.htm?id=636054

The players who received qualifying offers from the team include defensemen P.K. Subban, Raphael Diaz, Alexei Emelin, Brendon Nash and Frederic St-Denis as well as forwards Lars Eller, Ryan White, Aaron Palushaj, Blake Geoffrion and Andreas Engqvist.

I thought Blunden earned a spot and played well, oh well; i assume this might mean both Darchee and Moan will likely be resigned eh?

if Engqvist can only improve on faceoffs a bit, he would fit as 4th line centre and great he was offered $.

Nash and St.Denis should be battling for a spot on the big club, but none to be had on backend, unless some moves coming on Sunday.

Nash and St.Denis should be battling for a spot on the big club, but none to be had on backend, unless some moves coming on Sunday.

I wouldn't put Nash in the mix. He didn't play at all last season and by the end of his rookie campaign had hit the proverbial wall. He's still an interesting prospect but he'll certainly need time in Hamilton. St. Denis should be in the mix depending on what happens with the 7 that are signed/RFA.

I wouldn't put Nash in the mix. He didn't play at all last season and by the end of his rookie campaign had hit the proverbial wall. He's still an interesting prospect but he'll certainly need time in Hamilton. St. Denis should be in the mix depending on what happens with the 7 that are signed/RFA.

But the wall he hit was 1 1/2 years ago and even in his 1st pro year he was OK in the few minutes he played with big club. Call it a hunch, but i say he will jump St.Denis in depth chart early on.

But the wall he hit was 1 1/2 years ago and even in his 1st pro year he was OK in the few minutes he played with big club. Call it a hunch, but i say he will jump St.Denis in depth chart early on.

He might but it will take some games in Hamilton before that determination is made. Players typically don't go from being a #4 D in the minors, missing the entire following season, to the NHL.

Hitting the wall is about endurance. How did that improve with a year off?

Working out a lot while injured. Max commented on how the time off put him in a position to be in the best shape ever.

Working out a lot while injured. Max commented on how the time off put him in a position to be in the best shape ever.

Max was a different situation. By the time the Habs were eliminated from the playoffs, he was cleared to play and his concussion symptoms were gone, his neck was healed.

Nash spent the year rehabbing from the surgery, and while he'll be ready for camp, his shoulder still isn't 100% today. He's gotta keep rehabbing it. Its not like he can do what Max did with a shoulder that is still injured.

Hitting the wall is about endurance. How did that improve with a year off?

I am factoring in the full summer following him "hiting the wall' and a shoulder injury does not preclude training, even if just bike work and such. And also Nash now knows what is required for 80 games vs 30-40 in NCAA, so he is going in eyes wide open and he also now is 24-25, which is prime age.

And if he isnt 100% now he must be damn close right now isnt he? Eller/Leblanc had surgery in May/JUne and were back playing in Oct, and he had surgery last fall.

Will see if Bergevin even trades any d-men at all this weekend? If not, would put Weber as #7-8 and likely have St Denis/Nash #9-10 in depth.

Nokelainen signed an extension: one-way $575 000

Brendon Nash signs a two-way contract for the same amount.

Didn't see the Noko signing coming... but I guess that fills the need for our 4th C.