Justin Schultz

hankhab

Mediocre Diaz? Aren't you a bit tough with the guy? I remember that Streit was far from perfect either in his first year in America. IMO Diaz had a good year and deserves to come back next season. Let's be patient with our prospects.

Actually, I don't mind Diaz and recognize that Weber is still young. But let's face it, neither of those guys are doing our team a whole lot of good at this stage. The real issue, however, is that we have too many defencemen of that type - low-grade, soft, defensively dubious skating defencement who don't actually generate much offence. In terms of bottom-end D-men I'd prefer that we move either Weber or Diaz and add a Rome in order to create a more balanced blueline that can offer us more options depending on circumstances.

Oh, and as for Shultz, he's a more highly-regarded 'offensive' defensive prospect than either Diaz or Weber ever were. So if we want to sign him and force the issue between the three, that's really just fine by me as well. We should be looking at every conceivable way of getting better, especially on the back end.

Actually, I don't mind Diaz and recognize that Weber is still young. But let's face it, neither of those guys are doing our team a whole lot of good at this stage. The real issue, however, is that we have too many defencemen of that type - low-grade, soft, defensively dubious skating defencement who don't actually generate much offence. In terms of bottom-end D-men I'd prefer that we move either Weber or Diaz and add a Rome in order to create a more balanced blueline that can offer us more options depending on circumstances.

Oh, and as for Shultz, he's a more highly-regarded 'offensive' defensive prospect than either Diaz or Weber ever were. So if we want to sign him and force the issue between the three, that's really just fine by me as well. We should be looking at every conceivable way of getting better, especially on the back end.

especially on the backend? we dont need any more offensive d-men at all, Markov/Subban/Kaberle/Weber are enough, but a big toughg d-man on a 1 or 2 year deal would seem to be all that is needed.

Increasing scoring in top six is priority and also moving out 1 smallish forward (might not be necessary till next year, but soon will need a shake-up), if Gallagher is as good as we hope.

Simply cant have 4 small guys in top 6 can you?

especially on the backend? we dont need any more offensive d-men at all, Markov/Subban/Kaberle/Weber are enough, but a big toughg d-man on a 1 or 2 year deal would seem to be all that is needed.

Increasing scoring in top six is priority and also moving out 1 smallish forward (might not be necessary till next year, but soon will need a shake-up), if Gallagher is as good as we hope.

I'm saying that Schultz might be an upgrade on Weber/Diaz. Don't think just in terms of adding missing pieces, think also in terms of upgrading on the pieces you do have. Also, Markov cannot be counted on. That is just the sad fact of the case.

Really, though, adding Allen would solve much of the 'balance' problem on the back end. He offers a minutes-eating ruggedness. Round that out with a Schultz and - if Schultz comes as advertised, as an NHL-ready young offensive defenceman who can take 'important minutes' (not something you'd say of Weber or Diaz) - you've significantly improved your overall profile on the blueline.

I'm saying that Schultz might be an upgrade on Weber/Diaz. Don't think just in terms of adding missing pieces, think also in terms of upgrading on the pieces you do have. Also, Markov cannot be counted on. That is just the sad fact of the case.

Really, though, adding Allen would solve much of the 'balance' problem on the back end. He offers a minutes-eating ruggedness. Round that out with a Schultz and - if Schultz comes as advertised, as an NHL-ready young offensive defenceman who can take 'important minutes' (not something you'd say of Weber or Diaz) - you've significantly improved your overall profile on the blueline.

I buy that, cept with a "gritty vet d-man added", you have a 6 d-men set, so Diaz/Weber will be 7-8th d-men already, and with the stockpile of top d-men in AHL, the Kid simply aint coming to Habland.

Forget about it!

i think Dudley/Bergevin will be busy on Sunday and may try and use d-men in a trade or 2?

I buy that, cept with a "gritty vet d-man added", you have a 6 d-men set, so Diaz/Weber will be 7-8th d-men already, and with the stockpile of top d-men in AHL, the Kid simply aint coming to Habland.

Forget about it!

i think Dudley/Bergevin will be busy on Sunday and may try and use d-men in a trade or 2?

Ah, you're probably right. He'll go somewhere that can guarantee him an important slot. If we plan to add a rugged defender who can play in the top 5, then unless we trade somebody or Markov goes down for an extended spell, we won't be able to do that.

Schultz is Beaulieu, if we can give Beaulieu 2 more years of solid development under his belt, and not become a bust.

Thats why he's so sought after.

If you can sign Schultz, you worry about the Swiss D later, trade them both for all I care, he's better than both.

But you are right, he probably doesn't sign with us.