Would Semin signing with the Habs be hard to swallow?

Habs27

I know he is not the give all he has every shift player we would all want and MB is looking for but with little interest in him, would he not be perfect to fill our 2nd line LW position sure makes plek and gionta more of a threat.

i think i would do a 2 year 10 if he would take it

would you take him?

how much for how long?

• Upvote 2

I would. i think Semin in an offensive system like Therrien's would net 40ish goals a season.

Secondly he may be a "bad apple" in terms of effort but the guy tries hard in all 3 zones.

I would personally take a chance but I just don't see it happening.

I'm all for patchwork signings to tide us over until youth can step into the gap. If Semin can be had on a short-term deal, then why the hell not? He'd be a massive talent upgrade. You just have to trust that your leadership core is strong enough to contain any attitudinal issues he may bring. I think ours probably is, especially given that everyone will be super-motivated after last season. But whether Therrien could work with a dork like Semin is a whole other question.

Awesome....didn't even notice the forum thread title. Awesome

That's the modified one too, I had to change the beginning as starting with "Semin signs with Habs" sort of implied a deal was done. Figured I'd leave the rest alone...

I don't think there is much of a chance he signs here, but this is the winner of "Best Thread name of the Decade" for sure, hats off to habs27.

I don't think there is much of a chance he signs here, but this is the winner of "Best Thread name of the Decade" for sure, hats off to habs27.

Yeah I guess it would depend if he was a vegetarian and or ate pineapple

Don't get me wrong, I like Alexander Semin, the guy is a great skater, has a great shot and when he is on his game he is alot of times the best player on the ice, but the only problem is, is the fact that he is inconsistant...much like Andrei Kostitsyn had been in his tenure with Montreal, so I'm not sure how much of an upgrade Semin would be over AK46....maybe if we miss out on Shane Doan, or a trade involving Bobby Ryan then ok, but I am not really sure Semin is the answer for Montreal, even if it is only for a year or two

Don't get me wrong, I like Alexander Semin, the guy is a great skater, has a great shot and when he is on his game he is alot of times the best player on the ice, but the only problem is, is the fact that he is inconsistant...much like Andrei Kostitsyn had been in his tenure with Montreal, so I'm not sure how much of an upgrade Semin would be over AK46....maybe if we miss out on Shane Doan, or a trade involving Bobby Ryan then ok, but I am not really sure Semin is the answer for Montreal, even if it is only for a year or two

First of all, Kostitsyn is a 20 goal scorer who in the perfect situation can score 30 goals. Semin is a 30 goal scorer who in a perfect situation can score 40 goals. Semin's issue in Washington has been that he needs to play with a good center and Backstrom was hurt. I don't think Plekanec is as offensively skilled as Backstrom but on Plekanec's wing he'll score 30 goals easily, something Kostitsyn could never do with him.

The best part about Semin is that aside from last season which was career lows, Semin is usually handling a 15 per cent shooting percentage. That's very valuable.

I'd love to sign Semin after taking my blinders off on what his game is really like, but he has to drop his price.

I still think we should look at a two year offer for Semin.

I’d even pay up to 6 million per season for Semin.

But two years is the sticking point for me. I don’t want to offer more than that.

I think we can afford up to $6 million to bring him to Montreal. He’s one of those guys where he’d bring the one-timer money shot to Pleks line.

I’d definitely stand up and take notice of such a move by Bergevin.

First of all, Kostitsyn is a 20 goal scorer who in the perfect situation can score 30 goals. Semin is a 30 goal scorer who in a perfect situation can score 40 goals. Semin's issue in Washington has been that he needs to play with a good center and Backstrom was hurt. I don't think Plekanec is as offensively skilled as Backstrom but on Plekanec's wing he'll score 30 goals easily, something Kostitsyn could never do with him.

The best part about Semin is that aside from last season which was career lows, Semin is usually handling a 15 per cent shooting percentage. That's very valuable.

I'd love to sign Semin after taking my blinders off on what his game is really like, but he has to drop his price.

An interesting thing about Semin and the centres he played with, done by another writer at my site.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2012/07/10/alexander-semin-from-russia-with-lack-of-effort/

I'd go higher per year with Semin but we'd need to make some trades to create room. Honestly if we're adding Doan or Semin, Bourque's $3M is just not affordable.

If Bergevin is considering to sign either, I'm sure he's also considering how to move Weber and Bourque to create cap space.

I'd go higher per year with Semin but we'd need to make some trades to create room. Honestly if we're adding Doan or Semin, Bourque's $3M is just not affordable.

If Bergevin is considering to sign either, I'm sure he's also considering how to move Weber and Bourque to create cap space.

We have 6.3 million in space with 23 men on the roster, and Subban unsigned.

So Dump Weber to sign Subban and we have 7.4 million.

Dump Gomez to sign one of Semin/Doan and we have 14.7 million to sign Subban and one of those guys.

I think Commandant is spot-on about this. Shower Semin with all the $$$ you can afford, but under no circumstances give him term. Two years is an absolute maximum.

Semin has to prove that he is serious about performing at a high level in the NHL and that he is not a 'coach killer.' Two years' worth of Semin is all that any team should accept at this point.

But if he would sign for that term, yeah, I'd welcome Semin with open arms :scared:

• Upvote 1

Ugh. Serious?

Let's just say that, where Semin is concerned, the coach can end up with more than egg on his face.

(I wouldn't worry about Therrien needing Semin to get fired, actually. That's one job he can perform solo).

• Upvote 1

Interesting article here: http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/07/13/reputation-has-teams-wary-of-alexander-semin/

Despite Macguire's characterization of Semin as 'the ultimate coach killer,' Dale Hunter gives him a rather strong endorsement. That's worth considering. Still, when a talent of his magnitude gets 54 points, you can see where the rep develops. Kinda Kovalev 2.0.

Like I say, I sign him on Commandant's terms. We need that talent and we're not in the hunt for the Cup for at least one season anyway. Why not take the chance.

Interesting article here: http://sports.nation...lexander-semin/

Despite Macguire's characterization of Semin as 'the ultimate coach killer,' Dale Hunter gives him a rather strong endorsement. That's worth considering. Still, when a talent of his magnitude gets 54 points, you can see where the rep develops. Kinda Kovalev 2.0.

Like I say, I sign him on Commandant's terms. We need that talent and we're not in the hunt for the Cup for at least one season anyway. Why not take the chance.

To his defense, just like the guys in Anaheim, when your team has a collective bad season, 54pts is pretty much what you'll get... Especially if Backstrom is injured for so long...

Interesting article here: http://sports.nation...lexander-semin/

Semin is not a coach killer. Boudreau lost the room in Washington and Semin was one of those who spoke out against Boudreau. McGuire and Crawford are friends with Boudreau.