Wheeling Nailers/ECHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

I think Berger is in a bit of legal dodo, signing a second agreement. There should not be a problem with him. My second though would wonder if indeed we would have to wait for the CBA to be settled. Seems to me that we have a whole team (Hamilton) playing under some vestige of the old CBA. Do the God's just cherry-pick what they want to apply? One would also wonder if Berger could play for SC Bern without being released

Because the NHL CBA is no longer in place, he can't be run through termination waivers now, they technically don't exist. So if they do intend to go that route with Berger, it will have to wait. All of Hamilton's players are covered under the AHL-PHPA agreement which is in effect through 2013-14. The only real aspect of the old NHL CBA that is in play with the Bulldogs is the players themselves - they were assigned to the team under the now-former agreement and their contracts (aside from AHL-only deals) were signed before September 15th. Everything else (travel, allowances, per diem, etc), is covered under the AHL-PHPA deal. Long story short, it's not cherry-picking to the best of my knowledge.

I suppose the Habs/Bulldogs could try to put their foot down and block the transfer but would they want to? The alternative is they'd have to keep an unhappy Berger with Hamilton which could be a problem in the room or pay him to sit. As much as he's a non-prospect for the most part now, it's better for him to play than not. Doing this amicably could also be beneficial if the Habs want to go with the termination route (which has to be done mutually).

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am certianly glad your around to clarify things. I just try to approach each situation from a logical prospect. We all know that when it comes to law or how it is interpreted, issues can become quite convuluted. From a logical stand point if you employ someone under any umbrella, it would seem logical to me that one would have the ability to terminate said employ under that same window with some whisp of timelyness. Hypothetically what would happen if the offense was stealing , maybe DUI or , high on cocaine: who would meter out the discipline?

Off the top, I don't have a full copy of the AHL-PHPA agreement but I do have a list of notable excerpts (you have to pay to buy it and I'm not doing that) but here's my best guess. For drugs (recreation or PED), there was to be a joint committee between the league and the PA to determine punishment so presuming that has been taken care of, the league or team could punish for that. As for the others, I don't think the league has grounds to discipline for that; it seems to me that only the NFL has a morality clause as part of their CBA. Teams could suspend players for those infractions but unless there is some sort of morals clause in a players' contract that explicitly says a violation would warrant a release, I don't think there is grounds for automatic termination.

Off the top, I don't have a full copy of the AHL-PHPA agreement but I do have a list of notable excerpts (you have to pay to buy it and I'm not doing that) but here's my best guess. For drugs (recreation or PED), there was to be a joint committee between the league and the PA to determine punishment so presuming that has been taken care of, the league or team could punish for that. As for the others, I don't think the league has grounds to discipline for that; it seems to me that only the NFL has a morality clause as part of their CBA. Teams could suspend players for those infractions but unless there is some sort of morals clause in a players' contract that explicitly says a violation would warrant a release, I don't think there is grounds for automatic termination.

Sorry to put you through all that Dlbair. Your response sort of supports my notion that there is a grey area of jurisprudence when the main body under the CBA are locked-out in contract dispute, but a minor part of the body remains active under an adjunctive agreement. Again Sorry Dlbair - it was just a what if?

Anyway back to something important. Delmas was sent to Wheeling to-day per ECHL transactions.

Good news!

I think Berger is in a bit of legal dodo, signing a second agreement. There should not be a problem with him. My second though would wonder if indeed we would have to wait for the CBA to be settled. Seems to me that we have a whole team (Hamilton) playing under some vestige of the old CBA. Do the God's just cherry-pick what they want to apply? One would also wonder if Berger could play for SC Bern without being released

The big question is if the Habs decide to fight it or not.

Do they want to appeal to the IIHF and force this guy back to the ECHL, through legal means.

May not be worth it, just to get a guy back in Wheeling where he obviously is not happy about the situation and could turn into a locker room distraction.

He's pretty much failed as a prospect, so like dlblair suggested, I think they release him once the CBA gets signed.

You can bet if it was Nathan Beaulieu, or Jarred Tinordi or someone who the team thinks has an NHL future, it would change their decision on whether they wanted to start a case, legally speaking.

Wheeling plays 4 games in five nights starting tonight. Delmas got first win in first game at Wheeling (last game). We will see how much they use him in this four game stretch. Wheeling has played as many as six fewer games than some teams and with a little bit of a run could get back in the hunt. Killeen is injured and I don't know when he gets back.

Wheeling plays 4 games in five nights starting tonight. Delmas got first win in first game at Wheeling (last game). We will see how much they use him in this four game stretch. Wheeling has played as many as six fewer games than some teams and with a little bit of a run could get back in the hunt. Killeen is injured and I don't know when he gets back.

He'll get one of the next two starts at least - Wheeling has a night game tonight and a morning game tomorrow, I'd imagine there's no way a goalie gets both of those games.

He'll get one of the next two starts at least - Wheeling has a night game tonight and a morning game tomorrow, I'd imagine there's no way a goalie gets both of those games.

So much for that theory. Delmas gets the start again, it is 0-0 early. He also gets 4-1 W. We are on a roll.

Delmas was named ECHL goalie of the week. Not bad considering that was his first week with the team all season. Wheeling has quietly put together 6 straight wins to pull themselves out of the conference basement. They're now 10th out of 14th, 1 point out of 7th.

Former Bulldog Philip DeSimone (now with Trenton) was named ECHL player of the week. He was just sent down earlier this month.

• 3 weeks later...

what did he do Brian????

Just a little bit of news today as I check both ECHL and AHL transactions- Hunter Bishop has signed a PTA with Rochester and patrick Killeen who has been Wheeling's goalie of note until this year, for the past several years, was sent to Orlando. I was expecting Killeen to come back and oust either Darling or Delmas. It seems they are safely entrenched at Wheeling.

Wheeling has creeped back to fifth in the conference from being dead last at one point. Delmas who got win last night is the only Habs prospect currently on the team. What is remarkable about Wheeling, is their roster has turned over so much from start of year and they are in the hunt. We will see who starts today third game in as many nights, but Delmas may be considered the back-up to Darling because of a recent hiccup. Wild and Farnham who were in the Bulldogs pre-season camp are currently playing for Wilkes-Barre.

• 5 weeks later...

Delmas had a 44 save shutout yesterday but Wheeling has reverted back to early season form. They've won just two of their last ten and have tumbled back down to 11th in the East.

In fairness, Delmas is the only thing that still remains from Hamilton. They probably would have been better off signing better players from the start and keeping them all year. Their association with Hamilton has hurt them this year.

In fairness, Delmas is the only thing that still remains from Hamilton. They probably would have been better off signing better players from the start and keeping them all year. Their association with Hamilton has hurt them this year.

Wheeling did sign their full complement of players plus adding those from Wilkes-Barre and Hamilton (who originally sent many players down - Delmas, Lefebvre, Leveille, Chaput, Fortier, Schultz, Stejskal). Heck, Fortier got sent elsewhere since there was no room for him. They've just had an abnormal amount of callups due to injuries. It's not like recent years where the Bulldogs only sent down a player or two.

Wheeling did sign their full complement of players plus adding those from Wilkes-Barre and Hamilton (who originally sent many players down - Delmas, Lefebvre, Leveille, Chaput, Fortier, Schultz, Stejskal). Heck, Fortier got sent elsewhere since there was no room for him. They've just had an abnormal amount of callups due to injuries. It's not like recent years where the Bulldogs only sent down a player or two.

Yeah, but they had to make room for all those players, so they had to release the ones they originally had. Now with only Delmas left they have had to piece together a line up out of the beer leagues? I get what happened. My point was that they probably would have been better off without Hamiltons help this year. j