Wheeling Nailers/ECHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ellis had 4 point game eh, sign of life from him.

I'm not a big fan of +/- but it should be noted that he's -13 in 24 games, the worst on his team among active players. (Last overall is Bakker, who's up with Hamilton.) If he keeps producing though, they may want to give him a look in February for a bit to see if he's worth keeping or to see if they can do another Quailer-Czarnik type of trade.

• 2 weeks later...

Thrower has been sent back to Brampton (ECHL). It begs the question, why was he recalled in the first place? He had all of what, two practices in Hamilton?

Marc Bergevin doesn't care about the Bulldogs. I bet Sly and the rest of his staff hang around making paper airplanes when they're off the ice.

• 2 months later...

Wheeling vs Brampton April 12-2015

-this was the rescheduled game from Jan. when Wheeling's bus ran into weather related problems

-Wheeling played a nice game and won 4-2 in front of a published crowd of 3,069 but looking around, I honestly doubt half of that number were there. Not sure who they are fooling by faking attendance numbers in Brampton.

-four players who also played for the Bulldogs this season participated. Sahir Gill had a good game-two assists and a +2. Shane Bakker had a goal. Dave Makowski was steady on D and also a +2 with one assist. Goalie Frank Palazzese was the back up today after a win in Elmira NY Saturday.

-Hab prospect, Dalton Thrower who is on loan to Brampton was not dressed due to injury. Same with former Dog Antoine Corbin who has played for Brampton this season but spent most of his time on the I/R list.

The Nailers are playoff-bound which surprises me as I thought they were out of contention ages ago. They're the #8 seed and likely won't go far but that's still nice to see. When (if) Hamilton gets ousted, there may be a chance for a few Bulldogs to make it back down there (Shea and Fournier at the very least as both were recalled after the AHL trade deadline).

dlbalr, you seemed to hint Ellis unlikely to be Hab AHLer next season eh?

Or am I misremembering?

Is it because he will likely get better offer elsewhere?

there are ten players in the AHL of which Wheeling can use three: I expect Ellis, Shea and Fournier to be the ones chosen (actually they were the only Hamilton ones-the rest were with WB Scranton I believe)

dlbalr, you seemed to hint Ellis unlikely to be Hab AHLer next season eh?

Or am I misremembering?

Is it because he will likely get better offer elsewhere?

I don't see the Habs giving him a qualifying offer. Maybe they offer him an AHL deal but I could see him going the CIS route to be honest.

Shea has now been sent down and Fournier is no longer on the roster. I'm thinking Wheeling had a change of heart as to which AHL'ers they'd like to use.

The Nailers are up 2-1 in the series but Palazzese (who was April's goalie of the month) got hurt in the 3rd period last night.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing official but there are rumblings the Habs won't be back with Wheeling next year. That's not really that surprising given that there are now 28 teams in the league; there don't need to be many split affiliates anymore. Speculation is that they're going to take over the Brampton affiliation but that's unconfirmed. The Beast are announcing their NHL affiliate next Thursday (and are running a daily countdown on their Twitter page with info on who their affiliate won't be).

Will it be good for Habs to have own team, or not really matter in grand scheme?

It wouldn't matter much in the grand scheme of things. The Habs/Bulldogs haven't sent many players down in the past and I don't see that being the case with them in St. John's. In fact, I expect there to be less movement between the AHL/ECHL as I imagine the IceCaps will carry a couple of extra spares because of the extra concerns with travel.