Wheeling Nailers/ECHL General Discussion Thread

dlbalr

Yeah, but they had to make room for all those players, so they had to release the ones they originally had. Now with only Delmas left they have had to piece together a line up out of the beer leagues? I get what happened. My point was that they probably would have been better off without Hamiltons help this year. j

Those players are 'dime a dozen' though, depth ECHL'ers are released and signed daily. Also, they've lost as many players to WBS than to Hamilton (Farnham, Wild, Payerl, Kuenhackl, McNeill is up now too, Sneep was recalled and then traded). I'd certainly attribute their struggles to horrible affiliate luck.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those players are 'dime a dozen' though, depth ECHL'ers are released and signed daily. Also, they've lost as many players to WBS than to Hamilton (Farnham, Wild, Payerl, Kuenhackl, McNeill is up now too, Sneep was recalled and then traded). I'd certainly attribute their struggles to horrible affiliate luck.

I don't even recognise their line-up. At the start of year there are a few players that they can choose from that actually got some talent. What Pittsburg does doesn't matter to me, but I would recognise that they have probably done as much damage as Montreal. Once those players are displaced, then they are looking at the "dime a dozen" depth players or as I put it the "beer leaguers" I have no regrets in reference to Wheeling that Hamilton did what it did. I am just pointing out that Montreal has hindered their affiliate this year.

Delmas with the shutout last night apparently has the career record for Wheeling keepers according to their website. I would not expect Delmas to suit up in a 2pm turn around game this afternoon. I would expect him to be reconsidered for the starting goaltending job if Darling pitches another so so.

definitely tough in the ECHL. From the team I saw in San Francisco in November, I think there are 5 players left on the roster. The fans, who are back watching hockey in the Bay Area after years of nothing in the way of Minor League hockey, seem quite puzzled by the turnover via their facebook posts. And a lot were not call ups to Worcester of the AHL but a lot of wheeling (no pun intended) and dealing by the management with other ECHL clubs. Pat Curcio who is from Richmond Hill, Ont is the coach and GM. The financial backers are from London (Farhi Investments) and Toronto (Pickle Barrel Restaurants). Current salary cap is $12,400 per week to cover all salaries. Players on AHL contracts make more obviously

addendum: I double checked and 49 players have played for the Bulls this season with 19 on the current roster. We were at home game 3 and ex Habs prospect Thomas Beauregard had already been cut by that time

Edited by miklin

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Delmas has been named ECHL goaltender of the Week :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Daltan Leveille scored for San Francisco last nite in a 2-1 shootout loss to Stockton. Radio broadcasts of Bulls games are available via a link on the team website. Currently four players who have dressed for the Bulldogs this year on the SF roster. Former Syracuse Crunch broadcaster Jason Lockhart is the team broadcaster and media guy.

Alexander Avtsin still hasn't bothered to report to Wheeling despite being sent down now 10 days ago. I suspect we're quickly approaching another situation like Alain Berger where he simply will refuse to report and the Habs will run him through release waivers before terminating his contract.

too bad, had the skills but just not the mental part i guess.

Alexander Avtsin still hasn't bothered to report to Wheeling despite being sent down now 10 days ago. I suspect we're quickly approaching another situation like Alain Berger where he simply will refuse to report and the Habs will run him through release waivers before terminating his contract.

I think this was all part of the plan in assigning him to wheeling.

Habs free up a contract spot.

Avitsin gets out of a deal that had been an ELC slide in his first season in Hamilton, and would have been signed to next year. This way he goes back to Russia.

Its unfortunate he never developped but this is honestly best for both sides.

I'm thinking the release route is forthcoming. Wheeling's season is over now; if the Bulldogs recall him they may not be done with him. If they don't though, it's probably a telling sign his days are numbered.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wheeling played first exibition game on Saturday against Elmira. I only recognized Condon and Cianfrini who have recently sent from Hamilton. The other suspects haven't shown up, at least on the gamesheet. Condon kept Elmira off the score sheet for half a game and left leading 4-0. His replacement let in five unanswered goals, and Wheeling lost 5-4

Wheeling played first exibition game on Saturday against Elmira. I only recognized Condon and Cianfrini who have recently sent from Hamilton. The other suspects haven't shown up, at least on the gamesheet. Condon kept Elmira off the score sheet for half a game and left leading 4-0. His replacement let in five unanswered goals, and Wheeling lost 5-4

Condon should benefit from the injury situation with Pittsburgh. Since Vokoun's out, their AHL starter is now backup; since everyone bumps up a notch on their depth chart, they're probably not sending a goalie down for a bit. One of the goalies in camp is a 37 year old who has been in Austria for over half a decade, the other played in a league I've never heard of before (and was simply awful). It's Condon's job to lose.

Full training camp roster: http://echl.com/stats/roster.php?team_id=25

On another note, I think we may as well keep this thread going and not start a new one for the upcoming season like we'll do for Hamilton once their season gets a bit closer.

Condon will have some actual competition now as the Nailers have received Peter Mannino on loan. He has spent the better part of the last five years as an AHL goalie; I imagine that he'll now get the nod as the #1 to start the year.

Didn't you have Mannino on your AHL affiliate, or am I greatly mistaken. That name is setting off a seething cauldron of bells.

same. Pretty sure he was in the game somewhere.

same. Pretty sure he was in the game somewhere.

I can't find him in EHM (so he's retired now). There's nothing in the HWL archives to say he was traded and a quick scan of the old protected lists didn't show his name either. There was a Mannino (a forward) but I don't see the goalie; like you guys, I think he was in there though.

• 2 weeks later...

Wheeling won last night despite being outshot badly. Condon made forty saves for the win. Chaput did not show up on their opening roster. MacAuley and Grassi both played

It might be a visa issue for Chaput (odd since he played there last year). MacAulay just got his a day or two ago so Chaput, having been assigned at the same time, could still be waiting for his. It's nice to see Condon get off to a strong start.

It might be a visa issue for Chaput (odd since he played there last year). MacAulay just got his a day or two ago so Chaput, having been assigned at the same time, could still be waiting for his. It's nice to see Condon get off to a strong start.

The opening rosters are usually a dogs breakfast because they need usually to devoid themselves of players with the influx of players from the mother clubs. I have four from Montreal and six from Pittsburg. Are my figures correct?

The opening rosters are usually a dogs breakfast because they need usually to devoid themselves of players with the influx of players from the mother clubs. I have four from Montreal and six from Pittsburg. Are my figures correct?

My quick count:

3 from Montreal/Hamilton right now since Chaput isn't on the roster (MacAulay, Grassi, Condon); when he's there it'll be 4.

4 from WBS (Sylvester, Rowney, Minella, Manderson. Merth, who was in Wheeling last year, is with WBS as is Mannino. Were those your other two?