2013 NHL Trade Deadline

JoeLassister

Douglas Murray to Pittsburgh is being reported. Why couldn't they wait to do these moves until after the Habs play them tomorrow?

Two 2nd rounders is the reported price going the other way, one may be a conditional selection (depending on their success in the postseason). Another somewhat steep price to pay for sure.

Murray won't play vs the Habs tomorrow https://twitter.com/Richardlabbe/status/316256819041402880

Morrow neither https://twitter.com/JoBern/status/316257277202014208

MB has to do something. Even if we're not selling the farm for this year's cup, to not make any significant moves would also be a mistake. While we aren't one of the top-4 favorites for the cup this year, we're far from out of it. MB has to make some moves to at least get us deep in the playoffs. It's irresponsible to sell off all of our building blocks for a chance of a cup this year, but it's also irresponsible to not do anything and pass up on a chance to win this year as well.

While all his move to date have been good moves, we have ourselves in the conversation for the cup. To not entertain that would be just as bad as going all-in (Which is what I think Pittsburgh is doing this year).

I go back and forth on this, but at the end of the day I don't think you can countenance moving top prospects or very high picks on a swing-for-the-fences attempt to win now. Like you say, we're in the conversation but no one looking at this team is going to favour us over Boston, Pittburgh, Chicago, or L.A.. What I'm hoping MB can do, therefore, is acquire one or two under-the-radar-type acquisitions (3rd-4th-line type, or 5-6 defenceman) that provide valuable service in the playoffs without costing us an arm and a leg. Maybe this is pie in the sky, but such trades can happen, and between BooBoo and Prust MB has shown himself to have a good eye for guys of this profile. That's what I'd be looking for in any case.

What about EDM Ryan Smyth (1 more year at 2.25M) ? We talk a lot about Jagr, and rightly so. But what about Smyth? He is a LW and could score the goals around the net (esp. if Bourque is to be out longer). He could play LW with Pleky & Gio.

What about EDM Ryan Smyth (1 more year at 2.25M) ? We talk a lot about Jagr, and rightly so. But what about Smyth? He is a LW and could score the goals around the net (esp. if Bourque is to be out longer). He could play LW with Pleky & Gio.

he has scored only 2 goals this year. He's 37 now and won't keep up all game with Pleky, but he can play in specific situation. great leader and warrior..

he has scored only 2 goals this year. He's 37 now and won't keep up all game with Pleky, but he can play in specific situation. great leader and warrior..

I'm working on my list of potential available players the Habs might be interested in (largely more depth players), I can tell you Smyth will be nowhere near that list. I don't think he's anything more than a 4th liner at this stage. I also would wonder if he'd consider retiring after this season; if so, his $2.25 M cap hit would stay through next year. Good leader (warrior may be overstating things a bit at this stage of his career) but I'd look elsewhere.

I wouldn't mind Anton Babchuk as a deadline add-on. He's often injured but on his last year, 6'5", shot blocking machine. Probably not the toughness people are looking for (he rarely hits) but he's an insurance pick up.

Ryan Whitney is another possibility since he's got a bit better in recent weeks. Talk is that he's playing for a trade.

Not much choice really.

I wouldn't mind Anton Babchuk as a deadline add-on. He's often injured but on his last year, 6'5", shot blocking machine. Probably not the toughness people are looking for (he rarely hits) but he's an insurance pick up.

Ryan Whitney is another possibility since he's got a bit better in recent weeks. Talk is that he's playing for a trade.

Not much choice really.

Whitney is just as bad as Kaberle is defensively this year. Been watching him out here and it may be the coaching, as everyone constantly forgets their assignments, but he's no better. I don't want Whitney, just another Kaberle.

Whitney is just as bad as Kaberle is defensively this year. Been watching him out here and it may be the coaching, as everyone constantly forgets their assignments, but he's no better. I don't want Whitney, just another Kaberle.

I watched some Whitney recently, he wasn't looking as bad. According to @MurphysLaw74 an ESPN reporter the Boston Bruins are in the process of trading for him right now.

Latest from Pierre Lebrun, with comments about Habs and Clowe http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/22972/rumblings-bs-habs-canucks-like-clowe

Interesting read basically confirming that MB is looking for deadline deals and has no interest in trading significant young assets.

Clowe's price will go down to a 2nd, and a prospect. Right now all sellers have a huge price-tag on their players. It's common sense, if they want the player earlier, their gonna pay for it.

I have a feeling is we make any moves at or near the deadline, Leblanc is gone. We're pretty good down the middle with Pleks, DD, Eller and possibly Galchenuyk all capable of being our top 3 centers. Leblanc's talents would be wasted on this team at center as he would only slot in at the 4th line center, 3rd at best with injuries. We're more in need of a natural winger than we are wasting talent on the bottom lines. Look at Vancouver last year, they saw Hodgson was going to be a top-2 center, but there was no room on their team, so they traded him for a big, young, physical winger they needed. I think we should do the same with Leblanc.

Iginla a healthy scratch tonight for Calgary. A sign a trade is close for him?

Some of the Boston players speculated to be part of a return (Bartkowski and Khoklachev) are conspicuously healthy scratches as well.

Although Bartkowski looks like he could be decent and Khoklachev has some upside, that's pretty underwhelming for Iginla. On the flip side, that should drop Calgary in the standings which should be good for the 2nd rounder of theirs that the Habs have.

Eklund reporting the deal may be stalled because the deal may get bigger. Maybe Feaster realized he should be getting more and forcing the Bruins to Pony up more?

I know it's Eklund, but at this point it's plausible, as McKenzie reported Feaster was calling LA/CHI/PT to get a better deal. Watch Boston pull Iginla and Bouwmeester out of Calgary. That would make a scarey Bruins team.

How about:

Iginla + Bouwmeester or Kipper

For

Hamilton, Bartkowski, Khoklachev and Boston's 1st.

Holy shit, TSN reports Iginla went to Pittsburgh for Ken Agostino, Ben Hanowski and Pittsburgh's 2013 1st!

That's a former 3rd rounder, a former 5th rounder, and an almost guaranteed 30th overall pick for Jarome.

It's a shame Jarome didn't have us on his list. I'd love to have him on the team for Steve Quailer, Gabriel Dumont and Calgary's 31st overall pick.

I'm currently leading my fantasy pool (never happened in 6 years) by 18 pts.

Guess who has Iginla. Yes, the guy chasing me right behind... :wall:

Unconfirmed but BOS-CGY appears to be Khokhlachev/Bartkowski/conditional 1st round pick for Iginla. 1st rder conditional on Iggy re-signing.

And that's why you ignore Eklund, Turd :)

I posted that above :P

I only mentioned Eklund because he said Calgary was holding out for more, which made sense. To my surprise it sounds like Iginla was the wone holding up the trade, sounded like he wanted to goto Pittsburgh.

Mildly off-topic, but does anyone have a list of the picks Montreal has in the top three rounds? Because, really? We have Calgary's 2nd? That's some serious gravy-sauce Batman!