2013 Hamilton Offseason Thread

dlbalr

Hamilton signs Ben Duffy to a 1 year, two way contract. Unlike standard NHL two-way deals, this is a two-way AHL/ECHL contract.

Perfect deal for him. If he learns defence he could be the new David Desharnais (no, not guy in doghouse, guy who earned his spot on the roster through being one of the best in two minor leagues)

Defenceman Adam Ross, who ended the season on a PTO last year with Hamilton, has signed with the Cardiff Devils of the EIHL (British league). He'll be teammates with former Hab prospect Andrew Conboy, who signed with them yesterday.

Hamilton Bulldogs sign former Buffalo Sabres draft pick Drew Schiestel.

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?17609

There's the depth pickup they needed, although I still think they need a top-4 AHL veteran. It's hard to believe he was once a 2nd round pick as his numbers aren't too pretty in the pros (after being a two-way guy in junior).

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?17609

There's the depth pickup they needed, although I still think they need a top-4 AHL veteran. It's hard to believe he was once a 2nd round pick as his numbers aren't too pretty in the pros (after being a two-way guy in junior).

Buffalo put a lot of stock into his performance with Mississauga for the 2007 NHL Playoffs. He's only 24 and being a Hamilton native I'm sure he's happy to play for his hometown. He was looking like a good pick for the Sabres back in 2010-2011 and was selected for the AHL All-Star game but he got injured. He hasn't been the same since.

• 2 weeks later...

Two more signings today, one a re-signing of sorts. D Matt Grassi, who spent a bit of time with Hamilton late in the year, inks a one year, one-way AHL deal while LW Justin Courtnall signed a one year, two-way pact. Courtnall had 9 points in 44 ECHL games last year and never had more than 7 in a single season in college. I'll admit I know nothing about him - I'm hoping he's a defensive forward based on those numbers. For those noting the name, he is Geoff Courtnall's son and Russ Courtnall's nephew.

Justin Courtnall had a one year contract with the Bruins. He's a bit of a scrapper too.

I can't find any NHL contract history for him. I believe he was on a minor league deal with Boston, much like he is with Hamilton.

Enforcer (and Hamilton native if you didn't catch the many, many references during the broadcast) Kyle Hagel has signed a 1 year minor league deal with Portland.

A couple of other players who suited up briefly with Hamilton have moved overseas as well:

Riley Armstrong - EV Landshut (German 2nd league)

Dean Ouellet - Arystan Temirtau (Kazakhstan)

Hamilton adds more defensive depth...unfortunately it's not of the good variety. They've inked 23 year old Joel Chouinard to a 1 year, two way contract. He has 100 games of experience in the AHL over the past three seasons. Chouinard's brother is Jacob Gervais-Chouinard, a goalie who played 3 games in Hamilton late last year (and who will also attend rookie camp).

http://www.hamiltonbulldogs.com/pressbox/news/?article_id=434

Antoine Corbin signs a 1 year deal with Cincinnati of the ECHL. What a fall from grace when it comes to how the Habs' brass thought of him. This time last year he was gearing up for rookie camp (which the lockout canned), got a tryout with Hamilton, makes the team, spends most of the year there...and doesn't get a sniff from the team in the offseason.

• 2 weeks later...