3/1 Toronto @ Montreal

PK is not Markov. Markov is an old vet, PK is still growing and learning. I suggest it us also a coaches job to know which players respond to which treatment. Ever notice how PK bounces back strong from these minor benchings? Don't you think MT has noticed too?

PK wasn't very good for three games. It wasn't a single incident test got him benched.

Why is Gionta out in OT so much? Why iGalchenyuk is nailed to the bench in OT and 4 on 4 or 4 on 3 situations is beyond me.

I know you're in part referring to the past two OT games where Gionta played more but in this one, each of them had just one OT shift.

Anyone else see the picture of weise's cut? It's in the twitter feed on the front page, Dave Stubbs I think. Nasty cut above his lip with a bunch of stitches. He's lucky he didn't get an eye or the throat.. Came back in the game shortly after with that cage. Reminds me of Steve begin years ago when he smashed all his teeth out. Love players like that

Subban was a MONSTER. I love how much this guy wants to dominate in big games and in rivalry matches. None of this grim determination (Pleks, Gio) or wilting under pressure (Eller?) for him - there's a sheer joy to how he plays that makes him fabulous to watch. How many NHLers play the game with that kind of pure love of what they're doing?

Gallagher is always a handful, but he seemed especially spirited tonight as well.

A fair bit of ragging on Bourque on this thread. I've said it before, he is a paycheck player. He will do the bare minimum necessary to stay in the lineup and get a regular shift. It's really that simple.

Anyone else see the picture of weise's cut? It's in the twitter feed on the front page, Dave Stubbs I think. Nasty cut above his lip with a bunch of stitches. He's lucky he didn't get an eye or the throat.. Came back in the game shortly after with that cage. Reminds me of Steve begin years ago when he smashed all his teeth out. Love players like that

He looked like the Joker. I really wish the NHL would stop being so draconian and allow any player to wear a cage.

Subban was a MONSTER. I love how much this guy wants to dominate in big games and in rivalry matches. None of this grim determination (Pleks, Gio) or wilting under pressure (Eller?) for him - there's a sheer joy to how he plays that makes him fabulous to watch. How many NHLers play the game with that kind of pure love of what they're doing?

Gallagher is always a handful, but he seemed especially spirited tonight as well.

A fair bit of ragging on Bourque on this thread. I've said it before, he is a paycheck player. He will do the bare minimum necessary to stay in the lineup and get a regular shift. It's really that simple.

I find it interesting how on other boards they scrutinze guys like Subban, Markov and Galchenyuk for their errors and then get mad when Therrien doesn't want to play someone firewagon style. I say let them make their errors and then coach them after the game about them. Eventually Galchenyuk is rarely going to error and just make dominant plays each shift.

Gallagher is my favourite Hab by a country mile at this point. I love Subban, Price and others but man oh man Gallagher makes hockey fun, to parody Fleetwood Mac.

I would rather see Rene Bourque in the AHL and save a million bucks while opening up a spot then continue to see him be a Hab. There needs to be a rule in the locker room next to NO EXCUSES: If you resemble Andrei Kostitsyn, you don't play for the Habs.

Machine, I have never been a "punish the player for mistakes" kinda guy. I LOVE to see Subban and Galchenyuk taking chances and displaying their skills. Of course, there has to be some bedrock commitment to responsible play - I'm not going to excuse stupid penalties or ridiculous, needless risks and neglect of defensive play - but we seem to have come to the point where a lot of people in hockey react negatively to any flashy display of individual skill. "Stop dangling and just pass the puck!" "Dump it in instead of trying the cute play!" Etc., etc. This is great advice for average players, but it's absolutely horrible advice for truly gifted talents like Subban, who has been repeatedly attacked for making plays that ONLY work when he does them. I cannot believe that Mario Lemieux or Denis Savard had to put up with this kind of crap.

Gallagher is crazy, it's as though he is the ultimate product of every coaching fantasy. Hustle like mad every shift? Check. Drive the net relentlessly? Check. Make the smart play every time? Check. Screen the goalie every chance you get? Check. Every single team in the NHL would LOVE to have that guy. Hell, in Vancouver his name comes up all the time as "one that got away" from the Canucks draft net. He is basically the perfect hockey player, except for his size.

• Upvote 1

Sort of. He sat on the bench but actually didn't play another shift.

If people want to see hockey without defensive commitment they just had to stay awake and sober for Calgary/Edmonton. Neither team showed any defensive commitment and that's why it felt like an AHL all-star game. Sorry Oilers players, it's true.

I've talked about it before but Brendan Gallagher's drafting is thanks to Milan Lucic. Even during a 40 goal, 80 point season on the Giants he wasn't really on anyone's radar. The Bruins started scouting him on the advice of Lucic (a former Giant) and Scott Fitzgerald thought they could get away with drafting him in the sixth round. Same to the Canucks. The Bruins took Justin Florek in the fifth round and the Canucks drafted Adam Polasek. Both were actually decent picks for the teams in the fifth round. But Montreal went ahead and grabbed Gallagher, having scouted him after knowing the Bruins were scouting Giants games. Prior to the 2010 draft, the last draft Montreal took a guy in the WHL? 2006. Safe to say we probably only took him because we knew the Bruins wanted him, and again, all thanks to Looch.

There is a lot of Therrien hatred on here lately. I'm on the fence right now. I can't say I dislike him when I look at his record with the Canadiens.

I'm not in love with Therrien and hated the decision to hire him, but how much better could they do? And if not him, who? Guy Boucher? Imo, that ship sailed when they decided to hire JM.

If people want to see hockey without defensive commitment they just had to stay awake and sober for Calgary/Edmonton. Neither team showed any defensive commitment and that's why it felt like an AHL all-star game. Sorry Oilers players, it's true.

I've talked about it before but Brendan Gallagher's drafting is thanks to Milan Lucic. Even during a 40 goal, 80 point season on the Giants he wasn't really on anyone's radar. The Bruins started scouting him on the advice of Lucic (a former Giant) and Scott Fitzgerald thought they could get away with drafting him in the sixth round. Same to the Canucks. The Bruins took Justin Florek in the fifth round and the Canucks drafted Adam Polasek. Both were actually decent picks for the teams in the fifth round. But Montreal went ahead and grabbed Gallagher, having scouted him after knowing the Bruins were scouting Giants games. Prior to the 2010 draft, the last draft Montreal took a guy in the WHL? 2006. Safe to say we probably only took him because we knew the Bruins wanted him, and again, all thanks to Looch.

Agreed on Edmonton. As much talent as they have, none of those kids know how to play hockey. The type of hockey that guys like Guy Carbonneau and Tomas Plekanec play that can adapt and succeed in any system and play shut down defense. Those kids have been stars their whole lives, and in imo, never learned the finer points, or really anything about playing without the puck. They should keep Taylor Hall and Nugent Hopkins and trade the rest of the flashy kids for some real hockey players.

Agreed on Edmonton. As much talent as they have, none of those kids know how to play hockey. The type of hockey that guys like Guy Carbonneau and Tomas Plekanec play that can adapt and succeed in any system and play shut down defense. Those kids have been stars their whole lives, and in imo, never learned the finer points, or really anything about playing without the puck. They should keep Taylor Hall and Nugent Hopkins and trade the rest of the flashy kids for some real hockey players.

It goes deeper than that. There are only two guys on forward who have any idea how to backcheck. The defence, you can see Andrew Ference frustrated every shift. There is zero DEFENSIVE COACHING on the Oilers. You could toss Josh Gorges out there and he'd be ripping his hair out by the first period with how much they leave their zone unprotected. When Jacques Martin became free it should have been the Oilers making him an assistant head coach, not the Penguins. Now the Penguins look better despite trading away Jordan Staal, their best defensive forward. Why? Because the whole team commits to better defence.

Guys like Jordan Eberle and Sam Gagner, I have no doubts in my mind they'll get traded to different teams and become well rounded players. In Edmonton? There's no hope. Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish assume that they'll just magically one day become a better team. Remember, this is the same MacTavish who as coach trapped the heck out of the Red Wings. This is the same MacTavish who was a very good defensive player in his career! Yet there be the Oilers, thinking they are just fine putting all forward defence responsibilities on one guy: Boyd Gordon.

The Oilers are probably the easiest team to fix in the league. They got prospects coming out of the woodwork, assets to move galore and young talent on great contracts. They just have zero reliable braintrust.

The fact that PK played well last night is now being attributed to the genius coaching of MT. Let me say this "BULLSHITE". PK is a gifted very proud exceptional athlete, he knew he forked up, and he wanted to make it all good, he did. I will quote Hal Gill one more time (thats the guy who said he would never play for MT again) "You don't FIX PK Subban". You thank your lucky stars you have him and you try to HELP him be the absolute best player he can be. PK wants to be a Hab, he wants to be the difference, and he can be, just turn him loose. Will he make some mistakes YES. But will he win you games OH GOD YES.

I am now nominating Brenden Gallagher as the next captain of the Montreal Canadiens. If there is a man alive who has more heart and motivation than he has I don't know who it is. His team mates can only have the utmost respect for him. I have to say that when I watched him play for the Giants, I thought, god I hope we can draft him. You don't have to believe me , I could care less but I made it known to everyone I knew.

• Upvote 1

The fact that PK played well last night is now being attributed to the genius coaching of MT. Let me say this "BULLSHITE". PK is a gifted very proud exceptional athlete, he knew he forked up, and he wanted to make it all good, he did. I will quote Hal Gill one more time (thats the guy who said he would never play for MT again) "You don't FIX PK Subban". You thank your lucky stars you have him and you try to HELP him be the absolute best player he can be. PK wants to be a Hab, he wants to be the difference, and he can be, just turn him loose. Will he make some mistakes YES. But will he win you games OH GOD YES.

I am now nominating Brenden Gallagher as the next captain of the Montreal Canadiens. If there is a man alive who has more heart and motivation than he has I don't know who it is. His team mates can only have the utmost respect for him. I have to say that when I watched him play for the Giants, I thought, god I hope we can draft him. You don't have to believe me , I could care less but I made it known to everyone I knew.

This is literally exactly how I feel from your points on subban to Gallagher.

I honestly miss Gill just because of his relationship with PK. He really understood PK I think. Ever think he'll make a good coach? I mean he never had the skill of an elite defenseman, but he certainly had the technical defensive aspect down. Plus he's a great guy, I think he would really click with his players and they would work their asses off for him.

Btw I mean defense coach not head coach

I honestly miss Gill just because of his relationship with PK. He really understood PK I think. Ever think he'll make a good coach? I mean he never had the skill of an elite defenseman, but he certainly had the technical defensive aspect down. Plus he's a great guy, I think he would really click with his players and they would work their asses off for him.

Ya know I agree totally

Ya know I agree totally

Diggin' the Hal Gill love, great team mate and was awesome for the Habs! Totally agree as well.

well he won't be coaching in Montreal cause he hates MT. but yeah he would and I think be a great coach.